Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717472 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2700 on: March 12, 2012, 06:08:27 pm »

Now that's some political graft I can believe in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: March 13, 2012, 07:32:16 am »

It's official, the populations South Carolina and Georgia will be sent to the moon to colonise it.
And North Carolina will hereby annex the vacated territory, to protect it from infestation by Florida. Besides, we could use the Lebensraum.

In other news, expect to see half-junked lunar rovers on cinderblocks in front of each lunar habitat.

EDIT:

It's Gameday in the Deep South! Alabama and Mississippi are on the clock, and both states are a virtual 3-way race at this point. Latest polls:

National:
For the first time in quite a while, a national general election poll shows Obama losing. Specifically, the ABC News/Washington Post *and* Rasmussen both have a hypothetical Romney v. Obama matchup showing a Romney win, at +2 and +3 respectively. CBS News/NY Times still has Obama at +3 in the same matchup. Obama still beating all other challengers in every other poll.

Alabama
PPP has the following results:
Romney - 31%
Gingrich - 30%
Santorum - 29%
Paul - 8%

The aggregate of polls over the last couple of days seems to show a miniscule Romney lead overall in Alabama (which, it should be remembered, has a tight cluster of highly educated and well-to-do engineer types in and around Huntsville). Gingrich appears to narrowly have 2nd, with Santorum bringing up 3rd. But the margins are so tight that if someone sneezes wrong in a campaign stop today, it could change the poll positions.

Mississippi
Not a lot of poll data to go on, but so far it looks like Gingrich, Romney, Santorum in that order. The fact that Santorum has slid to 3rd place in these two Bible Belt states puts a heavy pall on his chances. Gingrich's strategy of targeting the South appears to be working for him, mostly at Santorum's expense. If and when Romney wins the nomination, there are going to be a lot of people looking back at these two races and saying this is where the last real chance to stop him fell through. Be interesting to see if it creates a broader split between the "Tea Party" types and the evangelical social conservative crowd.

Louisiana
Santorum - 25%
Romney - 21%
Gingrich - 20%
Paul - 6%

Santorum might be getting a bit of a boost from the higher-than-average Catholic representation in the Bayou State (but then Newt is Catholic as well, even if he keeps that on the down low). Be worth watching to see if Santorum loses this edge in LA if he loses Alabama and Mississippi.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:05:58 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2702 on: March 13, 2012, 01:54:38 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-santorum-dangers-carbon-dioxide-tell-plant-152230291.html

"... is the only candidate directly opposed to Obama on energy policy", "global warming is a hoax", "How dangerous is carbon dioxide, ask a plant!", etc.

I would also personally note that that first quote is factually incorrect. All candidates, including Obama are looking to increase domestic production of oil and natural gas.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: March 13, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »

"Those living on or near the Gulf Coast in particular know the impact these extreme environmental positions can have on the region's economy."

Ummm...yeah is the GOP memory on Gulf environmental problems really that short...it seems it is. ;_;

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »

Someone should challenge Santorum to sit in a room full of carbon dioxide for a few minutes. After all, it's harmless, right?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: March 13, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »

If it's good enough for the plants, by God, it's good enough for Santorum.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2706 on: March 13, 2012, 03:33:40 pm »

Plants crave, etc., etc.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: March 13, 2012, 05:57:29 pm »

Someone should challenge Santorum to sit in a room full of carbon dioxide for a few minutes. After all, it's harmless, right?
I whole-heartedly support this idea.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #2708 on: March 13, 2012, 06:12:07 pm »

Rick Santorum said "Vote for Ron Paul, that's what you should do".

Seriously.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »

I cannot believe I'm saying the next 5 words, but in Rick Santorum's defense, the impression that the quote you provided gives is tremendously at odds with the meaning the video's context adds. I mean, I'll be the first to agree that when being confronted with the hypocrisy of the stereotypical politician, saying that you should vote for someone else if you're looking for fanatical consistency is a poor choice*, but let's not be disingenuous here.

*Although, really, the only good choice is to say, "Yes, I have since realized that I erred when I cast those votes, and for that I sincerely apologize to the American people, and promise to exercise the vigilance expected of me now that I've had time to reflect on the matter and decide what truly is the right course", but of course admitting past wrong is anathema to a politician so that will never happen
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: March 13, 2012, 07:24:51 pm »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: March 13, 2012, 07:28:08 pm »

Alabama and Mississippi votes being counted as we speak.  In both states, Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich were all neck-and-neck-and-jowel in poling, and remain so with 1% of the vote in.  Romney is "expected" to win Mississippi, because of the support of the Haley Barber machine, but it's still up in the air.  Both states use "proportional" representation, but not the same system.  It's relatively percentile in Mississippi, but sorta winner-take-most, runner-up-take-some in Alabama.

Will Gingrich have a legitimate reason to remain in the race?  Will political connection hand Romney another squeaker?  Will an electorate wherein about 13% believe Obama is really a Christian flock to the one Republican candidate whose religious views people can clearly delineate?  Will Ron Paul actually win a delegate?  Will Aqizzar ever bother updating the OP prior to the following election day?

Tune in, turn on, and don't drop out, we don't tolerate no wacky tobacky smokin' in these parts.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: March 13, 2012, 07:47:23 pm »

I cannot believe I'm saying the next 5 words, but in Rick Santorum's defense, the impression that the quote you provided gives is tremendously at odds with the meaning the video's context adds. I mean, I'll be the first to agree that when being confronted with the hypocrisy of the stereotypical politician, saying that you should vote for someone else if you're looking for fanatical consistency is a poor choice*, but let's not be disingenuous here.
That doesn't seem to be what he's saying.  It's more like "Look, I don't agree with you, I don't regret voting for those measures, vote for Ron Paul if those are your views".  Rick Santorum doesn't believe in limited government, so "How are these measures limited governance?" is basically a nonsense question to him since he agrees that they aren't.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: March 13, 2012, 08:47:35 pm »

With 65% in for Mississippi, Santorum leads Gingrich, then Romney, at like 33/31/30, a spread of just a few thousand votes between them.  Alabama still way too early to call with only about 20% counted, but Santorum leading Gingrich by a few thousand with Romney right behind.

Meanwhile, lower overall turnout compared to 2008, and of those voting a higher proportion call themselves "Evangelical", to the tune of 37% then vs nearly 50% now.  Oh yeah, and 97% White.

EDIT: Now with almost 30% in for Alabama, NBC is calling it for Santorum, but I would recommend they keep the crow on the burner.  I wouldn't call it settled until at least half the vote is in.

EDIT: Fox getting reading to call it as well.  I still say it's premature, but I'm just one guy after all.  Meanwhile, Mississippi counted to 80%, still a leading spread of just five thousand votes between the three of them.

EDIT: Mississippi still "too close to call" somehow, compared to Alabama, with 97% of the vote counted, and Santorum leading Gingrich by about three thousand votes, Romney about that far behind him.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:45:18 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: March 13, 2012, 09:57:04 pm »

Fuck it, I'm doubleposting and nobody can stop me.

Rick Santorum has won both Alabama and Mississippi, Gingrich placed a close second in both, Romney a close third in each.  Romney spent almost four times as much money as either of them.  The proportional delegate rules in each means that Gingrich will be getting a fair number of consolation points, Romney virtually none.

Gingrich may well drop out, now that the last area he was expected to do well in has come and gone without a legitimate victory, and certainly his one main source of funding could easily dry up tomorrow.  Next up is Illinois, which is likely to be a very close two-way match following the example of Michigan and Ohio, and could easily go for Santorum now that people are likely to write off Gingrich as a lost cause.

Technically next up is the Hawaii caucus sometime tomorrow, but with all of 14 delegates and Ron Paul likely to get most of them, from a state no Republican will ever win, nobody gives a shit.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 714