Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717488 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2670 on: March 09, 2012, 03:36:58 pm »

Although if he only has 45% of the pledged delegates, and it comes down to the unpledged delegates basically "handing" him the nomination...that's going to have about the same amount of blowback within the party as a brokered convention would. Either way, it's going to be seen as the "smoke-filled backroom" and the establishment "stealing" the nomination for Romney.

Which, if Romney loses, means they'll once again deduce the moral of the story to be "We lost because we weren't rabid ENOUGH." 2014 mid-term elections will see the "liberal" Tea Party supplanted by the Fatherland Party and their paramilitary arm.  ::)

So who knows...maybe it's best for all if a wounded and exhausted Romney wins the nomination, only to be deserted by the far-right and steamrolled by the Left.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: March 09, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »

Although if he only has 45% of the pledged delegates, and it comes down to the unpledged delegates basically "handing" him the nomination...that's going to have about the same amount of blowback within the party as a brokered convention would. Either way, it's going to be seen as the "smoke-filled backroom" and the establishment "stealing" the nomination for Romney.

Super-delegates gave Obama the nomination in 2008.  Some people grumbled but it was hardly a repeat of the 1968 democratic convention fiasco.  Super delegates pushing a candidate over the top isn't ideal but it's not an actual brokered convention which makes for truly horrible optics.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:16:59 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: March 09, 2012, 05:03:54 pm »

Super-delegates gave Obama the nomination in 2008.  Some people grumbled but it was hardly a repeat of the 1968 democratic convention fiasco.  Super delegates pushing a candidate over the top isn't ideal but it's not an actual brokered convention which makes for truly horrible optics.
Yeah, but Obama was the "insurgent" candidate. If the superdelegates had given it to Clinton, I think it would have been a whole different story. The "PUMA" crowd was nothing compared to what pissed-off Obama supporters would have been.

Same way that if the superdelegates end up giving it to Santorum or Gingrich, there will be grumbling and rolling of eyes among the GOP establishment but they're not exactly going to be ranting and railing and gnashing teeth (at least in public).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: March 09, 2012, 08:36:36 pm »

For the record, Romney has to obtain something like 47% of all remaining delegates to reach the 1144 needed for an automatic majority nomination, Santorum needs to get about 65% of the remainder.  It sounds impossible for Santorum to make it over the top, but it's hardly inconceivable that Romney could get less than half of all remaining votes, especially if any bit of his money dries up.  When he has to spend six times as much as Santorum to achieve slightly better than parity in places like Ohio, that is a campaign on a rickety platform.

Interesting parsing from the exit polls: in Ohio at least, Romney and Santorum were about equally matched in preference (about 35-40% apiece) for all voters, except those with incomes over $200,000 who Romney ran away with, just enough to push him into victory.  Wealthy people tend to vote in higher percentages than other demographics by average (greater political literacy, personal interest, ability to take off a Tuesday afternoon), and don't vary much between elections.  Pollsters have actually seen a noticeable increase in voter turnout among the highest-polled-for income brackets across almost every race in the Republican primary, virtually all of them saying they're for Romney.  He actually is a "Movement Candidate" - it's a movement of wealthy people.

Also, the Democratic primary in Ohio, a primary with essentially one name on the ballot, had higher voter turnout than any one Republican's total votes.  Yes, Romney got 457k votes, and the Ohio Democratic Party got about 480k people to turn out to cast a purely symbolic vote for Obama in their primary.  Intriguing.  Meanwhile, leprechaun Representative Dennis Kuicinich lost his primary renomination for his redistricted seat.  Yes, he won't be losing his Congressional seat because of redistricting, he'll be departing Congress because a different Democrat foisted him out.

And just because it's my thread, here's a Sarah Palin word salad for you.  Yeah yeah, posted by Think Progress, it's her on Fox and it was on YouTube's frontpage.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: March 10, 2012, 01:49:14 am »

Meanwhile, leprechaun Representative Dennis Kuicinich lost his primary renomination for his redistricted seat.  Yes, he won't be losing his Congressional seat because of redistricting, he'll be departing Congress because a different Democrat foisted him out.

I always thought he was a gnome Representative, myself. Those ears, man.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: March 10, 2012, 02:08:59 am »

Interesting parsing from the exit polls: in Ohio at least, Romney and Santorum were about equally matched in preference (about 35-40% apiece) for all voters, except those with incomes over $200,000 who Romney ran away with, just enough to push him into victory.  Wealthy people tend to vote in higher percentages than other demographics by average (greater political literacy, personal interest, ability to take off a Tuesday afternoon), and don't vary much between elections.  Pollsters have actually seen a noticeable increase in voter turnout among the highest-polled-for income brackets across almost every race in the Republican primary, virtually all of them saying they're for Romney.  He actually is a "Movement Candidate" - it's a movement of wealthy people.

Well, Romney did win Ohio by *puts on sunglasses* one percent.  8)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: March 10, 2012, 02:12:26 am »

And just because it's my thread, here's a Sarah Palin word salad for you.  Yeah yeah, posted by Think Progress, it's her on Fox and it was on YouTube's frontpage.
I didn't make it to the end. What the hell was she babbling about?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: March 10, 2012, 02:23:31 am »

I didn't make it to the end. What the hell was she babbling about?

Apparently it isn't the social conservatives that want to roll the clock back to the 1800s.   ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: March 10, 2012, 03:16:00 am »

My favorite parts about the video?
1: The like/dislike bar.
2: The last part of the URL:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Least favorite part is the commentators saying that modern Democrats are aligned with the KKK.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2679 on: March 10, 2012, 03:24:20 am »

"I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I" -Talking Heads All Over

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:39 am »

That woman takes talking shit to an artform

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:29 am »

How can you talk for so long and yet not provide anything at all to back up your main statement?  I mean, at least she had a point this time, but she just rambled randomly for the rest of her talk without explaining how Obama wants to take America back to before the Civil War at all.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:59 pm »

How can you talk for so long and yet not provide anything at all to back up your main statement?  I mean, at least she had a point this time, but she just rambled randomly for the rest of her talk without explaining how Obama wants to take America back to before the Civil War at all.

Do you watch much Fox News? Because that's SOP.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: March 10, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »

That woman takes talking shit to an artform
Abstract art, maybe.

In other news, Santorum takes Kansas, Romney takes Wyoming. Nothing really unexpected there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:08:31 pm by alway »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2684 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:54 am »

I find it odd that Newt is polling #1 in Mississippi, followed by Romney.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 714