Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Istod be let in? Should I rob all the caravans humies and elves send?

Save Istod
- 3 (20%)
Save her after a week in the ARTICS!!!
- 4 (26.7%)
No.
- 1 (6.7%)
Rob Humies
- 0 (0%)
Rob Elves
- 0 (0%)
Rob EVERYONE
- 3 (20%)
Just trade with 'em
- 4 (26.7%)
Leave them alone -_-
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 17, 2011, 07:23:56 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Eugenics Fortress (abandoned)  (Read 8132 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Eugenics Fortress (abandoned)
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:35:07 pm »

The thread that started this madness.

Burned Bells the Blighted Oblivion
~Welcome to Guantanamo Bay12
~

Spoiler: My Fortress. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Story so far (click to show/hide)

31 dwarves (give or take a few casualties) up for dorfing!

The starting map is located dead centre in a haunted glacier biome, with a portion of it containing an aquifer (I shall attempt to make it my water source), and all civs have access to mah location, which is kinda hilarious, I'm going to have elves marching across several continents just to waltz into my frozen corner of the world  :o.
The initial plan is to create a dead lock ice room above ground, where migrants will have to de-construct walls to get in:
1. So I can examine my new stock;
2. So I am uninterrupted by uninvited guests D:<
And once I've gotten a sizeable population, going to build an entire ice fortress :P.

[Made plans simple, because everyone knows no plan goes to plan in DF]

If you haven't read on from the thread comments, I am going to attempt to create an entire fortress run on Eugenics. I will attempt to breed all weaknesses out of the dwarves... And create the most perverse and physically strong race of SUPAH DWARVES evar.

Current census of dwarves

My end goal is to have dwarves with no weaknesses, susceptibility to illnesses, mental limitations, ALL OF IT GONE - Or better, ALL WITH MIGHTY STRENGTHS IN EVERYTHING!

MUAH HA HA HA HA HA.
I will keep everyone updated.

Also, any ideas to what I should do? My plan was to throw weak babies off cliffs, leave them in the scorching desert, into a volcano and into a river, but then I found this glacier and decided this would be the most !FUN! place to be - after all, what use would Uber dorfs be without something to "Test" on >:D

Oh and early weak migrants will be used as farmers, a true Dorf Sparta. Problem is, I don't want my Strong Dwarves to breed with the weak, anyone know how I could solve this problem (without destroying my farmer populace, at least until strong dwarves can replace them)?

Spoiler: 15th Of Haematite 23 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 7th Of Malachite 23 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 28th Of malachite 23 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 19th Of slate 23 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 17th Of Felsite, 24 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 24th Of haematite, 24 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 18th Of Malachite, 24 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 26th of Malachite, 24 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:11:22 pm by Loud Whispers »

Defeatist Elitist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Non, je ne regrette rien.
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenics Fortress (Warning, may be controversial, lol)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:03:22 pm »

As far as seperating your weak farming dwarves and Master Race dwarves, have you considered digging a hole from the farm area to the underground, then completely walling off your farming area and having the farmers throw the majority of the food through the whole (using garbage dumps)?  All you would really need in the farming complex would be the farms themselves and maybe a brewers (or not if you feel especially cruel).

I suppose burrows might work too, but I've heard people have had a lot of trouble with them.
We exist to cease.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:09:23 pm »

As far as seperating your weak farming dwarves and Master Race dwarves, have you considered digging a hole from the farm area to the underground, then completely walling off your farming area and having the farmers throw the majority of the food through the whole (using garbage dumps)?  All you would really need in the farming complex would be the farms themselves and maybe a brewers (or not if you feel especially cruel).

I suppose burrows might work too, but I've heard people have had a lot of trouble with them.

You, you evil minded forumite, honestly need a cookie.

Also, update on the fortress, might have to reclaim, first death of a dwarf by the ice wolves, vicious things numbering in the seemingly hundreds D:<

And one dwarf tantrum'd, killing two of the 7 dwarves in their sleep, giving me a total of 4 very miserable dwarves. I'm hanging on to it with all I can, but it is looking more and more grim as the frozen corpses stack.
[I'm not kidding, it's kinda cool there's even frozen blood everywhere]
At least I'm having a !!FUN!! start :D

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:44:50 pm »

You're going to need much more intricate uses of burrows to really pull off what you want.
It's a sort of selective breeding right?  Get the best dwarves to breed with the best dwarves.
Therefore you'll need at least three different warrens:
The first one will have the dwarven equivalent of the helots, your filthy farmers.  Just throw them somewhere that they can't leave from and that they can drop the food they harvest down to the superior dwarves levels.  On a side note when they came of age spartans supposedly proved their manliness by sneaking around on the night of their adulthood and killing as many Helots as they could without getting caught, just sayin' , in case you get bored. 
One burrow will contain lots of food and nothing to work on, this is where you'll put the dwarves you want to try and breed together.  Get them to spend enough time together and you'll know whether or not they'll get married.  You could even create multiple matchmaker burrows so as to maximize your shipping potential.  If anyone hasn't done any !PSYCHOLOGY! in regards to marriage this will be a great time to add that to your experiments, how to force dwarves to get married to the ones you want them to and how long it takes.
The final burrow will contain your breeding stock, these will be the dwarves that are already married and just have to focus on popping out kids for future generations.  If the child is unsatisfactory you could remove him from the breeding stock burrow and set up a job for him to do on the surface, maybe have a single stone wall that he'll have to deconstruct.  Cancel the job when he reaches the surface and lock the door or pull up the gate or whatever and have the parents watch as their child gets torn apart by ice wolves.  This is what you get for creating sub-par children, now go make another one.
Actually you might need a fourth burrow for your perfect dwarves.  Can't let them mingle with lesser creatures right?
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »

You're going to need much more intricate uses of burrows to really pull off what you want.
It's a sort of selective breeding right?  Get the best dwarves to breed with the best dwarves.
Therefore you'll need at least three different warrens:
The first one will have the dwarven equivalent of the helots, your filthy farmers.  Just throw them somewhere that they can't leave from and that they can drop the food they harvest down to the superior dwarves levels.  On a side note when they came of age spartans supposedly proved their manliness by sneaking around on the night of their adulthood and killing as many Helots as they could without getting caught, just sayin' , in case you get bored. 
One burrow will contain lots of food and nothing to work on, this is where you'll put the dwarves you want to try and breed together.  Get them to spend enough time together and you'll know whether or not they'll get married.  You could even create multiple matchmaker burrows so as to maximize your shipping potential.  If anyone hasn't done any !PSYCHOLOGY! in regards to marriage this will be a great time to add that to your experiments, how to force dwarves to get married to the ones you want them to and how long it takes.
The final burrow will contain your breeding stock, these will be the dwarves that are already married and just have to focus on popping out kids for future generations.  If the child is unsatisfactory you could remove him from the breeding stock burrow and set up a job for him to do on the surface, maybe have a single stone wall that he'll have to deconstruct.  Cancel the job when he reaches the surface and lock the door or pull up the gate or whatever and have the parents watch as their child gets torn apart by ice wolves.  This is what you get for creating sub-par children, now go make another one.
Actually you might need a fourth burrow for your perfect dwarves.  Can't let them mingle with lesser creatures right?

Ha ha, I don't think I'll be able to get Dorf Crypteia without modding anything... Also not all of the spartans, just the good graduates xP
Plus, I don't think I'll be able to do a PROPER spartan caste system with the way Dorfs are, in my previous one, the Military dwarves were unhappy from long drafts and little work, and proceeded to slaughter the whole fortress >_>

I think keeping every dwarf separate, and only calling them to do certain jobs when required should keep them all separate, then I could force a good pair to get acquainted, and hopefully move in together xP

Quote from: Terminator
I was not programmed to understand Dwarven peer bonding

I really like the idea of sending unsatisfactory children above ground where the ice wolves are... Prove their worthiness in the wilderness! MUAH HA HA HA HA

>Toughest survive? I'd assume having to throttle many Ice wolves a day would make dwarf children strong. It's going to be interesting to see how the genetic system works, I wonder if there are priorities to weaknesses and strengths carried on, or if they are nullified after a while.

ztyler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »

Yup, this already sounds like a boatload of !!FUN!!
He's going the distance.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:51 pm »

I have dreamed of someone doing something like this for a VERY long time. 

Get yourself an avatar dorf, name him after yourself, have him become the head scientist or whatever.  If you need to do a reclaim, that's fine.  In fact, it would allow you to specialize your dwarves more. 

Anyway, if you reclaim, match up the dwarves with the best stats, and personalities, and kill the rest.  This really relies on reclaim, I guess, so if you want to continue this fort, just try to survive and keep us posted.  The experiments will have to wait. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:35:11 am »

Why do I get the feeling this discussion is going to go mermaid-shaped very quickly in it's despicable acts in the name of a master dwarf race? 

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:03:07 am »

Why do I get the feeling this discussion is going to go mermaid-shaped very quickly in it's despicable acts in the name of a master dwarf race?
As a bay12 discussion grows longer, the probability of horrible mental scarring approaches one.
     -Urist McGodwin
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 05:07:34 am »

Aww, you stole my idea. Anyway, you should have a room for every dwarf, designate it with burrows and keep them locked separately until you find a suitable pair. Move those to larger rooms with beds, chairs, tables and supply of booze/food. Lock the door and forget about them for a while.

You might not find the perfect stock immediately, so try to weed out only a part of the deficiencies, then try to crossbreed the next generation to dilute the remaining deficiencies.

Send the weakest ones near the surface to farm or wrestle ice wolves or something. Farming / cooking / hunting might be their best career choice since then they might at least live a life as opposed to being purged from the gene pool. Keeping them separate from your breeding stock will also prevent tantrum spirals occuring to important dwarves. although, make sure they still have things to keep them happy once the elders start dying off. Else, you might lose your test subjects.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:24:22 am »

Hell, I'm in!
First of all, who we count to be a proper specie? There's set of personality traits and attributes, which ones are guided by genetics?

Whatever, we need to describe our UberDwarf in terms of these values.

EDIT: As for attributes, I suggest to aim for maxing all of them.
As for personal traits, I think we should discuss... Or make several experiments at once - super-reliable calm generous friendly dwarf, or nervous raging paranoid sociopath.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:35:08 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 08:19:05 am »

An excellent idea, sir. We shall create our race of Überdwarves for the morrow!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 01:37:25 pm »

Hell, I'm in!
First of all, who we count to be a proper specie? There's set of personality traits and attributes, which ones are guided by genetics?

Whatever, we need to describe our UberDwarf in terms of these values.

EDIT: As for attributes, I suggest to aim for maxing all of them.
As for personal traits, I think we should discuss... Or make several experiments at once - super-reliable calm generous friendly dwarf, or nervous raging paranoid sociopath.

Uberdwarf? Step 1: Find dwarf pair with no flaws, that way, I can find out if their child will gain attributes, lose them, or even learn them.
Step 2: Start breeding strengths in. Also, I wonder if strengths cancel flaws in children?
Step 3: Start combining the super dwarves, until I have the most mentally and physically superior dwarf race EVAR.

By this point, the dwarves will arm themselves, kill the insane dwarves which will undoubtedly gather above ground, then it will get dorfy

I think having the children in a nursery area would be nice, and sending weak children to the wolves would be !!FUN!!, but I think having individual housing units where a breeding pair can be acquainted from childhood would be just splendid, and I'm wondering if I could find a way to make the weak children insane and fight the physically superior ones. Any ideas? Plus, if I waited for the weak children to grow up, I could send them into the Arctic, where they would be able to turn the ice wolves into edible meat.
Oh, and this will all be done in the vanilla, no exploits or mods ^_^

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 02:05:58 pm »

Corral the genetically impure children in a different room with beds food and stuff. Let them grow into adulthood then send them to prove themselves against the Ice wolves to prove their worth.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4