Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56

Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 104487 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechwarrior Online
« Reply #810 on: February 08, 2017, 11:28:00 pm »

Well that's unfortunate. Nice to know all the time and effort I put into mastering the mechs I own is going to be wiped. I'll have plenty of XP to spend but not enough c-bills to even come close to mastering as many mechs as I had mastered before.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 09, 2017, 04:19:06 pm »

I guess, although a full respec ends up costing as much as the 'mech did in the first place...

I dunno, how often will you need a full respec?  I suspect once you get stuff like speed tweak and radar derp you aren't going to spec out of them.  Only thing you might be specing out of often is weapon quirks.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 09, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »

Yep. This is going to tip things further in favor of clan scum, boating, and strip all the fun out of trying out different/joke builds.

Fuck me, can't even see myself bothering to pick MWO back up again, especially now that we're so close to the BTech top-down tactical game hitting beta.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 09, 2017, 05:39:31 pm »

Yep. This is going to tip things further in favor of clan scum, boating, and strip all the fun out of trying out different/joke builds.

Fuck me, can't even see myself bothering to pick MWO back up again, especially now that we're so close to the BTech top-down tactical game hitting beta.

This is definitely a "shit game, quit forever" moment, if it goes live as-is.

I dunno, how often will you need a full respec?

Probably never. A partial respec is still going to be like 2-2.5m CBs though, which is still a pretty decent amount just to go from one type of laser to a different one.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 09, 2017, 06:27:42 pm »

I would say that I don't know why they did this, but we all know it was for the $$$ by keeping people in the grind. Yeah, the mastery grind sucked, but once you had three you were done, and you only really needed one set of modules if you weren't doing FW. Now you have the wonderful choice between paying millions of CB every time you want to chance a 'mech's loadout or buying another one of that 'mech and grinding it all the way up to 91 SP every time you want to try a different loadout.

Seriously, fuck them. Fuck them with a splintered bat wound with rusty barbed wire.

The saddest part is that this could have been great. It could have been an addition to the quirk system that only required you to unlock skill nodes once, with free respeccing between any that you'd already unlocked. That would have been... well, not great, since it would still encourage boating, but better than this shit.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 12, 2017, 04:04:47 pm »

If it makes anyone feel better, the near-universal backlash has convinced PGI to push the changes back a month. Paul Inouye also said that the values in the pts were placeholders and that the values that eventually go live would be less extreme.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 12, 2017, 09:20:38 pm »

Still doesn't fix the fact that this is a hard nerf of a lot of (heh) quirky IS 'mechs. The LCT-1V and SDR-5K will both be dumpstered since they're losing their -50% cooldown quirks, the BJ-1 is neutered without the set of ballistic quirks that made it an AC/2 machine gun, the story repeats for every single IS 'mech that was viable because it had a set of extraordinary quirks which made it work well with a particular weapon. This is basically just "Hey, remember when Clan 'mechs were P2W? How about we make them even more OP by letting them use a bunch of decent quirks while stripping all the really good quirks off of IS 'mechs!"

I mean JFC we're going to see Kodiaks with full stacked defensive tree quirks, we're going to see ERPPC/Gauss timbies with offensive quirks, all this shit, and IS 'mechs are going to be objectively as well as relatively weaker in the same timeframe. Basically just go buy yourself some clanner trash once this rolls around since almost everything else is gonna get stomped.

That, and it's just PGI doubling down on encouraging boating. If you can only reasonably get one offensive tree, filled for one weapon type, why the hell wouldn't you boat? Should have done something with a higher SP cap and increasing costs as you go down trees, so maxing one out would mean having little left over for other stuff, making dips 1/2 or 1/3 of the way down a selection of trees more viable. That'd discourage boating and give an easy way to balance Clan vs. IS by giving Clan 'mechs a lower SP cap.

3. Run Resize Enable

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:54 am »

Skill Tree update:

-Buying nodes is now about 40% cheaper, 60,000 c-bills and 800 EXP.
-Respecs are now free of charge, and if you decide to spec back into a node you previously bought, its only 400 XP, no c-bill cost.  Respecing no longer returns the EXP cost, obv.
-All firepower trees have been consolidated into a single tree.  Ie cooldown affects all weapons.  Some specific quirks, like laser duration or gauss charge, still exist somewhere in the main firepower skill tree.
-Survival tree is getting nerfed by having it spread out over more nodes.  There's also new nodes for reducing the chance of getting critted.
-Operations tree is also getting more spread out.
-Jump jet tree gives bigger benefits, nodes for reducing JJ heat.
-Auxiliary tree for boosting the effects of consumables.

Oh, and mobility, as in torso twisting and such, will no longer be tied to the size of the engine.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:00:55 pm by MrRoboto75 »
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 21, 2017, 06:28:39 pm »

Holy shit PGI did something good! Lots of things good! Though frankly collapsing all of the weapon skill nodes into a single universal tree already removes most of the need to respec.

Though JJs got buffed? They were already looking pretty crazy in the new system.

3. Run Resize Enable

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 21, 2017, 06:31:42 pm »

Only the skills to quirk them did.

living legends' JJs are still better

Oh and the Supernova is on the live servers now.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 14, 2017, 09:38:25 am »

New info re: skill tree.

-Pushed off to future update in favor of more redesign and public tests.
-PGI realizes that they messed up:
However, achieving Skill status under the original system represented more than just using experience points to unlock associated Skills; it represented time and commitment. The proper transition to a new Skill Tree needs to account for more than just raw currency.
Players with fewer Modules were hit particularly hard by this, with a greater burden of subsequent costs to re-gain their Skill statuses.
It was never our intention to devalue the effort and playing time you’ve put toward your ‘Mechs, and while full details will need to wait until we can complete some of the preliminary investigation and work to ensure the system is solid and technically feasible, our continued work on the Skill Tree will be to address all of the above shortcomings and issues. 
Whether you own a hundred Modules or none, there will be no lost progress in the relative Skill statuses of your ‘Mechs. The work you’ve already put in to achieve Mastery, or any other degree of Skill status under the current system, will carry over into an equal capacity for acquiring any desired Skills under the new Skill Tree.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 14, 2017, 03:05:10 pm »

Also the new tech "news" is out now, as well.

Curiously, they're adding ATMs... which means they've either added ammo switching (which seems unlikely) or they're going to be... creatively implemented.

Four new 'mechs as well -- Uziel, Annihilator, Cougar, and the Not Timber Wolf MkII.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 19, 2017, 10:20:37 am »

The new skill tree is out on the live servers now. The system and the way it converts your old xp is pretty convoluted. At least this time around if you had all the skills on a mech unlocked before the change it won't cost you anything to use acquire the 91 skillpoints you need.

I really don't care for the new system, it is hard to believe they spent all that time to come up with something as pointless as this. After looking at the system I'm not sure what value it has added to the game. The skill tree is incredibly uninteresting and it is going to be quite tedious to upgrade your mechs if you have a lot of them.

I was looking forward to coming back to the game when the new tech comes out but I don't know if I will now. I suppose I'll just have to get my giant stompy robot fix from the new battletech game.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:18:39 pm by Wiles »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 26, 2017, 11:55:19 am »

Well, MW:LL got another awesome patch recently

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 08, 2017, 03:08:20 pm »

Hah, got back into this briefly because of the megamek thread... I feel like they've butchered the feel
of BattleTech thoroughly though. Took the trial Dire Wolf for a spin a few times and died like a chump within 20 seconds of being engaged each time. I really don't feel like I'm in the heaviest assault mech available, and didn't even want to try a medium or light mech because they'll just die even faster.

On the upside, I freed up 40GB pretty quickly!
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56