Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717398 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4755 on: August 18, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »

More along the lines of the punisher, really. Bats usually wasn't much for the mass murder of innocent civilians in order to get at someone he didn't like. Don't think the punisher was either, but that's a bit closer.

Really, though, the second someone starts proclaiming happiness at the thought of hundreds or thousands of innocents dead because of some political bullshit, you can pretty safely... I wouldn't say ignore, per se, but discount and revile? Yes. Bloodthirst is not a virtue. S'in fact kinda' disgusting, especially if you're intending to exercise it on actual human beings.

I guess a lot of people don't realize that "some B-2" would put dozens of innocents into the grave, but that doesn't really excuse the sentiment. It's either they don't realize it, or have dehumanized the population of whatever place they dislike to the point it's acceptable. Which is even worse.

The deaths of a few, to save the dozens of innocents Iran kills every day. We'd only need to blow up airbases and their nuclear plants. Iran is destabilized enough it would turn into the next Libya anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: August 18, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

We'd get a better result from covertly (or not so covertly) supporting pro-democracy Iranian factions. Iran's regime is already heavily criticized by its own people, there just needs to be a push. Direct military intervention is something that rarely goes well unless reserved until absolutely necessary.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: August 18, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »

Romney: gets elected, retroactively changes his campaign promises.
Mitt Romney has ALWAYS been at war with Eastasia.

I love you for this.

Also guys if you don't feed the troll, he'll starve to death.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: August 18, 2012, 03:02:11 pm »

I am certainly not eager and happy at the idea of going to war with Iran, but I can see it as a better option than not going to war with Iran under the right circumstances. And things seem to be heading towards those circumstances at some point in the next decade.

They seem to be headed that way only because there is a consensus among chickenhawk editorial writers that they are headed that way.  I find it trivially easy to imagine a decade without war with Iran.  I imagine that after a decade the editorialists will have grown bored and moved on.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: August 18, 2012, 04:47:58 pm »

We'd get a better result from covertly (or not so covertly) supporting pro-democracy Iranian factions. Iran's regime is already heavily criticized by its own people, there just needs to be a push. Direct military intervention is something that rarely goes well unless reserved until absolutely necessary.

You mean like Libya, or Nazi Germany, or Imperialist Japan, right?

I fail to find one example, including Vietnam, where it wasn't effective. We lost vietnam politically. They made us not want to fight anymore, and that was how they won. After Tet, the NVA was broken, the VC nonexistent. Due to the invasion of Czechloslovakia, Sino-Soviet tensions rose and China backed out of Vietnam. Cambodia was now hostile to the North and allowed the US to come in and try to purge the Viet Cong. It was over. But we got to the last foot of the marathon and said "screw it" and walked away, rather than win.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: August 18, 2012, 05:01:41 pm »

But war is bad, man. Like, really, really bad. Random people die, good and bad, old and young. And the worst part is, you cannot undie them.
It's true.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: August 18, 2012, 05:02:09 pm »

You mean like Libya, or Nazi Germany, or Imperialist Japan, right?

I fail to find one example, including Vietnam, where it wasn't effective. We lost vietnam politically. They made us not want to fight anymore, and that was how they won. After Tet, the NVA was broken, the VC nonexistent. Due to the invasion of Czechloslovakia, Sino-Soviet tensions rose and China backed out of Vietnam. Cambodia was now hostile to the North and allowed the US to come in and try to purge the Viet Cong. It was over. But we got to the last foot of the marathon and said "screw it" and walked away, rather than win.
Ah, yea... keeping the civilian population in the dark and only releasing good news.  I believe that is one of the results of Vietnam in today's wars...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: August 18, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »

And what would've been achieved by "winning" in Vietnam other than pride?  Getting even more civilians and US servicemen meaninglessly killed at huge expense?

Incidentally there was no "direct military intervention" in Libya - instead simple measures were taking to prevent Gadaffi from killing his own civilians.  Iran is not remotely comparable to either Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan as it's not anexing its neighbours.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:13:53 pm by Leafsnail »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: August 18, 2012, 05:13:28 pm »

Ah, yea... keeping the civilian population in the dark and only releasing good news.  I believe that is one of the results of Vietnam in today's wars...
Agreed, I think they learned pretty quickly not to report about us losing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: August 18, 2012, 05:16:44 pm »

Except for that one time shortly after the Tet offensive where they reported us losing, and the North winning. Then we backed out.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: August 18, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

Look at it this way: Millions of people are going to die in an invasion. That's basically guaranteed. Even if the U.S. military doesn't kill any civilians(unlikely), the Iranian government is still going to conscript massive numbers of people, impose medicine and food rations, etc. Iran does not have deathcamps like Japan or the Nazis did. The worst thing they're doing is imprisoning a few thousand political dissidents indefinitely, giving several thousand more shorter sentences, and killing a few. That's awful, but it doesn't even compare to the damage an invasion would do. People aren't an extension of the government,except in a consensus democracy, which is totally impossible,  and the Iranian people shouldn't suffer because of what their government did.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4766 on: August 18, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »

Or Iran nukes Israel for shits and giggles.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: August 18, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »

Because they're insane Nazi Sith lords.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4768 on: August 18, 2012, 05:58:31 pm »

Because they're insane Nazi Sith lords.

Because they are run by fundamentalists who have publicly stated that they want to see Israel wiped off the face of the earth.

There are about as dangerous than the American Christian Fundamentalists who want to see Israel get nuked so we can finally kick off Armageddon, only they have more direct power over their country and any nuclear weapons they get.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: August 18, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »

Except Iran isn't stupid enough to believe they'd have a chance if they did act as the aggressor, so that's nil.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 714