Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 802139 times)

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)
« Reply #3030 on: August 11, 2012, 09:37:12 am »

No, I'm pretty sure we dismissed the Australia of the Gods as a possible embark site a long time ago precisely because of that. The other site I found is on the mainland, a swampy peninsula jutting out into what used to be the Blueness of Malodors way back in Battlefailed's day, and it's quite close to at least three goblin fortresses to boot.

That may be so... though I'd be much more interested in embarking in range of a necro tower than a goblin fortress anyway.

Maybe if I can get a copy of the world after we create it, I'll try out an embark on Australia of the Gods and see if it's interesting at all, just for the sake of my curiousity?
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: August 11, 2012, 10:06:25 am »

Maybe if I can get a copy of the world after we create it, I'll try out an embark on Australia of the Gods and see if it's interesting at all, just for the sake of my curiousity?

Eric uploaded the world here.

Also, if the current turn order isn't carried over (which is for the best I think), I'd like to claim a turn now please.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: August 11, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

Eric uploaded the world here.

Also, if the current turn order isn't carried over (which is for the best I think), I'd like to claim a turn now please.

Oh, thanks!  Looks like I managed to miss the last few posts on that page.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: August 11, 2012, 04:23:34 pm »

I think I prefer alternate universe to post-apocalypse.  It works better in my mind if I jumped between worlds, rather than just waiting around for several hundred years.  I'd probably go sane if I had to wait that long.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: August 11, 2012, 05:15:22 pm »

How about we throw in some kind of carbonite gambit?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: August 11, 2012, 05:41:23 pm »

So... as it turns out, the star-shaped "Australia" region has transformed a bit in the world-reset. 

It's not quite star shaped, admittedly, first of all (still 99.9% certain I have the right place).  But more importantly it is home to intersecting Good and Evil biomes - specifically, a volcano ("The Rosy Hearth") on a haunted mountain ("The Tooth of Lamenting") next to Joyous Wilds tropical shrubland ("The Heliotrope Hills").  With a brook called "Spitefulflung".

It takes a large embark (or at least, wide), admittedly, to encompass all three of these, but even a choice between Volcano and evil or evil and good is pretty interesting.  After some re-checking I discovered the smallest you can get away with and get all three features is a 5x4, giving you a bit of the good area in the upper left, the volcano in the lower right, and lots of wormy-tendril infested mountain everywhere else.

I've started my own embark ("Hellboat the Failure of Battles" - Shashkogan Ungeg Nokzam) to test it out. We started halfway up the near-sheer side of a massive
21 z-level cliff (and then it's just one ledge before rising another ten or so).  It looks like it has a nice complement of minerals, including tetrahedrite and gold, and in the Good section there are plenty of trees.   

I'll report back if it seems FUN enough for the Battlefailed saga, though like the rest of you I have my doubts, given the island location...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: August 11, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »

Try playing it for a bit, see if the dead rise or if evil clouds appear. It does look like an excellent place, and I bet someone is either going to carve away that cliff face, or build a fort hanging out of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: August 11, 2012, 06:58:35 pm »

Welp.

So far so good...  Let's hope this is just "nasty, yet interesting/hilarious" and not "So FUN the embark is unsurvivable."

Edit: hmmm... not looking so good.  Absolutely everyone has "Slight Pain" - "Cannot Breathe" - "Vision lost" - "Cannot Stand" - "Cannot Grasp" and they are all requesting diagnosis and canceling jobs due to injury.  I may have to try this again from the beginning...  Yep.  Crumbled right after I posted that.  That actually beat out my thrall-dust-rain-glacier for "shortest embark ever".

This is what embarking on evil gets you, kids.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:18:23 pm by CatalystParadox »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: August 11, 2012, 07:51:56 pm »

Looks nice enough. We should be okay if we go underground fast enough, while still causing enough turn 1 deaths to classify it as a Battlefailed fort.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: August 11, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »

On my third try I managed to get everyone inside and burrowed with most of their goods by the time the rain started.  There may be a chance!

The rain is RIDICULOUS.  There are literally birds tumbling from the sky and dying because they get rained on and incapacitated mid-flight.

It occurs to me the name is awfully, horribly appropriate.  Hellboat (if you take "boat" as a metaphor for "fortress") describes the hellish location, and "The failure of battles" speaks to the utter futility of ever laying siege to the place.  The weather phenomenon, once successfully avoided, becomes the best defense in the world.  I guess the question becomes whether it remains this awesome after you have a fort safely established.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: August 11, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »

The rain is RIDICULOUS.  There are literally birds tumbling from the sky and dying because they get rained on and incapacitated mid-flight.

I love this place already :D

It occurs to me the name is awfully, horribly appropriate.  Hellboat (if you take "boat" as a metaphor for "fortress") describes the hellish location, and "The failure of battles" speaks to the utter futility of ever laying siege to the place.  The weather phenomenon, once successfully avoided, becomes the best defense in the world.  I guess the question becomes whether it remains this awesome after you have a fort safely established.

The problem is that the rains won't distinguish between goblin invaders and elven traders on the one hand and, say, the mountainhome liaison and migrants on the other. You'd need at least one breeding pair of dwarves inside, and the fort would have to be run with them and their descendants as the only sources of new dwarfpower. It'd make progress very slow, and we're much more likely to lose the entire fort early on if one gender gets completely wiped out. And several straight years of slow stagnation because no new migrants make it into the fort alive would make for rather anticlimactic updates.

On the other hand, blistering skulls and bird-killing rain.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: August 11, 2012, 08:24:43 pm »

I had that with my last embark, Astikal, which was a Sinister Glacier. By the time I made my fort in New Astikal (a cavern fort) every invader that appeared promptly got swallowed by a cloud of infernal ash. Contact with more than one unit of infernal ash was instant death. Touching anything with infernal ash covering, ANYTHING, even corpses would result in a lingering death from massive blistering and swelling.

I very nearly had a huge epidemic of infernal ash fever because someone stood in it and then took their socks off, dumping the infernal ash coated sock in the only passageway to New Astikal, infecting everyone who went near it. 75 casualties from that alone.

The only reason Astikal survived that was a project by the two surviving and non-incapacitated miners hurriedly digging a second access tunnel.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: August 11, 2012, 08:48:30 pm »

The migrants/caravans problem could be solved by making several seal-able entrances across the map. A 1-tile channel with a bridge inside should be enough. Not that we will get any sieges there, so battles are probably going to be dwarf vs dwarf.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: August 11, 2012, 09:55:48 pm »

The migrants/caravans problem could be solved by making several seal-able entrances across the map. A 1-tile channel with a bridge inside should be enough. Not that we will get any sieges there, so battles are probably going to be dwarf vs dwarf.

What I am currently working on in my game (which is now in Summer with no deaths!).  Nearly have ground-level access as well, and as it turns out, the rain doesn't fall on the "Good" section, so we can harvest trees for wood and build a road for merchants and migrants! 

The migrants who just arrived may be out of luck though...

Edit: as for the falling birds, there are actually a lot of bird-people too.  They seem to be the main inhabitants of this island.  They, of course, fall and go splat much like the rest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:36:11 pm by CatalystParadox »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: August 11, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »

Terrifying is a pretty good description of that place. :o

I'll be checking out some other locations and the terrors associated with them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 208