Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717533 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3180 on: April 24, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »

Well that's the most plausible path I've seen to a four way split actually happening without the US first instituting proportional representation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: April 24, 2012, 07:24:01 pm »

Well that's the most plausible path I've seen to a four way split actually happening without the US first instituting proportional representation.
And that in itself is impossible.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: April 24, 2012, 07:34:27 pm »

Unlikely I'll grant you but not impossible.  I don't think there's anybody in the country who actually likes the first past the post system.  Maybe if the direct elections movement succeeds we could see a movement for an amendment to institute proportional representation be next.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: April 24, 2012, 07:39:38 pm »

Er, don't we already have proportional representation, or something like it? The states with more population have more representatives. We also have two senators from each states, regardless of population, so low-pop states aren't completely pushed around.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: April 24, 2012, 07:40:51 pm »

Er, don't we already have proportional representation, or something like it? The states with more population have more representatives. We also have two senators from each states, regardless of population, so low-pop states aren't completely pushed around.

Proportional representation means that if you cast your votes for losing candidates, then your votes go to "at large" districts.  So if 5% of people cast their votes for the green candidates the green party gets 5% of the seats, regardless of the fact that they probably lost every election in the country.  Thus all votes count equally, regardless of districts.  Look it up.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:38 pm »

A four-way split would be nice. This is probably what would happen if Britain recolonised the US- UKIP would get the crazy republicans, the Conservatives would get the moderate Republicans and the blue dog Democrats, and the rest of the democrats would be split between Labour and the Lib Dems.
Ah yes, what the crazy US conservatives really care about is withdrawing the UK from the EU :P.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: April 24, 2012, 08:00:13 pm »

Proportional representation means that if you cast your votes for losing candidates, then your votes go to "at large" districts.  So if 5% of people cast their votes for the green candidates the green party gets 5% of the seats, regardless of the fact that they probably lost every election in the country.  Thus all votes count equally, regardless of districts.  Look it up.
Damn you, English. You and your words that can mean one thing when put together but something different when put together slightly differently. :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: April 24, 2012, 08:35:58 pm »

Damn you, English. You and your words that can mean one thing when put together but something different when put together slightly differently. :(
Yeah its technichly a proportional representation voting system, not proportional represntation of the population.
Unlikely I'll grant you but not impossible.  I don't think there's anybody in the country who actually likes the first past the post system.  Maybe if the direct elections movement succeeds we could see a movement for an amendment to institute proportional representation be next.
I don't think its that people like the first past the post system, its that the majority of voters just don't give a shit. If it were put to referendum I tihink first past the post would win on the basis of momentum.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: April 24, 2012, 08:36:49 pm »

Oh hey, Mitt projected to win all five races by 50%+.

Though honestly, it kinda says something that he's only in the mid-50s in some of those states, considering his opposition consists of Gingrich and Ron Paul. Especially interesting that Santorum is currently in 2nd place in Pennsylvania, despite not being in the race anymore. There's still a significant "Anybody But Romney" contingent out there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: April 24, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »

It has a few things going for it:
1) Its what is specified in the holy constitution, and is so central to what it says that it is exceedingly unlikely to be changed.
2) It is massively beneficial to those in power, right now dems+reps control 98% of the senate. If it changed then almost undoubtedly +20 senators would lose their jobs, and they would have no clue if it would be them or not before it happens.
3) It would eradicate the unfair representation all of the smaller states have (and thus they would almost surely oppose it), it it didn't eradicate it (eg. by making each state have equal effect on those chosen even if they have 1/10 of the population), then all of the larger states would oppose.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:47 pm »

Proportional representation would probably take place by expanding upon the existing representation, not replacing it.  And my gut tells me that it would only happen in the House, not the Senate.  It would not make much sense in the Senate.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3191 on: April 24, 2012, 11:20:43 pm »

Adding party proportionality wouldn't necessarilly eliminate the large vs small state dynamic.

For instance, in the house representatives could be proportionally allocated within the state. Of course this means that a lot of smaller states will get odd results. For instance a 2 senator state will almost always put up 1 each (D & R) and a 3 senator state will almost always elect 1 D, 1 R, and 1 3rd party candidate. It wouldn't be without its own unique quirks.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:17 pm »

That's an interesting idea.  But I don't think it would be adopted because if people are trying to reform the Senate they'd probably not be interested in preserving the disproportionate representation of the small states.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: April 25, 2012, 10:10:37 am »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/25/breaking-gingrich-to-end-white-house-bid/?hpt=hp_t1

So it looks like the Great White Dope is finally ready to cede to reality. Kind of a pity actually, I was hoping he'd take his rampaging ego all the way to convention so it would actually be watchable.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:08:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: April 25, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »

Ugg.  Small states are supposed to have disproportionate representation, because states act like some kind of half-assed country in a weird not-quite-UN.

I may not always like what states' rights lets crazy right-wing states get away with, but I like knowing that some crazy state on the other end of the spectrum could do things I approve of, and have a fair amount of sway in the federal government even if they have low population.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 714