Advanced search  

Poll

What should I add next?

More magic.
More summons.
More encounters.
More civs.
Usable Mognet.
More loot! (Loot's already in for some monsters.)
Nothing, your mod's epic as it is right now.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Final Fantasy Mod v1.2  (Read 72201 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Final Fantasy Mod
« Reply #240 on: May 13, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »

Okay I figured out a third option for the Qu's blue magic other than being supernatural or making meat carry an igestible syndrome.  It is to actually implement an "Eat" command, even though it doesn't eat the enemy, renaming it perhaps.

It works by adding the ingestible tags from the clean command to an attack interaction and having the monsters excrete a substance that has the ingestible syndrome on it like the meat idea from earlier.  I'm currently calling it "lick", and having the Qu's lick syndrome inducing toads in the arena.

I haven't brooke out my Final Fantasy IX disk in a while, so is Eat in the battle menu, or a specific attack?  If it's in the battle menu I should leave it as a natural ability,  but if it's an attack I know of a way to make an interaction part of an attack.

Eh, I liked the syndrome meat idea better.  Aren't the Qu supposed to be a gourmet-loving race (or at least Quina's particular school of philosophy), out on a mission to sample the taste of every creature?  Besides, having creatures secrete stuff while alive will interfere with any interactions that involve them getting coated in particular substances.  For instance, you can give some creatures 'desperation' attacks by adding a self-affecting syndrome to their blood (this method can also be used to signal healers).  Also it would look weird to have every single blue-magic creature coated in some kind of liquid when they clearly aren't slimy.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 13, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »

It's in the battle menu.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 13, 2012, 06:23:19 pm »

Thanks both of you.  I was doing some more research on the frog drop attack and found that it is actually learned by eating a Gigan Toad.  I couldn't find a Giant Toad in vanilla so I copied the Giant GTF, and changed the references to the GTF to the Toad.  Then I selected all material and added an ingested syndrome that causes Qu to learn Frog Drop, but should I add an interaction for regular blue mages, considering they don't gobble vermin?  Maybe Qu can be given a cook frogs reaction so that they can sell frog meat to adventurers?

EDIT-
Also I noticed that the Gigan Toad doesn't have Frog Drop as one of it's attacks.

ANOTHER EDIT-
As I was looking to integrate your materials, since the Gigan Toad is a Monster and has loot I noticed INK_TEMPLATE which surprised me because the vanilla also has that with the same name, and I've generated three worlds without the game scrambling civilizations on me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:03:49 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15:02 pm »

Eh, I liked the syndrome meat idea better.  Aren't the Qu supposed to be a gourmet-loving race (or at least Quina's particular school of philosophy), out on a mission to sample the taste of every creature?  Besides, having creatures secrete stuff while alive will interfere with any interactions that involve them getting coated in particular substances.  For instance, you can give some creatures 'desperation' attacks by adding a self-affecting syndrome to their blood (this method can also be used to signal healers).  Also it would look weird to have every single blue-magic creature coated in some kind of liquid when they clearly aren't slimy.

If I add the syndrome to blood, it works more like the "eat" command.  The monster is stabbed by a fork, then bleeds the syndrome ingestable blood.  The Qu uses the "Lick" command on the monster and is affected by the syndrome.  if I make "Lick" kill the monster it would work more like Final Fantasy.

Even though vermin can be gobbled by creatures with the right tags,  I currently haven't been able to gobble Golden Frogs as an adventurer.  So I gave them an itemcorpse of Meat, Local creature material, muscle.

Also genned the same world with the same settings in 34.08 that I genned before and the Qu Civ is extinct at the same time they were dominant before.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2012, 12:45:03 pm »

If I add the syndrome to blood, it works more like the "eat" command.  The monster is stabbed by a fork, then bleeds the syndrome ingestable blood.  The Qu uses the "Lick" command on the monster and is affected by the syndrome.  if I make "Lick" kill the monster it would work more like Final Fantasy.

Even though vermin can be gobbled by creatures with the right tags,  I currently haven't been able to gobble Golden Frogs as an adventurer.  So I gave them an itemcorpse of Meat, Local creature material, muscle.

Also genned the same world with the same settings in 34.08 that I genned before and the Qu Civ is extinct at the same time they were dominant before.

Mm, blood is better, I guess, at least it wouldn't interfere with any other creature mechanics.  Though I'd still hesitate before turning a race known for eating everything they see into some kind of licky...vampire...thing.  Granted that you did use the 'eat' command in-battle as opposed to after it, but then in the FF series enemy creatures leave no corpse, so eating them after killing them wouldn't have been an option - while in DF, eating dead animals is just part of the game.  Meh, either way.

Have you checked if the itemcorpse idea works?  I'm not sure if adventurers can even kill vermin normally.  Maybe turning frogs into non-vermin creatures would be a better option, as appealing as it is to play as a race with GOBBLES_VERMIN, it might not work in adventure mode.  (Also, aren't the frogs that Qu eat really big?)

Which civs survive and which don't can vary significantly from world to world, especially if you generate a long history and play with a lot of different races at once.  I've seen worlds where even some of the default races die out after 200 years or so.  I'd say if you can get them to consistently survive the first hundred years, that probably qualifies them as being a viable race.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2012, 04:23:12 am »

The Frogs with Frog Drop are a seperate creature with a regular frog caste and a golden frog caste,  I can remove the vermin tags from them and leave it on toads and green tree frogs, I actually took it off to test them in the arena anyways.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2012, 01:50:46 pm »

I've had the Gigan Toad, and Golden Frog creatures mostly completed for some time now.  Complete with loot on the Gigan Toad(however it drops all the loot when butchered).  But Frog Drop is giving me a headache!  I have tried these methods...

...As an attack that applies an interaction, I can't lock the Qu from using it until it actually learns it(the advantage being it can be made stronger using IndigoFenix's Tonberry method).  I call this method Frog Hammer.
  ...As a pure learned interaction, I would need to make 99 stronger copies of it to make it level up with eating frogs(using the method from the pokemon mod) plus the interaction that keeps track of which Frog Drop to learn next.  the Drawback to that is the Qu would still know(and use) the less powerful versions of Frog Drop.  I call this Method Frog Smash.

Any Suggestions?  I add the syndromes for learning the interactions to all materials of the Gigan Toad at the end of the raws, since it copies tags from toad and applies creature variation giant.  Should I make it more independent?

Also I think Auto-Life will provide as much of a headache if not more, due to Resurrect being an I_EFFECT instead of a syndrome it probably won't delay the same way.  I looked through my Final Fantasy 8 strategy guide over the weekend, and Quistis Learns Blue Magic by eating items dropped by monsters, or refined from cards which can be won or refined from monsters.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2012, 02:55:43 pm »

I've had the Gigan Toad, and Golden Frog creatures mostly completed for some time now.  Complete with loot on the Gigan Toad(however it drops all the loot when butchered).  But Frog Drop is giving me a headache!  I have tried these methods...

...As an attack that applies an interaction, I can't lock the Qu from using it until it actually learns it(the advantage being it can be made stronger using IndigoFenix's Tonberry method).  I call this method Frog Hammer.
  ...As a pure learned interaction, I would need to make 99 stronger copies of it to make it level up with eating frogs(using the method from the pokemon mod) plus the interaction that keeps track of which Frog Drop to learn next.  the Drawback to that is the Qu would still know(and use) the less powerful versions of Frog Drop.  I call this Method Frog Smash.

Any Suggestions?  I add the syndromes for learning the interactions to all materials of the Gigan Toad at the end of the raws, since it copies tags from toad and applies creature variation giant.  Should I make it more independent?

Also I think Auto-Life will provide as much of a headache if not more, due to Resurrect being an I_EFFECT instead of a syndrome it probably won't delay the same way.  I looked through my Final Fantasy 8 strategy guide over the weekend, and Quistis Learns Blue Magic by eating items dropped by monsters, or refined from cards which can be won or refined from monsters.

If you have a method that teaches a new attack every time it eats a new frog, perhaps make each attack have a long recharge and make it a free action.  That way, if they've eaten more frogs, they should unload all of their available frog-drops on a single enemy at once, and since they're technically separate attacks and separate syndromes, the effect should stack (I think).

I'm pretty sure auto-life as it's supposed to be is impossible.  The closest thing I could come up with was creating a new creature (those little cherub things) and giving it an interaction that revived another creature while killing itself.

On an unrelated note, I've finally figured out how to get malboro infection-farming to work (previously, converted creatures would drop random bits of their original materials when butchered).  The trick is to make its body entirely out of actual plants, and make those plants drop themselves as butcher objects.  I've removed the heart (I think coming up with a separate 'Remedy' plant and making malboros drop them as an extra butcher object would be a better idea), but the vines can be brewed into high-value malboro wine or woven into thread cloth that is about as strong as leather.  You can infect creatures by forcing them to drink water that has been contaminated by malboro spores.

Is there a way of making armor that causes a syndrome when worn?  Malboro vines are apparently used in the production of the status-effect-blocking Green Beret.

The malboro creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The malboro plants it is made of:

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »

Thanks! That should do the trick!  Also the malboro is a very good idea.

Is there a way of making armor that causes a syndrome when worn?  Malboro vines are apparently used in the production of the status-effect-blocking Green Beret.

I think a contact syndrome [SYN_CONTACT] might work with clothes/armor/maybe even jewelry, if its the bottom layer, but I haven't tested it yet. it would be good for skills learned from weapons as well(If it works)  and summons from jewelry.

I haven't finished the interactions but this is currently the raws for golden frogs
And the Gigan Toad with EBO Loot
Those color stripes aren't vanilla they require this
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:38:51 pm by Courtesy Arloban »

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2012, 05:22:53 pm »

This needs gunblades. Stab, then shoot.

e: and bombers
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:45:05 pm by chewie »

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2012, 01:47:05 pm »

i feel like such a slowpoke for this, but i never actually used any of the ores from the mod untill now, and didnt realize, while it appears in large clusters and is stupidly abundant, the ores are also tremendously heavy n_n; at least in the case of nethicite. also, did we establish the usefullness of them as a weapon/armor? like as far as tiers go, like above copper and steel but X
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »

Sorry guys, but until further notice, development on this mod is suspended indefinitely. Maybe when I have more time I will return to DF modding , and this thread will remain open for ideas and general discussion, but I don't have the paitence or the time to continue.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2012, 02:49:22 pm »

Sorry guys, but until further notice, development on this mod is suspended indefinitely. Maybe when I have more time I will return to DF modding , and this thread will remain open for ideas and general discussion, but I don't have the paitence or the time to continue.

i dont mean to be rude, but all of this magic work is being done rather independently, and one can just take the latest updated mod and just add any new things and redistribute, if you so allow it
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »

A comunity FF Mod sounds legit

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 01, 2012, 09:31:19 am »

Permitted, I will contribute when I can and whatever I can do.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23