Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720784 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3495 on: May 15, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »

Seriously, Easter and Christmas are rebrandings of earlier pagan holidays revolving around the rebirth of the sun and the resurrection of the natural world.

Have you ever been to an Easter rite?  That's not what Easter is about.  Yeah some of that snuck in because of the time of the year.  But that's not the core of Easter.  The core of Easter is the miracle of the resurrection, literally the most central component of Christian faith.  If you think it's a celebration of spring you are completely missing the point.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: May 15, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »

I believe his point was these holidays have been repurposed for christianity, not that they are (today) pagan holidays.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: May 15, 2012, 07:25:14 pm »

Have you ever been to an Easter rite?  That's not what Easter is about.  Yeah some of that snuck in because of the time of the year.  But that's not the core of Easter.  The core of Easter is the miracle of the resurrection, literally the most central component of Christian faith.  If you think it's a celebration of spring you are completely missing the point.

Seriously. Retconned. That's not what Easter was about. Easter was already a holiday before Jesus ever came along, so the idea is kind of silly. There is a reason it's called "Easter" and not "Jesus".

Because Easter is the goddess of spring and fertility.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: May 15, 2012, 07:36:39 pm »

Blah blah elections blah blah blah.

I don't deny that Obama and Romney giving dueling commencement addresses, Romney at a university that dedicates a whole course to teaching it's students how to combat Mormonism and it's "occult origins", is interesting election stuff.  But it's getting a mite huffy in here.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:40 pm »

Seriously. Retconned.

Seriously, not.  Like half the new testament is people talking about the miracle of the resurrection and the salvation.  It is the most central aspect of the entire religion.

Yes there were spring festivals before.  But Easter is not a spring festival.  It is a festival about the resurrection and the promise of salvation.  And this is pretty much the most basic of the tenets of Christianity, right after "do unto others".
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:17 pm »

Seriously. Retconned.

Seriously, not.  Like half the new testament is people talking about the miracle of the resurrection and the salvation.  It is the most central aspect of the entire religion.

Yes there were spring festivals before.  But Easter is not a spring festival.  It is a festival about the resurrection and the promise of salvation.  And this is pretty much the most basic of the tenets of Christianity, right after "do unto others".

Christianity is not exactly the first religion to have a major figure die for three days then miraculously come back to life.  But yeah, Easter /was previously/ a spring festival, prior to Christianity coming in and saying "Look, we have a holiday in Spring too, you don't have to lose your holiday, just change it to ours".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:34 pm »

What are you smoking, Maniac? Pass it around.

Yes, Easter is nowadays a celebration about the resurrection and blah blah blah. What they're saying is Easter was not always like that, but was once upon a time a 100% pagan holiday. Christianity adopted and morphed it over time into what it is today. All those things you're talking about were tenants of Christianity long before Easter became part of the religion at all.

Also I can't tell if that picture is stop motion or just a bad gif. If it's stop motion, that's a credit to whoever made it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:56:31 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57:16 pm »

So, how 'bout that election news? Anybody hear anything crazy from the teaparty lately?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:42 pm »

So, how 'bout that election news? Anybody hear anything crazy from the teaparty lately?

Nobody's heard anything crazy from the Tea Party since around November 9th of 2010.  After they won a bunch of elections, the Koch money dried up and they scattered to the dusty wind from whence they came.  At this point, nobody even bothers trying to remind first-term Republicans around the country that they were elected promising "all fiscal no social".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: May 15, 2012, 08:00:56 pm »

Coke money? That explains it all.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: May 15, 2012, 08:03:27 pm »

Yes, Easter is nowadays a celebration about the resurrection and blah blah blah. What they're saying is Easter was not always like that, but was once upon a time a 100% pagan holiday.

And I've said like five times now, yes there were earlier holidays on the same day.  But if you take even the remotest look at the actual religious practices they bear no resemblance.  May day also takes place in spring.  I suppose that's a rip off of pagan practices?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: May 15, 2012, 08:26:40 pm »

He probably meant Little Scotty Klopfenstein.
I was sure he meant Scott Calvin.
Damn you, 90's!

And I've said like five times now, yes there were earlier holidays on the same day.  But if you take even the remotest look at the actual religious practices they bear no resemblance.  May day also takes place in spring.  I suppose that's a rip off of pagan practices?
::) Yes, yes it is. Just like Ēostre.

So, I decided to take a peek at the Google 'election news' listings. I immediately turned back after reading the line, "Obama Campaign Depicts Romney as 'Job-Destroying Vampire.'"

This is going to be one hell of a time to own a TV.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: May 15, 2012, 08:34:22 pm »

Wikipedia (yeah, yeah, I know,) on May Day, first thing:
May Day is related to the Celtic festival of Beltane and the Germanic festival of Walpurgis Night. May Day falls exactly half a year from November 1, another cross-quarter day which is also associated with various northern European pagan and the year in the Northern hemisphere, and it has traditionally been an occasion for popular and often raucous celebrations.

As Europe became Christianized, the pagan holidays lost their religious character and either changed into popular secular celebrations, as with May Day, or were merged with or replaced by new Christian holidays as with Christmas, Easter, Pentecost and All Saint's Day. In the twentieth and continuing into the twenty-first century, many neopagans began reconstructing the old traditions and celebrating May Day as a pagan religious festival again.
So yeah. Christianity steals things like icons and dates, this has been firmly established to anyone who knows anything about history.

Now, let's get back to politics, ja? It's nonsensical as it is without this ridiculous argument.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:34 pm »

Easter is not a retcon. It surpassed the old Easter festival, not adopted it. The majority of Christian countries have their "Easter" holidays named after Pesach, the Jewish holiday that Jesus was celebrating when he was seized (the whole last supper thing, you know). Since he then died and came back, the celebration is of that. You know, since that is the single most important event in Christianity.

It's not a retcon or a merge or a holiday moved around to deliberately overwrite another one (like Christmas or Halloween). It's a genuinely Christian holiday all the way. That there were other festivals around the same time of year which got surpassed by it (and in the almost singular case of English, passed on it's name) is just coincidence.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:47 pm »

Just because ancient societies had a holiday on 1st of may doesn't mean they celebrated the labor movement on the 1st of may.
Just because it's the same date doesn't mean it's celebrating the same thing.  There has been a holiday for something or other literally every day of the year going on for millennia now.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 714