Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding castes  (Read 3148 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Modding castes
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »

We over at Failcannon are bouncing around an idea involving adding a new dwarven caste each turn of play in the inevitable sequel when the fort falls. My question is: is this possible without regenning the world? The wiki seems oddly silent on the subject, but I'm assuming no.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Modding castes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:48:46 pm »

Hmmm. I know it was possible in 40d to take an existing creature and mod it into something different (see BlockedLances), Im not sure with this version....time for some   experiments.
IT WORKS IT WORKS I JUST DID ‼SCIENCE‼
I replaced dwarves(vanilla) with dwarves(genesis), it crashed on fortmode but it worked on reclaim so far!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:05:50 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:07:56 pm »

Is there a possibility of it working without crashing? Crashes tend to make succession games difficult.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »

Is there a possibility of it working without crashing? Crashes tend to make succession games difficult.
It works when you reclaim the fort as in you abandon/fall, mod, then reclaim. But if you mod and play an existing fort then the game will crash.
Short Answer: You don't need to regen the world but you do need to abandon/lose then reclaim.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »

Well that's not quite practical. Do we have any evidence that it will always crash?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:13:49 pm »

Well that's not quite practical. Do we have any evidence that it will always crash?
The OP just said that the mod will be done after the fort falls. I'll have to mess around tomorrow to see if engravings are effected.
-edit- Game crashes when looking up desceased dwarves, that might be because vanilla dwarves are not in genesis however....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:17:52 pm by UltraValican »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 09:24:06 pm »

Well, we were also considering doing this mid-game. Have an overseer create a new caste as a "present" for his/her successor.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 09:43:46 pm »

I'm thinking of using something from the caste page on the wiki for one of them:

Some bugs are possible through modding, such as creating "fractal bodies" by defining the BODY tag in the creature level, and then creating a new caste-level definition of the creature. This generates duplicate body parts which increase in number the further away they are from the Upper Body part, with six upper arms, eight lower arms, and ten hands.

Yay for nightmare fuel.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:12:11 pm »

It won't crash if you only add castes. Genesis completely re-writes the dwarf raws, which is why crashing happens.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:31 pm »

So we can safely add castes to a currently-running game, as long as we don't mess with the castes already in place?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »

How much, exactly, can one change at the caste level?  Though I don't really want to give too much about my plans away, would it be possible to, for example, change things like body structure from one caste to the next?  Or, I don't know, replace one (but only one) caste's bones with solid gold, or something?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:59:55 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:58:01 pm »

Yep just got to apply the same tactic that BCs use to have soild bronze everything to have soild gold dwarves. To lazy to find it atm though lol
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 04:28:44 am »

As far as I know, it's possible to create a race with caste members wildly different from each other. Like these ones have 4 arms instead of 2, these are the same but ALSO have a tail and have scales, this one lacks feet but has the lowerbody of a snake and so on.

Metal bone structure? Probably doable.
As long as it's on the caste-level it SHOULD take priority over the generic bone material the root creature has. Although it's also possible that after the 8th caste like this the game will bork. There's some 'stuff' that makes it happen if you have a basic creature with vanilla raw structure and keep adding stuff to it.

It is possible to get over that hurdle though but the way I figured it out was ridiculously complex and most likely needlessly so.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 07:07:03 am »

It won't crash if you only add castes. Genesis completely re-writes the dwarf raws, which is why crashing happens.
Exactly, I stated that earlier the only reason I havn't added normal dorfs back is because I'm a crap modder.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 08:22:17 am »

As far as I know, it's possible to create a race with caste members wildly different from each other. Like these ones have 4 arms instead of 2, these are the same but ALSO have a tail and have scales, this one lacks feet but has the lowerbody of a snake and so on.
I think that REMOVING body parts might be difficult at the caste level, but ADDING should be positively cakewalk. NotResponsibleForDwarvenDeathsCausedByMisusingThisPostOrByUsingThisPostCorrectlyIfTheInformationIsWrong

Metal bone structure? Probably doable.
As long as it's on the caste-level it SHOULD take priority over the generic bone material the root creature has. Although it's also possible that after the 8th caste like this the game will bork. There's some 'stuff' that makes it happen if you have a basic creature with vanilla raw structure and keep adding stuff to it.
It is possible to get over that hurdle though but the way I figured it out was ridiculously complex and most likely needlessly so.
It's possible, alright. Unless I have no idea what I'm talking about, you can select specific materials and have them copy the raws for gold (combining the types of code used in making dragon's blood not solid and making BCs B).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2