Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717382 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5235 on: September 06, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »

So... which set of corrupt individuals are you going to vote for?

We get to face this question for the 56th time this year. Woohoo.

Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5236 on: September 06, 2012, 03:07:26 pm »

So... which set of corrupt individuals are you going to vote for?

Excellent question.

I don't vote for sets of corrupt individuals. I vote for the individual corrupt based on the merits of their particular corruption.

Economic policy is still my primary motivation.

If we were not still teetering on the edge of recession/depression might vote Gary Johnson.

Obama is still least bad for the economy (and he is still not good enough).

I'll spend some time looking at Jill Stein. Even if I approve of her, I will still probably vote Obama considering I am in a swing state and denying Florida to Romney is important. I have voted green in the past, when I lived in Mississippi and my vote didn't matter anyway.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: September 06, 2012, 03:13:35 pm »

I'm just pissed that both major parties have shown themselves to be at least as corrupt as each other in their respective conventions... the Republicans pulled almost this same thing(minus the blundering retries) at theirs.

I personally don't think Jill Stein is different enough on the important stuff from Obama to bother voting for. And on the minor things I like to look at, she actually goes in the wrong direction from what I'd prefer. Also, from the little I've seen, she's just not all that charismatic.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5238 on: September 06, 2012, 06:37:55 pm »

Derp derp lets vote 3 times, ok at the end I got the result I wanted lets certify the amendment!

Sigh.  Ah well, at least it probably improves the democrats chances at winning the election.  Plus, republicans can evidently push thru rules the same shitty way.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: September 06, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

Just to be very clear on this;

"Jerusalem is and will remain the capital of Israel. The parties have agreed that Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations. It should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths."

That's the language from their platform. The two things I take from this;

1) They recognise the Israeli position on Jerusalem as their capital. This is actually current US policy and has been for a long time. It may be slightly problematic from a diplomatic viewpoint, appearing to strongly favour Israel's claims in any negotiations, but given they also recognise the question of Jerusalem's status is subject to such negotiations I don't think this is a huge problem.

2) They say it should remain an undivided city accessible to all faiths. This is almost more problematic. Working out how to pull of such a feat has only ever been done on the West Wing. Many two-state models include a divided Jerusalem and/or fall down on the question of how to maintain access to the sacred sites. Because point 1 sabotages the US's ability to take part in such debates it's hard to see how the US can take an active role in achieving this point, which makes it a wish for a sparkly pony with ribbons in it's tail.

In the end this is simply the 2008 language re-inserted. Given that Obama has been painted as both a Zionist and enemy-of-Jews depending on who you read, I'm not sure we can take much away from this. Other than the DNC is still a pathetic pandering body of spineless jerks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: September 06, 2012, 07:14:35 pm »

I really wish that the Crusaders would have accidentally burned Jerusalem to the ground all those centuries ago. That place causes way too much trouble for everyone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: September 06, 2012, 07:38:03 pm »

I expect we'd still be fighting over the ruins.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5242 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »

Yea... probably would.  Even if said ruins were blasted into the ocean and it was an island, there would still be fighting over them.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: September 06, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

2) They say it should remain an undivided city accessible to all faiths. This is almost more problematic. Working out how to pull of such a feat has only ever been done on the West Wing. Many two-state models include a divided Jerusalem and/or fall down on the question of how to maintain access to the sacred sites. Because point 1 sabotages the US's ability to take part in such debates it's hard to see how the US can take an active role in achieving this point, which makes it a wish for a sparkly pony with ribbons in it's tail.

Jack Ryan did it in a Tom Clancy book too, just as an aside.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »

Didn't Tom Clancy give Jerusalem to the Vatican in one of his books?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:40 pm »

No. The Vatican supplied the security force for the city of Jerusalem (on the grounds that the only military force that was trusted not to immediately annex the city was the Vatican's Swiss mercenaries), but the government was by an interfaith council involving all the major faiths that consider the city sacred.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: September 07, 2012, 06:32:51 am »

...How did they define what level of "faith" was going to be representated? I mean, was it like "Jews, Christians, and Muslims", or the "Orthodox, Conservative, and Liberal Jews; Orthodox, Catholic, Catholic-Orthodox, Protestant, Anglican, Reformist, and Mormon Christians; and Sunni, Shia, and [Those Two Other Major Branches of Islam I Can Never Remember the Name of] Muslims" level, or "[All the Individual Cults and Sects of All Three Faiths Are Represented]"?
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: September 07, 2012, 07:29:33 am »

It's Tom Clancy, so I'm guessing the answer is "I was going to get around to explaining that but spent ten pages giving you the equipment loadout of the Swiss Guards, down to the individual serial numbers on their gear. Oh, and that shower sex scene with the foxy Mossad agent. What was the question again?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: September 07, 2012, 07:39:57 am »

The real question is whether more people fap to the shower sex scene, or the equipment loadout.

Anyhow, has anyone seen the new horror add about Canadian healthcare? It basically says that someone with a benign tumor was evaluated in Canada, found to have a condition that wasn't immediately dangerous, and put on a waiting list for surgery. Then she went to the U.S. and, because she had money, had it operated on immediately. They never mention how much money that surgery cost her, or that if she didn't have money in the U.S. that she would have had to wait twice as long than in Canada.

Is Canadian healthcare perfect? Certainly not. But it's a little rude to harp on them for not having a two-tier health system when they've fought tooth and nail not to.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: September 07, 2012, 07:58:06 am »

The real question is whether more people fap to the shower sex scene, or the equipment loadout.
Given the way Clancy writes sex scenes....I'm gonna go with the latter. He's guilty of a little too much "insert tab A into slot B", if you know what I mean...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 714