Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717460 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4155 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:23 pm »

Seriously, the actual number that the money occupies is not what is important in an economy, it is the value of the money itself. Zimbabwe's money was so inflated that you needed several dozen trillion Zimbabwean dollars to buy a burger at McDonalds. They had to scrap the whole thing and start over.

Money is a means to an end, and that end is the effective establishment of standardized trade based upon a more objective system of value than that which exists with barter alone. Money is nothing but an abstraction of worth that we all mutually agree to use so that our trade will run more smoothly. Coming to believe that money itself is objectively important and serves as an end is a failing, because it forgets the actual purpose of money in our society and replaces it with obsession, which we have historically termed "greed".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:50:16 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: July 30, 2012, 08:56:42 pm »

Now did I say that Chinese can't understand Capitalism? No, I didn't. I said that China, presently, isn't an example of Rand's ideas in action (who, by the way, is an entirely different animal from myself), isn't an example of unregulated capitalism, and doesn't exemplify the virtues of regulation through the market.

You keep saying these things like you think there's some kind of distinction between "lawless capitalism" and "free market with no government intervention".  It strikes me as demanding to know the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin, and it's really making the rest of your argument hard to take seriously.

And it's still giant ugly quote-ladders.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: July 30, 2012, 09:56:07 pm »

Income disparity, in of itself, is not a bad thing.
I... I... what.

Side note: If I take something out of context, but the context happens to be a horrible false dichotomy or other logical fallacy, am I still doing something wrong? I'm improving their argument, which is usually the opposite of what happens taking things out of context.

Well, if the poorest 50% of the country lives with 100,000 dollars per year and the richest 1% lives with 100,000,000,000 per year (yes I know it's excessive, bear with me), there is a massive income disparity.

Meanwhile, if the poorest 50% of the country lives with 1,000 dollars per year and the richest 1% live with 5,000 dollars per year, the income disparity is tiny.

Which country would you rather live in?

That's a red herring argument, you are comparing a richer country to a poorer one.  I could easily turn it around:

Would you rather live in a country where 1% make a 2.5 million a year and everyone else makes tuppence a year or where the top make a 2.5 million still but everyone else makes $50k?

Obviously you'd rather live in the second country because the first one is a country of extreme poverty.  But the second country doesn't just distribute the wealth better there is much more wealth.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:33:34 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »

I fail to see how that's turned around, and not just the same thing in reverse order.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:57 pm »

I fail to see how that's turned around, and not just the same thing in reverse order.

Oops, mistyped due to not really paying attention.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:35 am »

Lawless/Unregulated Capitalism: You are just begging companies to not give a shit about what actions they take in the name of profits.
Lack of Enforcement/Monitoring: Signaling to the companies that they can do whatever the heck they want in the name of profits as long as they don't get caught.

People will still buy the products of offending companies.  Because it is cheaper/affordable... especially if the product is just as good and just as available as its competition.
Sure, you have other sorts of people with more money that will pay more of a premium for stuff made by 'good' companies... but yea... there is only so much of a market here...

That is my view of how it'll happen anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: July 31, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

hey look some sources, they generally conclude that happiness negitivly associates with income inequality, from that I can only assume we would all prefer to live in a more equal society given otherwise identical characteristics (these two aren't behind paywalls, if you have access to an academic database there are quite a few with similar conclusions and results)

So I'm going to say income disparity itself seems to be indicative of bad things at the very least
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:10:42 am by cameron »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »

So, how about that Mitt Romney fellow and his hilariously terrible trip to Europe?  Apparently his press secretary recently got angry because the media tried to ask him some questions vaguely near to a war memorial.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/31/romney-aide-loses-cool-curses-at-press-in-poland/

Gorka: "Kiss my ass. This is a Holy site for the Polish people. Show some respect."
Something about this quote is just so perfect.

Not that his supporters will care but the fact he's managed to offend Britain, say something stupid about Palestine and have his press secretary make an ass of himself before he's even anywhere near the presidency doesn't speak  wonders of his foreign policy skills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: July 31, 2012, 12:16:50 pm »

Problem being that "pissing off other countries" is seen as a positive trait among Republicans. As long as the other countries aren't Israel.  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: July 31, 2012, 12:33:45 pm »

What do you think of this?

http://politicalcompass.org/uselection2012

Accurate, or not?

Also, take the test

http://politicalcompass.org/test

Also Palestine is not a sovereign power... so...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: July 31, 2012, 12:37:45 pm »

We've had a few threads about that political compass website before. In general, I believe the consensus was that it was skewed somewhat towards liberalism and wasn't a very useful tool. (Questions being biased, leading, vague, etc.)

Palestine's sovereignty is sort of the issue in question, I would think. Moreover, the Palestine National Authority directly oversees several regions of Israel at the moment.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4166 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:02 pm »

At the voting booth, I'm fairly sure the election method for them is: see 'R', punch ballot.
With how crazy the Rs have been, its quickly becoming the other way around for me with straight Ds.

I'm sure straight ticket mentality is entrenched everywhere now, really.  I would test it by Repubbing up in an even area, running a flawless campaign, then proving I am absolutely batshit insane during the last month... but I'm afraid I would win and get stuck there.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: July 31, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »

The thing is, going on about cultural superiority didn't go down well with left wing Israelis, even if he was saying that they are the culturally superior ones.  I guess it doesn't matter though since those aren't the true Israelis.

What do you think of this?
Nobody's Libertarian enough for me :'( I'll just put them all in the upper right corner of my diagram with the Nazis or maybe the upper left with Stalin occasionally

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: July 31, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »

Not that his supporters will care but the fact he's managed to offend Britain, say something stupid about Palestine and have his press secretary make an ass of himself before he's even anywhere near the presidency doesn't speak  wonders of his foreign policy skills.

What did he do to offend Britain? I haven't heard of that one.
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:43 pm »

What did he do to offend Britain? I haven't heard of that one.
Something about the Olympic security being insufficient if I remember correctly...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 714