Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? Current list, including list of fixed bugs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.msg3089089#msg3089089

impossible mandates (slade - bug #782, blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623) due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 19 (3.1%)
bug #3169 - Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #524 - Liquid glob material breath attacks come out solid
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #1346 - Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #2352 - Seasonal ice melting hangs game for a ridiculously long time
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #296 - Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #425 - Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2481 - Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it
- 95 (15.7%)
bug #3453 - Baron/etc. cannot appoint baron-appointed nobles, such as the Dungeon Master
- 66 (10.9%)
bug #4025 - Every kobold starves to death at exactly year 4 in world gen
- 41 (6.8%)
bug #3708 - Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 18 (3%)
bug #1498 - Crystal glass items can't be made, CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE appears broken
- 9 (1.5%)
bug #1582 - Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors
- 30 (4.9%)
bug #231 - Body parts from large creatures (bones, meat, leather, tusks, etc) slow workshops down due to clutter
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #197 - No wagons in trader/merchant caravans
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #3942 - Dwarves owning broken clothing. Clothes don't rot, ANNIHILATES FPS.
- 67 (11%)
bug #3685 - Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.5%)
bug #1376 - Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 5 (0.8%)
Lye, water and buckets  (bug #1324 - buckets full of water were used to produce lye, bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable, bug #1236 - buckets contain lye and water, can't be used for anything)
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #535 - Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 46 (7.6%)
bug #3898 - Entire Bone Statcks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2712 - weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 27 (4.4%)
bug #4133 - Good/evil plants/trees don't appear (feather trees, glumprongs, sliver barbs, and sun berries)
- 11 (1.8%)
bug #2327 - Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #4550 - Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #4552 - Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 10 (1.6%)
bug #4833: When embarking, crashes when memory use reaches 2GB.
- 6 (1%)
bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 2 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 604

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: clothes fixed! | old poll results | poll restarted | 344/607 fixed  (Read 39477 times)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - poll
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2011, 03:36:13 pm »

Not really. It's more like the lack of a feature. A bug would be if there was a system to prevent them from hopping into the adverse conditions, but that feature didn't work right. As it is, Toady hasn't implemented any such mechanism, so there's nothing there to be bugged.
Hmm, definition of bug and (lack of) feature gets murky here...
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:48 am »

Not really. It's more like the lack of a feature. A bug would be if there was a system to prevent them from hopping into the adverse conditions, but that feature didn't work right. As it is, Toady hasn't implemented any such mechanism, so there's nothing there to be bugged.
It is similar to crutches - skill is prepared (crutch walking/dodging), penalties are implemented ("ability to stand lost"/drowning or injuries after failing) there are certain things that should be used (crutches/traits and attributes). I like to call it "design bug".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:02 am »

It is similar to crutches - skill is prepared (crutch walking/dodging), penalties are implemented ("ability to stand lost"/drowning or injuries after failing) there are certain things that should be used (crutches/traits and attributes). I like to call it "design bug".

Aren't crutches working now?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:44 am »

Aren't crutches working now?
Yes, but it was reported as bug and closed as fixed ( 0000681: Legless/footless dwarfs are ignored by healthcare ).
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2011, 11:00:35 am »

I don't think dodging into pits/water/lava is really a bug. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that in combat one might be forced to dodge a blow in a certain direction(IE: A sword comes from the right, you jump left) and fall. Plus it'd be a great use of the Kinesthetic Sense skill. Higher levels mean more directed dodging.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2011, 04:05:52 pm »

Adamantine thread isn't a bug, it's a feature.  A feature that can make a dwarf's injured hand worth more than everything they own or wear.
Dude, have you ever really LOOKED at your hand?  Wooooah...

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:05 pm »

I voted for the one about blunt weapons, probably due to liking adventure mode for main play and playing Fortress Mode on my bored days.

although.... a number of issues with combat are directly addressed by the Genesis mod, especially the blunt weapon one and several workshop ones.

but on the note of what IT said on page 1, i HAVE had formal training with a variety of medieval weapons, and yea, a steel warhammer could quite easily crush in the head of someone even with a helmet. in fact, the class required signing a health waver before taking the blunt/heavy weapons section even though we used weapons with about 3 inches of padding and never actually swung them. kinda left swords as the most interesting part of the class since you can actually spar with blunted swords and stuff....

(god dammit i always ramble)

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2011, 11:46:59 pm »

Voted for clothing. I would really, really appreciate it if the high-quality clothing I create wasn't just another useless craft item to throw at caravans.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 05:07:50 am »

I voted clothing too, I hate clothes of dead goblins and dorfs cluttering my fort because dorfs claim them.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2011, 05:21:02 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4833 is one I'd add. It looks like I can do a 10x10 embark, but 16x16 returns a crash when I hit around 1.9G or so. If I go way over, I crash to the desktop. If I cut it close, I can get to the embark screen and hang forever.

There should at least be work to do exception handling to return an out of memory error even if the software must die. Better yet if some form of error checking can prevent a request for data (too large a size) that will blow the memory up. Anyway, much is suggested in the bug report, but this is going to confuse the hell out of newbie people with higher-end machines figuring their Win 7-64 bit 9G memory machine shouldn't have any trouble, then wonder why they get to the embark point and it crashes to the desktop no matter what.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2011, 05:37:07 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4833 is one I'd add. It looks like I can do a 10x10 embark, but 16x16 returns a crash when I hit around 1.9G or so. If I go way over, I crash to the desktop. If I cut it close, I can get to the embark screen and hang forever.

There should at least be work to do exception handling to return an out of memory error even if the software must die. Better yet if some form of error checking can prevent a request for data (too large a size) that will blow the memory up. Anyway, much is suggested in the bug report, but this is going to confuse the hell out of newbie people with higher-end machines figuring their Win 7-64 bit 9G memory machine shouldn't have any trouble, then wonder why they get to the embark point and it crashes to the desktop no matter what.
Done

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

Thank you. I've backed my default settings to 10x10, I was allowed to embark, but then I crashed on a save so I'll back it down and start over at 9x9. I'm *almost* tempted to set up a Linux VM and run DF that way to see if I can get more apparent memory, but I think I'll just do with a 9x9 start instead and see how close I can come to blowing that up without quite actually doing so.

DF does need better memory management for at least exception handling, but at least a 'safety' of some sort to keep me from making obviously too high a demand is a start. :)

ashein

• Bay Watcher
  • you must construct additional magma pumps!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2011, 04:11:56 pm »

Voted for one of clothing bugs. Though I'm playing on a 1x1 embark with no immigration (disabled dwarven caravans), the amount of child-claimed stuff that doesn't get moved to cabinets and the XXs in my dwarves' inventories turn the fort into a classical "smells like DF" state. Granted, the load is insignificant for me (and I capped FPS to 33), but the bug has no ingame workaround except for dfhack maybe, haven't tried that though.

The Dungeon Master bug has a dirty solution - changing creature tags. Kobolds can be "fixed" by genning the world with  NO_EAT/NO_DRINK against their raws. I rarely met rock crystals to even try making the glass. Dodging, military, weapons etc are just part of the game, you can adapt to them. 

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:32 am »

How did you do a 1x1 embark? Pray tell, I want a 30 year old 100 FPS fort already.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

ashein

• Bay Watcher
  • you must construct additional magma pumps!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2011, 11:18:44 am »

How did you do a 1x1 embark? Pray tell, I want a 30 year old 100 FPS fort already.
I used nanofortress for that. Have to run it while on embarking screen, it forces the embark rectangle to 1x1. It even works in linux under Wine in my case.

It also looks like by year 7 or something all the "passing" creatures except FBs are exhausted on my map :( dammit, these giraffes were tasty.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11