Advanced search  

Poll

What should I add next?

More magic.
More summons.
More encounters.
More civs.
Usable Mognet.
More loot! (Loot's already in for some monsters.)
Nothing, your mod's epic as it is right now.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Final Fantasy Mod v1.2  (Read 72219 times)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Mod
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2012, 10:22:05 pm »

*snip*
I've researched final fantasy blue magic and bestiary, and in ffix Quina Quen eats enemies to gain there spells.  I think that putting a syndrome on the creatures meat that gives the interactions would be more fitting than having it give the interaction to everbody it targets.

what i would do, in that case, would make quina's race a civ, and every animal that produces a blue magic effect be exclusive for only that civ, so you would have to luck out in a caravan to get blue magic mystery meat(tm)
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »

Oops I forgot all about civs having access to all types of meats.  Even though I just changed my embark profile to use a single meat from as many 2 point creatures as I could afford.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2012, 11:03:29 pm »

as long as you make them only accessable to that civ, im sure they will be the only ones butchering them. you dont get troll fur cloaks from elves now, do ya? also? trading with goblins? best chice, total bro tier, those green guys
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »

In addition to the various races, there are a number of FF 'creatures' that traditionally wear clothing or carry weapons, and DF would require those to be civs.  Tonberries, for instance... They're pretty iconic to the series, and they wouldn't be the same without their knives and cloaks.  Maybe as a hidden underground civ, like the beastmen in vanilla DF?

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »

look in the raws, we have them, cactuars, moogles, and cait siths. im pretty sure you can only trade with moogles and cait siths. there are also feral variants of the cactuars and tonberrys that will mess. your. shit. up

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2012, 04:58:37 pm »

I'll check it out.  I had an idea of how to incorporate the Tonberries' 'get stronger as you attack enemies' mechanic, we'll see how that one goes.

I modified Malboro a bit.  The valuable 'Remedy' is their heart now, so you can make use of it in Fortress mode.  The rest is inedible, miasma-generating refuse, though.  Material/pet/trading values probably need adjustment.  (By the way, civilized creatures will happily butcher and consume former civ-members-turned Malboros, at least in the Arena.  This could be an interesting means of getting rid of annoying nobles...)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2012, 05:04:09 pm »

(double post)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2012, 09:50:56 am »

Hm. I might nerf the ferals a bit more, they managed to take on my test army of completely invulnerable creatures and cause a draw. As for magic, well...can someone direct me to a useful modding guide?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2012, 10:12:09 am »

Hm. I might nerf the ferals a bit more, they managed to take on my test army of completely invulnerable creatures and cause a draw. As for magic, well...can someone direct me to a useful modding guide?
I thought magic would be confusing too, but once you get a look at all the tags. And fiddle with them a bit, It's easy to understand. I'm still messing around with how to figure out how to get a MATERIAL_EMISSION to use two different materials (Lead Bullet, Smoke gas trail)

I just looked at the vanllia interactions, the example interactions, and a few in the spellbook.

Interactions in their own file is where you define the core TARGETs what is the SOURCE and EFFECTs Here is a very simple one I made for a "buckshot" effect:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[I_TARGET:B:LOCATION]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_LOCATION] <-- this to me might just force the location to the standing tile.

And a "apply effect to:" interaction:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:26:29 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2012, 11:34:02 am »

Thaaanks. I'll be hammering the magic system out asap. Don't expect a release in the next week, seeing as I have to revamp THE ENTIRE LIBRARY OF SUMMON MAGIC.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »

I know you already made these creatures, but perhaps you might like to take parts of these designs for the update nonetheless.

Tonberries already tough for their size, but their attack power is modified based on two variables: whether or not they have recently been injured, and whether or not their opponent has ever been near an injured Tonberry.  It isn't hard to run away from them, but if you make a habit of killing them, they will become far more dangerous.

Cactuars are small and weak physically, but quick and experts at dodging attacks.  They also have a tendency to flee if they are losing a fight.  While in combat, they will use their projectile '1000 Needles' attack, which behaves like a physical attack in that it causes pain and bleeding, but ignores any defenses the targeted creature may have.  It will take out small creatures in a single shot and creatures like dwarves and humans in a few hits.  Larger creatures like cows last longer, but can still be worn down if you let them.  Their materials are highly valuable in trade.

Also updated Phoenix to work in the new version.  Also added the ability to revive fallen creatures surrounding it.  It will do this automatically to everyone, whether ally, enemy, or neutral, so phoenix fights tend to go on pretty much forever... but hopefully you're making a plan for the summons besides having them be megabeasts, right?

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2012, 10:55:25 am »

as long as you make them only accessable to that civ, im sure they will be the only ones butchering them. you dont get troll fur cloaks from elves now, do ya? also? trading with goblins? best chice, total bro tier, those green guys

That is a good Idea, but I want the Qu to gain blue magic from the same ff creatures the game currently uses.  I figure adding [AFFECTED_CREATURE:FFMOD_QU] to the syndromes might work as well.

Does making Qu GOBBLES_VERMIN:TOAD have any unfortunate side effects?  I'm not adverse to testing it on a couple of worlds, but if anyone already knows about any problems it would help.

"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2012, 11:41:17 am »

*snip*
I've researched final fantasy blue magic and bestiary, and in ffix Quina Quen eats enemies to gain there spells.  I think that putting a syndrome on the creatures meat that gives the interactions would be more fitting than having it give the interaction to everbody it targets.

what i would do, in that case, would make quina's race a civ, and every animal that produces a blue magic effect be exclusive for only that civ, so you would have to luck out in a caravan to get blue magic mystery meat(tm)

For the sake of accuracy, I should point out that the 'eat enemy to gain spells' is never really implied to be a common ability of the Qu so much as a rare alternate form of the more typical Blue Magic that other races can learn.  Since the 'get hit by spell to learn spell' method has more precedence throughout the series, that's probably the way to go.

On the other hand, why not do both?  It isn't too difficult to add a Blue Mage interaction to every blue magic type spell - a bit tedious if you don't do it from the start, but it's mostly copy-paste.  If you make a list of blue magic interactions, you can then give them to whatever creatures you want.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2012, 12:23:59 pm »

*snip*

For the sake of accuracy, I should point out that the 'eat enemy to gain spells' is never really implied to be a common ability of the Qu so much as a rare alternate form of the more typical Blue Magic that other races can learn.  Since the 'get hit by spell to learn spell' method has more precedence throughout the series, that's probably the way to go.

On the other hand, why not do both?  It isn't too difficult to add a Blue Mage interaction to every blue magic type spell - a bit tedious if you don't do it from the start, but it's mostly copy-paste.  If you make a list of blue magic interactions, you can then give them to whatever creatures you want.

It is a very good your suggestion that you put both on every creature, I have done the Blue Mage gets hit by a spell interaction.  I had it set so that getting hit by a weaker version of the spell makes you a blue mage, which the creature prefers to use the weaker spell(probably because the interaction never ends),  and it gives the ability to every creature it attacks as well.

Looking at ways to make a blue mage the only ones to receive a spell(and at possible origins for the blue mage) I came across entries for the qu, and thought that might be an interesting test subject as well as recruit in adventure mode.(I did play FFIX, but didn't think of the qu when I first started doing blue magic.)  I also saw the tapping the magic potential in monsters and places in FFVIII.

Currently though I've seen other modders make syndromes that only affect a certain class, and that these classes are added to creatures by syndromes.  It may even be possible to make the same interaction give similar syndromes to both Qu, and other blue mages,  it would change the way the Qu get the interaction, but eating enemy meat after a battle isn't actually the way it worked in FFIX either.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2012, 12:57:08 pm »

Yes, I do plan to somehow have the summons summonable. That means it will be possible to summon Sin, although seeing as I will make him hostile to EVERYTHING THAT MOVES, it may not be such a good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23