Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717455 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1965 on: February 15, 2012, 06:18:21 pm »

'John McCain doesn't understand torture enhanced interrogation techniques.'

:P Santorum had to be trolling on this one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: February 15, 2012, 06:19:45 pm »

... you seem to not realize that Santorum seems to be dead serious about just about every damn thing he says. Man apparently doesn't troll, though people would feel a lot better about his sanity if he did.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: February 15, 2012, 06:28:29 pm »

... you seem to not realize that Santorum seems to be dead serious about just about every damn thing he says. Man apparently doesn't troll, though people would feel a lot better about his sanity if he did.

To be honest, I like politicians like this. We have a politician here Ken Livingston, he says what he thinks and he doesn't sugar coat it. He gets alot of flak about it, but at the end of the day he has integrity. Because you know what he says is what he means, and thats his political currency for the people.

Santorum might be batshit, but I respect a guy who doesn't bullshit. It gives the man a level of credibility no amount of propaganda and charisma will give you. It's just a shame that what he says is almost always total bollocks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:19 pm »

I used to think that about Ron Paul. But he's backpedaling away from all his (non-economic, non-foreign policy) rhetoric as fast as his legs will let him. It wouldn't make him more acceptable to me as a candidate, or his views better in my eyes, but he'd get an iota of more respect out of me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

We have a politician here Ken Livingston, he says what he thinks and he doesn't sugar coat it. He gets alot of flak about it, but at the end of the day he has integrity.
Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on that.

The guy worked for Press TV, the British media arm of the Iranian government. He only left when they were shut down for ignoring Ofcom regulations, specifically keeping editorial control in Tehran. He also hosted a Muslim cleric who called for the death penalty for homosexuals. Yet he still campaigns hard on gay rights.

I really wanted to see Oona King get the nod over him in this mayoral election, not least because Livingston being nominated pretty much means Boris wins again.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: February 15, 2012, 06:51:40 pm »

I'd probably go in fifty/fifty on it... integrity is one thing, but knowing when to shut the hell up or stay quiet is kind of important when you're dealing with a non-homogeneous ideological base (read: All of them). Santorum in particular is just a really shitty politician -- and I mean this in the higher sense of good social leader, not just someone that wins elections -- and the fact that he's running for what he is, with the positions that he holds, just makes that really bloody obvious.

I can respect ideological integrity, but willful ignorance, stupidity, or insanity -- and it's one or more of the three in Santorum's case -- pretty easily counters what little respect that sort of integrity garners. Sticking to your guns doesn't excuse incompetence or having your head stuck up the ass of a centuries-to-millennium outdated ideological foundation :-\

But it's all rather irrelevant, really. The chances of the man getting elected president this time around is still basically zero.
Ask not!
Ask!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »

I'd probably go in fifty/fifty on it... integrity is one thing, but knowing when to shut the hell up or stay quiet is kind of important when you're dealing with a non-homogeneous ideological base (read: All of them). Santorum in particular is just a really shitty politician -- and I mean this in the higher sense of good social leader, not just someone that wins elections -- and the fact that he's running for what he is, with the positions that he holds, just makes that really bloody obvious.

I can respect ideological integrity, but willful ignorance, stupidity, or insanity -- and it's one or more of the three in Santorum's case -- pretty easily counters what little respect that sort of integrity garners. Sticking to your guns doesn't excuse incompetence or having your head stuck up the ass of a centuries-to-millennium outdated ideological foundation :-\

But it's all rather irrelevant, really. The chances of the man getting elected president this time around is still basically zero.

I also find it hard to think someone has "integrity" while they simultaneously 1) claim to support the US Constitution, and 2) claim to support religiously-oriented policies and legislation within the US government.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: February 15, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »

Ideological integrity, to be more precise. And specifically to his own, which includes that sort of hypocrisy and radical interpretation/fabrication.
Ask not!
Ask!

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 15, 2012, 06:59:24 pm »

We have a politician here Ken Livingston, he says what he thinks and he doesn't sugar coat it. He gets alot of flak about it, but at the end of the day he has integrity.
Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on that.

The guy worked for Press TV, the British media arm of the Iranian government. He only left when they were shut down for ignoring Ofcom regulations, specifically keeping editorial control in Tehran. He also hosted a Muslim cleric who called for the death penalty for homosexuals. Yet he still campaigns hard on gay rights.

I really wanted to see Oona King get the nod over him in this mayoral election, not least because Livingston being nominated pretty much means Boris wins again.

Absolutely true points.
What I meant though was his statements, his arguments, what he says that we can see. It's not distorted, he goes right for the throat and says it. I remember that stuff about Iran, i'm sure there were some mitigating circumstances to some of this, though I don't recall enough of it to comment/defend this though.

You can't deny that he says what he means, he gets beaten down for it all the time, it's probably what brings his popularity down the most. Thats all i'm refering to, and that gives the man credibility in my opinion.

I also find it hard to think someone has "integrity" while they simultaneously 1) claim to support the US Constitution, and 2) claim to support religiously-oriented policies and legislation within the US government.

I would say it is integrity, its just nonsense. He believes what he says, but what he says is absolute tripe.

Ideological integrity, to be more precise. And specifically to his own, which includes that sort of hypocrisy and radical interpretation/fabrication.

I think you're completely right here.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: February 15, 2012, 07:05:01 pm »

Internally speaking, that's not integrity at all though. He's just being a two-faced bullshitter to himself in addition to being one to the electorate.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: February 15, 2012, 07:06:37 pm »

Internally speaking, that's not integrity at all though. He's just being a two-faced bullshitter to himself in addition to being one to the electorate.

Not at all, it means he speaks from the heart, But whats in his heart is a load of crap.
I respect the man, but I wouldn't vote for him.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: February 15, 2012, 07:10:12 pm »

You respect a man for (probably willfully) holding intellectually dishonest and two-faced beliefs? You respect someone who would pretend to love what his country stands for while actively subverting it, and actually believing he's doing the former and not the latter? How is that respectable to you?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: February 15, 2012, 07:14:55 pm »

You respect a man for (probably willfully) holding intellectually dishonest and two-faced beliefs? You respect someone who would pretend to love what his country stands for while actively subverting it, and actually believing he's doing the former and not the latter? How is that respectable to you?

He doesnt know or think they are two faced. It is not beyond the realm of reason for an american candidate to beleive relgion and conservatism arent mutually exclusive.

For the record, I am a rabid athiest with extremely left wing views. I do not support the man or any of his ideas.
I respect any man(or woman) who says what he means and doesn't take the easy road of pandering.
Granted that road is easier for someone who truly believes in the crap he does for a republican, but there it is.

Mit Romney for example, doesn't have this trait. He seems too fake to me and I believe this is one of his highest criticisms? (it would be mine)
*Other than his vast wealth, which I find a strange criticism in a country like the USA where he is supposed to be the architypical capitalist worker, a self made man?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:21:25 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: February 15, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

Mit Romney for example, doesn't have this trait. He seems too fake to me and I believe this is one of his highest criticisms? (it would be mine)
*Other than his vast wealth, which I find a strange criticism in a country like the USA where he is supposed to be the architypical capitalist worker, a self made man?

Well, that's partly thanks to the ad campaign against him, from his history.  His father was the governor of Michigan, and a very wealthy man, who sent his son to the finest colleges (which ironically makes him an elitist in the American rubric) and gave him most of his starting capital for his businesses.  Mitt is now exponentially more wealthy than Romney Sr. ever was, but he's anything but a self-made man.

Which is why it makes a strong criticism, in this particular year, as American political speech has really seized on "the rich get richer and the poor don't" as a foundational element.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: February 15, 2012, 07:32:30 pm »

He made all his wealth in the financial industry, largely doing things that the vast majority of Americans don't understand and don't really bring any benefit to the economy while serving to make those who work in it obscenely wealthy at the expense of others.
It would be different if he made his wealth in anything besides the financial industry, and the complaints about him (from the republican side) would have much less to stand on, and probably wouldn't have been brought up at all.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 714