Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720594 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #780 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:16 am »

Georgia also liked Georges Bush quite a lot (The main highway from the airport to Tbilisi is Georges Bush Boulevard or something). I don't know if this is still true after he didn't do a thing during the 2008 war (not like he could nuke Russia anyway).

They also love McCain because he went to Tbilisi and did a "We're all Georgian" speech.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 11, 2012, 11:04:12 am »

Posting to follow.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »

"The greatest and most powerful country in the history of the human race (that's America btw) is kicking into its regular cycle to see who will be the next Leader of the Free World."

Seems very arrogant and ignorant from my point of view. Also, mentioning USA and freedom in a same sentence disgusts me (Iraq, Guantanamo, Indians etc.)

What kind of democracy is it that candidate that got most votes won't be elected?

Also, why doesn't USA have left wing parties?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:34:17 pm by dwarfhoplite »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 11, 2012, 12:20:54 pm »

"The greatest and most powerful country in the history of the human race (that's America btw) is kicking into its regular cycle to see who will be the next Leader of the Free World."

Seems very arrogant from my point of view. Also, mentioning USA and freedom in a same sentence disgusts me (Iraq, Guantanamo etc.)

What kind of democracy is it that candidate that got most votes won't be elected?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:06 pm »

Seems very arrogant and ignorant from my point of view. Also, mentioning USA and freedom in a same sentence disgusts me (Iraq, Guantanamo, Indians etc.)

Somebody needs to tune up their sarcasm detector.  Or get a helping of this site's other fine attractions.

Quote from: Toady's Devblog
It's sort of a half day, because as you might have guessed from Liberal Crime Squad, we feel compelled to witness certain political events in full.

I often wonder why those guys put up with so much crap on their forum, and I never remember obvious stuff like this.

Anyway, updating the OP.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 11, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »

Yeah, Ron Paul always confused me with his stance on abortion and whatnot, since it doesn't really mesh with libertarian ideology. Then I found out he used to be an obstetrician and personally delivered an absurd number of babies in his career, so I figure he is really just personally biased.

I used to like him more then I do now, libertarianism is a nice ideal, but such a system of governance would be disasterous. People would struggle, wealth would concentrate in an elite minority, and without compulsory education and a basic safety net, you'd literally have a new underclass of illiterate peasants and fuckin' brigands or whatever roaming the countryside. I think George Carlin sums up the reality, think of how stupid the average person person, and 50% of people are stupider then that. A free society would be a cut-throat society, a libertarian government would have a disasterous impact in this modern age and we have to have a system that works for everyone, or you'll have a society you won't actually want to live in.

I think the best compromise would be to lessen the power of the federal government, keep it's focus on courts and national defense and generally let the states be responsible for everything else. That way people have a greater choice in what policies they want to live under. If they don't like paying taxes to provide food stamps they can go move to Alabama or whatever. If you want to smoke pot legally, move to California. It's basically what we already have, but the trends of late have been increased federal authority stepping on state's rights. I think the federal government should lean toward a hands-off libertarian policy while the individual states should lean more progressive, or theocratic policies, whatever floats your boat, that'd be the state you move to.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:55 pm »

Quote from: Toady's Devblog
It's sort of a half day, because as you might have guessed from Liberal Crime Squad, we feel compelled to witness certain political events in full.

I often wonder why those guys put up with so much crap on their forum, and I never remember obvious stuff like this.

I'm confused.

The answer is because they do, of course.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 11, 2012, 01:42:00 pm »

I think the best compromise would be to lessen the power of the federal government, keep it's focus on courts and national defense and generally let the states be responsible for everything else.

There are two way this could take place, both of them bad:
1) Fiscal guarantee at a Federal level.  This is basically what we have now.  The states run a lot but the federal government covers a large part of their essential functions.  This means that no state can screw things up too badly because there will always be the federal government to keep people from dying in the streets in large numbers and keep the biker gangs from taking over major cities.  But if you give the badly performing states more leway to screw things up, you just make them a bigger strain on the system.  Right now backwater places like Alabama get by on federal handouts which protects them from the harsh realities of how fucked up they are.  If you give them more leway to screw things up, they will do so and drag places like California and New England down even more.
2) No Fiscal guarantee at the Federal level.  This is what Europe is currently going through.  The problem with this system is that all the states have the same currency but don't share a budget.  This means that there can't be a currency exchange rate correction for economic balances between the states.  So just like we are seeing governments like Spain and Ireland in real trouble in Europe despite them having behaved very responsibly, we would have states get into serious debt crises in the US.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 11, 2012, 02:19:43 pm »

Yeah, Ron Paul always confused me with his stance on abortion and whatnot, since it doesn't really mesh with libertarian ideology. Then I found out he used to be an obstetrician and personally delivered an absurd number of babies in his career, so I figure he is really just personally biased.

I used to like him more then I do now, libertarianism is a nice ideal, but such a system of governance would be disasterous. People would struggle, wealth would concentrate in an elite minority, and without compulsory education and a basic safety net, you'd literally have a new underclass of illiterate peasants and fuckin' brigands or whatever roaming the countryside. I think George Carlin sums up the reality, think of how stupid the average person person, and 50% of people are stupider then that. A free society would be a cut-throat society, a libertarian government would have a disasterous impact in this modern age and we have to have a system that works for everyone, or you'll have a society you won't actually want to live in.

I think the best compromise would be to lessen the power of the federal government, keep it's focus on courts and national defense and generally let the states be responsible for everything else. That way people have a greater choice in what policies they want to live under. If they don't like paying taxes to provide food stamps they can go move to Alabama or whatever. If you want to smoke pot legally, move to California. It's basically what we already have, but the trends of late have been increased federal authority stepping on state's rights. I think the federal government should lean toward a hands-off libertarian policy while the individual states should lean more progressive, or theocratic policies, whatever floats your boat, that'd be the state you move to.

The thing is (and this really holds true for almost any "If you don't like X, then move" arguments)...it's just not that simple to pick up and move. Even if you're a single twenty-something in an apartment, it's not that easy. You need a cushion of money to make the transition possible. You need a job (or certainly the prospects of a job) in the new location. You need a place to live.

If you have a family and a house, it's a freakin' nightmare. You have to sell your existing house (meaning you have to find somebody who wants whatever it is you're trying to get away from) you have to find and purchase a new house (or at least a new apartment) which means either buying sight unseen or shuttling back and forth several times before actually moving. If you have a family, it's essential that you have a new job lined up before you move or else you have a nice fat 6-months-of-living-expenses lined up.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 11, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »

And on top of all that, both the place you're leaving has to allow you to leave, and the place you're going to has to let you come in to begin with. There's place in the world getting out of isn't a small thing, even if you have the resources to survive once you get out, and (many more) other places that aren't very happy about letting new folks come in, regardless of what you bring to the table, especially if you're "X" (X being whatever.).

And all that, on top of everything, assumes adulthood of some degree, physical capability, so on, so forth. If you don't like X, you should move, is the way to say it. Should implies can, and the can innit always there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 11, 2012, 03:09:34 pm »

Mind you, the US was originally based on "if you don't like where you are, you should move HERE. Let's make it easy for you!", which was pretty cool and an absolutely huge component of their present day success. That, obviously enough, did not last.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 11, 2012, 03:30:23 pm »

And it was still a nightmare for many to get here and then to survive. My wife and I have seriously looked into the logistics of emigration before, and it's daunting. Even to relatively welcoming places like Finland, Sweden, Denmark...there's a lot of red tape to get in. You're buggered if you want to go to New Zealand (unless you work with horses, if which case the door is wide open for you).

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 11, 2012, 08:26:34 pm »

Maybe the things you are talking about would be true if we did not have a State government as well. We do though, so... yeah.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:52 pm »

From the Romney speech:

"He apologizes for America; I will never apologize for the greatest nation in the history of the Earth."

And then you're wondering why the rest of the world dislikes/hates you? :p That sound like something Bush could have said.

They hate Obama too, so since all other countries think they are awesome then so do we.  You hate us saying it because it's true!  :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »

They hate Obama too, so since all other countries think they are awesome then so do we.  You hate us saying it because it's true!  :P
Err... could you clarify those pronouns? Not sure who is hating who.

From what I've heard from my various international friends, Obama is at least a bit better than Bush. People don't often start conversations with, "Do you hate [President], too?" anymore, at least.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 714