Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720879 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5490 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:48 pm »

But we were saying bad things about him, and you can't put a price on a man's honour.

Back in 2010 the going rate was $24.85 individual or $20.09 wholesale but you are right that I don't know what the price is these days.

I'd like $25, my honour is expensive.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: September 18, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »

Yeah after the supply of honor went rocketing up the value of it has depreciated somewhat.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:33 pm »

Until I saw this, I hadn't realized how formulaic, and near-identical Romney and Obama's nomination acceptance speeches were.

As an aside, I love the Gregory Brothers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

It's time for another round of the hit game in American Politics, Is Clint Eastwood Senile or Trolling?

Aaannnd.....go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: September 18, 2012, 09:27:29 pm »

If somebody’s dumb enough to ask me to go to a political convention and say something, they’re gonna have to take what they get.
Well he regained my respect.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: September 18, 2012, 09:29:53 pm »

If somebody’s dumb enough to ask me to go to a political convention and say something, they’re gonna have to take what they get.
Agreed.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: September 18, 2012, 09:54:12 pm »

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the day I get invited to speak at a political convention.

I'm going to have a BLAST.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: September 19, 2012, 12:56:28 am »

Easy come up with some half-assed story about how Obama ruined your life and get a free ride to the RNC. It's worked for plenty of frauds so far, like that Lebanese guy who gets speaking tours because he made up a fake "i used to be a terrorist" stories, which he supplants with Obama / UN / University Professors / NWO consipracy theories about a UN Muslim Marxist takeover (backed by all those evil university professors no less), to really pull the right-wing crowds.

We have been covering the absurd, bizarre and paranoid rantings of phony ex-terrorist Kamal Saleem as he emerged on the Religious Right scene, and today he had his biggest platform yet at the Values Voter Summit, where he was preceded by Ohio congressman Jim Jordan and a video message by Mitt Romney. Saleem told conference goers his made-up story about his time as a terrorist working for Lebanon, Syria, the PLO, Libya, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and even Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan, until he moved to the U.S. to wage "cultural jihad." He claimed he and his fellow terrorists "met the professors" at American universities and colleges, which "were our playgrounds," in order to help "the professors to establish new curriculum purposefully" to brainwash students to change "your children to hit your nation with everything they've got."

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/born-every-minute-values-voters-lap
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/kamal-saleem-former-terrorist-islamophobia
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/people/kamal-saleem

Conveniently, everyone he claims he ever worked for (a who's who of people Americans hate), is dead.
According to his memoir, The Blood of Lambs, Saleem, who grew up in Lebanon, broke into the terror biz at the age of seven by running weapons—strapped onto sheep—for Palestine Liberation Organization leader Yasser Arafat (who kissed his forehead at a public ceremony, "his breath bearing tales of garlic and onion"). As a teenager, he helped run a terrorist camp in the Libyan desert at the behest of Moammar Qaddafi. He visited Iraq, where he rubbed shoulders with Saddam Hussein. In the late 1970s, he traveled to Afghanistan, working alongside the mujahideen and CIA spooks to beat back the Soviets.

Guy claims he hung out with Arafat, Ghadaffi, Saddam, Osama. Which "bad guy" didn't he work for?

Doug Howard, a professor of Middle Eastern history at Michigan's Calvin College, first encountered Saleem in 2007, when he was invited to speak at the school. Howard quickly became suspicious: For starters, Saleem claimed to be a descendant of the "Grand Wazir of Islam," a position that doesn't exist. Howard dug deeper and discovered that Saleem's original name was Khodor Shami—and that for more than a decade before outing himself as a former terrorist he had worked for Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network and James Dobson's Focus on the Family. (CBN declined to comment. Focus on the Family confirmed Saleem was an employee but would not comment further.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:10:00 am by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: September 19, 2012, 07:04:12 am »

Until I saw this, I hadn't realized how formulaic, and near-identical Romney and Obama's nomination acceptance speeches were.

The candidates spoke for an hour.  That video had them speaking for about two minutes once you cut out the background stuff and wives.  That's a minute of dialogue each.  So you are looking at less then 2% of their speeches and concluding that they are "near-identical".

What is the word used for a reflexive sense of cynicism that does not itself come under the level of skepticism and scrutiny that it inflicts on other ideas?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:05:46 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:21 am »

Cynaivete.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5500 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:39 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/esquire-yahoo-news-poll-americans-little-common-with-romney.html

Nearly all these questions in these polls favor Obama.

Exception: Who do you think Al Qaeda is more scared of? Romney has a 2% point lead.

The source of this poll is an Esquire/Yahoo! news Poll. So their relevance is highly debatable. I really wouldn't expect yahoo news polls to favor Obama considering how vocally right wing their commenting community tends to be.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:52 pm »

I don't think Al-Qaeda is particularly scared of either man. They're much too busy in Syria and Azawad these days. They've basically got another Afghanistan to themselves already that nobody's bothered to sort out, why would they care about the Americans when they've already satisfied their quest for revenge in killing Bin Laden?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: September 19, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »

al-Qaeda barely exists anymore. Most of its membership has been killed off and a lot of the people in it now are just groups calling themselves al-Qaeda affiliates for the reputation.

Mali's problems aren't being caused by al-Qaeda. The rebels are divided between secular Tuareg nationalists whom are once again trying to create an independent state by rebelling (this is like the fifth time now) and Islamists who want to take advantage of the situation to make this new state a theocracy. Both groups are having trouble working with one another due to conflicting goals. Malians are notoriously secular and moderate in their practice of Islam, and nothing angers Islamists more than that. The nation's relative adherence to democracy since the 90s is also a big abnormality in the region.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: September 19, 2012, 03:43:12 pm »

That same poll shows 74% of Americans say they have little to nothing in common withh Mitt Romney.

To be fair, 60% said the same about Obama. But still, it is an amusing thought experiment:

1. We're both Caucasian.
2. We're both male.
3. We're both carbon-based lifeforms...maybe? Still not sure about RomneyBot.
4. We both...ummm.....breathe oxygen?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:12 pm »

What MSH said. If I remember the Islamists and the Tuaregs were fighting eachother for a while, but the Islamists won, and are pretty much keeping the area under their trademark reign by terror as of now.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 714