Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1797825 times)

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7095 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »

Yes, this is cheating. But it may be better than losing your injured dwarfs/your whole fort in a dull cavern-related accident.
It's tweaking the game to get around a game bug (dwarfs wont take water out of the buckets) if he lets that dwarf die then the game is cheating. :)

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: October 01, 2012, 08:42:00 pm »

Update on my poor injured dwarf:

I managed to dig down to the caverns without incident and located a river near the point where I breached the caverns.  The medic successfully made three trips down to the cavern river - One to bring water to the patient, one to get water for cleaning the patient, and one to get water to apply a cast to the patient.  The swordsdwarf is now back on his own two feet and out of the hospital.

Immediately after the patient recovered, I ordered the breach to the cavern to be walled off.  Shortly after that, I received an announcement of a forgotten beast in the cavern.  That was a very close shave indeed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:24:08 pm by JosephWongKS »

Labraid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: October 01, 2012, 11:31:47 pm »

Update on my poor injured dwarf:

I managed to dig down to the caverns without incident and located a river near the point where I breached the caverns.  The medic successfully made three trips down to the cavern river - One to bring water to the patient, one to get water for cleaning the patient, and one to get water to apply a cast to the patient.  The swordsdwarf is now back on his own two feet and out of the hospital.

Immediately after the patient recovered, I ordered the breach to the cavern to be walled off.  Shortly after that, I received an announcement of a forgotten beast in the cavern.  That was a very close shave indeed.

awww.... you just missed hell lot of !FUN. What can be more motivating for your dwarves to work harder then poison-breathing  big blob of vomit strolling around your fortress?

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: October 01, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »

My current fortress is in a temperate climate, so the surface water freezes over in winter.  I haven't breached the caverns yet.

One of my military dwarfs got injured fighting a snatcher during winter.  I've built a screw pump to squeeze out water for him and unlocked all labours on my medical dwarf except for the medical jobs and the feed patient job.  I've got six buckets of water in the screw pump workshop, but the game keeps saying that "Medical Dwarf cancels Bring water to Patient:  No water source".  Do the buckets have to be brought to a stockpile before the medic will notice the water?  None of my haulers have brought any of the buckets to a stockpile yet, for some reason.

EDIT:  I've forced the buckets of water to be brought out of the workshop by designating them for dumping and then designating a stockpile over the dumping point.  The medic is still ignoring the water.

EDIT2:  Damn it, I'll have to rush for the cavern and the risks it entails.

I know it's not nice to suggest something like this, but...

step 1 - dig a reservoir of your preferred size and shape
step 2 - press k, select the first tile
step 3 - in dfhack, type liquids, you get some text, read it if you like
step 4 - press enter, sending an empty line
step 5 - now you have 7 deep water on the selected tile. move the cursor to the next tile
step 6 - go back to step 2, repeat until finished
step 7 - profit

Yes, this is cheating. But it may be better than losing your injured dwarfs/your whole fort in a dull cavern-related accident.

Actually that will give you magma, you need to change some of the settings to have it paint water or a water source.  Type ? to get the details.

On an different topic; does Masterwork change anything with vampires?  I just got a vampire, DFHack lists her as a minor vampire, locked her up only to have her become hungry and sleep.  Double checked to make sure I hadn't locked up the wrong dwarf but DFHack is adamant she's a vamp, I'm reluctant to let her out (I hate vampires snacking on my dwarves)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:52:18 pm by ElenaRoan »
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: October 02, 2012, 06:53:37 am »

What labours do you need to enable on your dwarf to get him to pen an essay in the scriptorium?  I already have the necessary ink and vellum.

EDIT:  My armor savant dwarf just got a fey mood and took over a metalsmith's forge.  He duly collected a patternwelded mithril bar, a log, a magnetite rock, two rough gems and a cut gem.  He then stopped collecting items but didn't begin construction of the artifact. 

I checked his requests and it says he also wants "yarn cloth". 

I have plenty of both wool thread and wool cloth, none of which are forbidden, and the dwarf is not subject to any burrow restrictions.  What the hell does this moody idiot want from me?

EDIT2:  I tried weaving fresh wool cloth to see if that would satisfy the selfish jerk, and lo and behold my weaver tells me that he cancelled the job because he needs 1 "unused collected yarn thread", even though I have more of 10 wool threads lying around the place.  Or are "yarn threads" and "yarn cloth" different from "wool threads" and "wool cloth" in this mod?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:35:31 am by JosephWongKS »

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: October 02, 2012, 09:11:46 am »

Yarn is the hair, wool the cloth that grows on sheep. You can butcher horses or other furred animals to obtain it, then use the "Spin" order in the farmers workshop to get it.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:44 am »

You can butcher horses or other furred animals to obtain it, then use the "Spin" order in the farmers workshop to get it.

I tried this, but it just gets me "horse hair" and then "hair thread", which doesn't seem to meet the dwarf's requirements.

EDIT:  Double-checked the DF Wiki, and it says I need to shear a sheep to get "wool", which can then be spun into "yarn" at a farmer's workshop.  This suggests that the wool thread and wool cloth I've been buying are not "yarn".  I have one remaining lamb in my pasture (having already butchered its parents in a mass slaughtering campaign to increase FPS), and I'm in late spring which means the elf merchant will be coming by soon.  Fingers crossed, either the lamb will grow to maturity before the dwarf hits the time limit for his mood, or the elves will bring along some adult sheep for shearing.

EDIT2:  YES the lamb just became an ewe!  Now I can get the lamb sheared for its wool and spin the wool into yarn to give to the dwarf so he can make his artifact armor and avoid dying on me.  This game truly is the most amazing thing.

EDIT3:  Shearing the ewe gave me "ewe hair", not wool.  Hmm.

EDIT4:  Aaaand spinning the ewe hair produced more hair thread, not yarn.  Is there any way, any way at all, to produce "yarn" in this game?  I don't want my dwarf to die right when he is about to produce an artifact armor.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:51:20 pm by JosephWongKS »

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: October 02, 2012, 11:12:51 am »

Looking through the raws of the dwarves and noticed a very slight typo. Thought I may as well point it out. It says "sciendwarves" instead of "sciencedwarves" ;)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:24 pm »

There was a problem with Yarn a long time ago, but I thought it was fixed.  Maybe you have rediscovered a similar bug, although hopefully someone else can run a quick test to confirm or deny.  In the mean time I can explain what my hack work around was back then.

edit.  I'm going to spoiler all this because, looking back, it was supposed to be fixed back in patch 1.4.1, so I'm probably just confusing the issue by reposting old business.  Anyway, next time I have a game open with some sheep I'll try to see if I can reproduce your problem.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:23:04 pm by smakemupagus »

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: October 02, 2012, 06:18:23 pm »

There was a problem with Yarn a long time ago, but I thought it was fixed.  Maybe you have rediscovered a similar bug, although hopefully someone else can run a quick test to confirm or deny.  In the mean time I can explain what my hack work around was back then.

edit.  I'm going to spoiler all this because, looking back, it was supposed to be fixed back in patch 1.4.1, so I'm probably just confusing the issue by reposting old business.  Anyway, next time I have a game open with some sheep I'll try to see if I can reproduce your problem.

I checked the material_template_default.txt files for both MDF 1.9.5 and MDF2.

The MDF 1.9.5 file has these appearing after [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR_TEMPLATE]:

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:THREAD_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:THREAD]
[YARN]
   [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL]
   [ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_SOFT]
   [REACTION_CLASS:CREMATION]
   [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CREMATION_MAT:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:FAT]

The MDF 2 file does not.  Would this make a difference?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:25:36 pm by JosephWongKS »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: October 02, 2012, 07:27:57 pm »

Getting a little out of my depth, I'll let Meph analyze it when he's back, but yeah that looks like it might matter.  Which version did you have the problem?

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: October 02, 2012, 07:32:32 pm »

Getting a little out of my depth, I'll let Meph analyze it when he's back, but yeah that looks like it might matter.  Which version did you have the problem?

MDF 2.  To clarify, I'm not complaining about the bug, I'm just asking for help to resolve the situation.  The vanilla game itself is in an alpha state (and is likely to remain there for years to come), so it's no wonder that an alpha mod of an alpha game would have bugs aplenty.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: October 02, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »

I have been having problems with automations surviving the world gen for a long time. (Always getting wiped out by the warlocks/drow/etc during the first 50 years. They are almost as bad as kobolds.)
Any way to help them survive longer? (I am not very experienced with how entity tokens affect the results of world gen wars.)

Btw, I am amused by the frost giant's use of finnish. (Even though most of their dark fortress names seem to be "rather" rude) :)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

uberlalzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: October 02, 2012, 08:55:15 pm »

My current fortress is in a temperate climate, so the surface water freezes over in winter.  I haven't breached the caverns yet.

One of my military dwarfs got injured fighting a snatcher during winter.  I've built a screw pump to squeeze out water for him and unlocked all labours on my medical dwarf except for the medical jobs and the feed patient job.  I've got six buckets of water in the screw pump workshop, but the game keeps saying that "Medical Dwarf cancels Bring water to Patient:  No water source".  Do the buckets have to be brought to a stockpile before the medic will notice the water?  None of my haulers have brought any of the buckets to a stockpile yet, for some reason.

EDIT:  I've forced the buckets of water to be brought out of the workshop by designating them for dumping and then designating a stockpile over the dumping point.  The medic is still ignoring the water.

EDIT2:  Damn it, I'll have to rush for the cavern and the risks it entails.

I know it's not nice to suggest something like this, but...

step 1 - dig a reservoir of your preferred size and shape
step 2 - press k, select the first tile
step 3 - in dfhack, type liquids, you get some text, read it if you like
step 4 - press enter, sending an empty line
step 5 - now you have 7 deep water on the selected tile. move the cursor to the next tile
step 6 - go back to step 2, repeat until finished
step 7 - profit

Well i'd just use Tears of Armok as a water source but whatever...

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: October 02, 2012, 11:43:41 pm »

@Melzer

That's not normal, possible you're in a freezing biome?
OH MAY GAD, yes. But I REALLY want those trees, for charcoal, you understand. Can I change it in the raws? (I've got quite a bit of fungi, but i like to make crafts out of them, 'cause there pricier).
BTW Is there a way to download a version for Mstrwrk for 31.25? I miss Runesmith :( ?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:23:12 am by Melzer »
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 749