Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721013 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #300 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:02 pm »

How many votes have been cast for Lizard People?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »

Also...Herman Cain has 26 votes (I guess there are some people in Iowa who really do live under rocks), and Buddy Roemer has 21. Who the hell is Buddy Roemer?

Per Google, he was Governor of Louisiana (and his campaign site still refers to him as Gov. Roemer) TWENTY years ago. At least his tweets are amusing:

BuddyRoemer: I almost have enough votes in Iowa to start a bowling league. #Roementum
BuddyRoemer: BREAKING: Somebody who died in 1987 is beating me in Iowa. #invisibleman #LetBuddyDebate
I gotta appreciate someone who can make fun of themselves like that :D

Iknorite? Here's some more:
Have to be careful with these iPhone when signing my name. The "N" is dangerously close to the "B" #nuddy
Much to the chagrin of my Twitter volunteer, I will never be the guy that says "true dat" or "buh-bye" #oldmanproblems
My staff has a unique sense of humor today. #kittens pic.twitter.com/w78byASq

Plus, he's refusing any contributions over $100 (which is why his fundraising is laughably low) and he supports the Occupy movement. And he's been on the Daily Show and been plugged by Colbert. Hell, I'll vote for him in the NC primaries.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 03, 2012, 10:46:46 pm »

He has a good sense of humor, likes the Occupy Movement, and has a kitten picture? Damn, probably the only presidential candidate I'd support.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 03, 2012, 10:53:37 pm »

Alright, so with about 90% of the vote in (and Bay12's server trying to stymie me), Santorum and Romney are within 1% of each other, tied at 25% each.  Ron Paul has sunk back to third with 21%, and is probably numerically stuck there with so few votes left to count.  Gingrich still at 14%, Perry 10%, Bachmann 5%, Huntsman nowhere.

And I have to go to work in twenty minutes, so they better hurry up and finish counting.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:42 pm »

As the results fill in, it's looking less optimistic for Ron Paul. Seems assured of a 3rd place finish at this point. Won several counties, but didn't take the college counties, splitting the vote instead and placing behind Romney. Romney did best in the eastern part of the state and the urban centers (although Santorum is at this time winning Woodbury, where Sioux City is). Santorum winning the rural cornfields and western half of the state. Absolutely crushed the vote in the northwest corner of the state, taking anywhere from 45-61% in those counties. Gingrich didn't win any counties, but came in 2nd in a handful. Looks placed to take 4th. Perry actually won a couple of counties in the southwest, took 2nd in several counties in the south, and paced 3rd in a wide number of counties. Should place a close 5th behind Newt. Bachmann came in 2nd in two counties, 3rd in two counties, and....yeah, she's toast. Huntsman placed approximately 117th, just behind "Jed, the Hobo King of Decatur". Seriously, he didn't even crack the top 4 in *any* county.

EDIT: Just looked at another map, and geographically...Iowa is a frothy sea of Santorum. Man, I am *not* going back to visit anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:01:01 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 03, 2012, 11:00:28 pm »

... was there actually someone running on the ballot as Jed, Hobo King of Decatur?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 03, 2012, 11:01:31 pm »

... was there actually someone running on the ballot as Jed, Hobo King of Decatur?
I have no idea. But if they did, they placed higher than Jon Huntsman.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 03, 2012, 11:03:32 pm »

I have no idea. But if they did, they placed higher than Jon Huntsman.

Yeah, he and Buddy Roemer should start a traveling roadshow.  And I should add Roemer to the OP list, how thoughtless of me, he has an interesting campaign.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 03, 2012, 11:09:27 pm »

Looks like Bachmann still has a little more crazy in the tank. Word is she's hanging on till at least South Carolina. Admittedly, the fact that South Carolina has a female Republican (and Tea Partier) governor (the first in state history) who even looks a little like Bachmann....who knows? Personally though, from what I know of South Cackalacky....it ain't happening.

Interesting statistic (haven't fact-checked for accuracy):

Money spent per vote received in Iowa:

Santorum: $1.65
Bachmann: $8
Romney: $113.07
Gingrich: $139
Paul: $227
Perry: $817

Looks like Santorum's decision to basically live in Iowa the last few months paid off. Now...can that momentum carry over to South Carolina? Didn't realize Bachmann had spent so little in Iowa, but then she's only raised about $4 mil compared to the $10-15 mil the top-tier guys have.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:33:36 pm by RedKing »

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 03, 2012, 11:39:43 pm »

I found this whole thing very interesting. Sucks that Ron Paul didn't shake up the Iowa and make it irrelevant for all future generations
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »

Ahaha, there's days I hate the way I look at things. I see that list, and go... okay. Romney and Gingrich could have fed a person for a month, per vote. Paul, two people. Perry, eight.

... how many hungry people are in Iowa? *grumblemutter*

Now I kinda' want go convert campaign expenditures into a "Could have fed this many people instead" list, just to see how it goes.

There a list of total campaign money spent in Iowa, broken down by candidate? I'm guessing yes, but if someone's got it on hand...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #311 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:33 pm »

To be fair, money spent in campaigns does enter back into the economy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:43 pm »

Well, think of it this way...it did go to feed people: signmakers, printing shops, campaign staffers, coffee shops to feed and fuel those staffers, etc.

It's not like campaign expenditures vanish into some abstract void. If nothing else, the Iowa campaigns have meant a net inflow on funds from out-of-state into their economy. It's like a weird sort of tourism.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:05 pm »

Technically, that money didn't just disappear as it was spent.  It went to someone.  Probably not people who desperately needed it, but still... it's people/entities who have tons and tons of money and just hoard it that are the biggest problem.  Yeah, it's money being spent on frivolous bullshit, but at least it's passing from the hands of the rich asshat candidate to people who are getting an opportunity to make some sort of living off from it.

Ninja'd!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 03, 2012, 11:51:10 pm »

Of course, most of those people strongly support Rick Santorum, Mitt Romney, etc. Which leaves me ambivalent about the whole "trickle-down benefit" part.

It's like saying "Oh, well the Dark Lord isn't THAT bad...I mean, he pays his henchmen well..."

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 714