Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717465 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2012, 03:55:40 pm »

I'd prefer if all states functioned like Nebraska when it comes to EC votes. I don't recall if there's any tangible downside to proportionality, except for the smallest states. But even then it's the difference of getting three votes for one candidate or two for one and a single vote for their opponent. The "winner takes all" attitude of most state delegations is part of the reason people feel like their vote doesn't mean squat at the end of the day. At least in a proportional state the record accurately reflects how the state's population voted, instead of lumping states into one of the two parties.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2012, 04:05:07 pm »

I think the states themselves should be brave enough to make the electoral college work for them. Unlike others here, I don't hate it or think it should be abolished, I think it holds a lot of potential if only the states would use it.

But then, I'm not really a fan of how countries practice democracy in general, and my views are... fairly unique, so a direct vote or proportional split is probably a lot better than the likely alternatives.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 01, 2012, 10:04:19 pm »

This really puts into perspective the whole idea that Liberals are the ones who spend  too much.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #198 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:05 pm »

The oft repeated comparison is tax and spend liberals versus don't tax and spend anyways.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 01, 2012, 11:49:30 pm »

The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. -Ron Paul

Fuck. And here I thought it was hyperbole. Okay, off the RP train, who was that Libertarian nominee?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2012, 12:01:52 am »

(trolling removed)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:25:16 pm by Toady One »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2012, 12:09:15 am »

I agree with some of Ron Paul's positions, but I disagree with his views on foreign policy and taxes. Rick Perry has Joe Arpaio's support, so he's definitely the best candidate.
Having never heard of this Joe fellow, why's his approval what you're looking at?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:15 am »

@Zrk2 - The best part is when he said the founding fathers were all devout Christians. Just like Thomas Jefferson, the guy who wrote this.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:20 am »

I agree with some of Ron Paul's positions, but I disagree with his views on foreign policy and taxes. Rick Perry has Joe Arpaio's support, so he's definitely the best candidate.
Having never heard of this Joe fellow, why's his approval what you're looking at?

Joe Arpaio is the Sheriff of a county in Arizona, famous for rigorously enforcing the new law allowing police to arrest people on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant, even in violation of a court injunction against it.  And things like training his own band of vigilante border-watchers and advocating military-scale border security.

Yeah, he's a fan of Perry and Perry's a fan of him.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26:11 am »

Just like Thomas Jefferson, the guy who wrote this.
Hey, neat. I've been wondering for a while what something like that would look like. Thanks for the link. Knew someone would have had to have done it (strip out the dross) at some point, but I don't think I was expecting Jefferson. Though I'm not exactly surprised. Sharp fellow, he was.

Joe Arpaio is the Sheriff of a county in Arizona, famous for rigorously enforcing the new law allowing police to arrest people on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant, even in violation of a court injunction against it.  And things like training his own band of vigilante border-watchers and advocating military-scale border security.

Yeah, he's a fan of Perry and Perry's a fan of him.
... ah. Someone I would have rather not (known) existed, then. Still kinda' curious why one would base one's preference for presidential candidate on the opinion of someone like that, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #205 on: January 02, 2012, 12:34:48 am »

Joe Arpaio is the guy running concentration camps in Arizona.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 02, 2012, 12:46:44 am »

I can only hope Dr.Feelgood was being sarcastic, with this new information on the identity of this man.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2012, 01:12:47 am »

Yeah, siding with Arpaio even jokingly is in extremely poor taste, since the man is actually evil.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 02, 2012, 01:16:42 am »

Yeah, siding with Arpaio even jokingly is in extremely poor taste, since the man is actually evil.

The fact that this is being said on a forum where we regularly find new ways to weaponize babies makes it even more serious.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2012, 01:18:23 am »

No.

No it does not.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 714