Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717356 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7170 on: October 24, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »

Its terrible you got raped. But as compensation, now you get to look into a face almost the same as the man who did it to you every day for the rest of your life.
Also, you have to feed him and clothe him and be spit upon by fundies who think that sex out of wedlock means they should be able to stone you, even if you were fighting it the whole time.

I honestly don't have a problem with religion but some of the people who practise it make me want to take a chainsaw and shove it in their gut.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: October 24, 2012, 04:07:29 pm »

Its terrible you got raped. But as compensation, now you get to look into a face almost the same as the man who did it to you every day for the rest of your life.
Well it's hardly the kid's fault, and it'd be pretty horrible to blame them for it.

If PTSD is an issue though, there's adoption.

And of course, abortion, as that's what they were originally talking about.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »

Well it's hardly the kid's fault, and it'd be pretty horrible to blame them for it.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Except about this. Abortion, except when medically necessary, is just legitimized eugenics.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »

Eh. I wash my hands of the whole abortion thing. And I warn that we shouldn't derail this topic with a debate :P New thread or an existing one if people wanna talk about it.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7174 on: October 24, 2012, 04:16:43 pm »

Except about this. Abortion, except when medically necessary, is just legitimized eugenics.

That is a lie. No it is not. Eugenics implies a specific purpose, one that abortion does not inherently carry.

You can't really control emotions like that. It doesn't matter if the kid is "blamed" or not, it will always be there in the back of your mind.

And no, adoption is not always an option. It is not in the case of spousal rape.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: October 24, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »

No, no its not.

Eugenics is either:
Quote from: Strict Dictionary definition
eugenics
  Use Eugenics in a sentence Origin
euˇgenˇics
   [yoo-jen-iks] Show IPA
noun ( used with a singular verb )
the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, especially by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics)  or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics).

Or:
Quote from: Social movement breadly based about the concept of qugenics
ugenics is the applied science of the bio-social movement which advocates the use of practices aimed at improving the genetic composition of a population, usually a human population.[2][3] The origins of the concept began with certain interpretations of Mendelian inheritance, and the theories of August Weismann.[4]

Eugenics was a controversial concept shortly after its creation.[5] The first major challenge to conventional eugenics based upon genetic inheritance was made in 1915 by Thomas Hunt Morgan, who demonstrated the event of genetic mutation occurring outside of inheritance involving the discovery of the hatching of a fruit fly with white eyes from a family and ancestry of the red-eyed Drosophila melanogaster species of fruit fly.[6] Morgan claimed that this demonstrated that major genetic changes occurred outside of inheritance and that the concept of eugenics based upon genetic inheritance was severely flawed.[6]

Eugenics was widely popular in the early decades of the 20th century.[7] By the mid-20th century eugenics had fallen into disfavor, having become associated with Nazi-Germany. This country's approach to genetics and eugenics was focused on Eugen Fischer's concept of phenogenetics[8] and the Nazi twin study methods of Fischer and Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer. Both the public and some elements of the scientific community have associated eugenics with Nazi abuses, such as enforced "racial hygiene", human experimentation, and the extermination of "undesired" population groups.[citation needed]

Personal abortion falls into neither of those definitions, abortion policy can fall into either ones, but unless you are aborting your baby to improve the genepool or because you are poor and think poor people should be sterilized and never have babies because they are genetic losers (which is one of the things some of the proponents of eugenics actually thought), then its not engenics at all.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: October 24, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »

There comes a point where it doesn't matter if a statement was intentionally trolling or not.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: October 24, 2012, 04:24:50 pm »

No, no its not.

Eugenics is either:
eugenics
euˇgenˇics
   [yoo-jen-iks] Show IPA
the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, especially by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects1 or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits2 (negative eugenics) ...

Ok, so it only meets half the definition. The specified end is not pursued, but the actions taken are equivalent to if it was.

1 Such as down syndrome

2Such as a propensity for violence inherited from a rapist father
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:26:53 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7178 on: October 24, 2012, 04:29:01 pm »

No, no its not.

Eugenics is either:
eugenics
euˇgenˇics
   [yoo-jen-iks] Show IPA
the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, especially by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects1 or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits2 (negative eugenics) ...

Ok, so it only meets half the definition. The specified end is not pursued, but the actions taken are equivalent to if it was.

1 Such as down syndrome

2Such as a propensity for violence inherited from a rapist father

No. It does not. You clearly stated that: "Abortion, except when medically necessary, is just legitimized eugenics."
Abortion based on the personal interests of the mother does not qualify as eugenics. Therefore you lied. Period.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: October 24, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

I was going to post something about abortion, but I see that this is just going to devolve into a flamewar between Bohandas and everyone else so...

Can we all be mature and get back to talking about the election? Have any polls come out since the last Obama-Rommey debate?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: October 24, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »

And I warn that we shouldn't derail this topic with a debate :P New thread or an existing one if people wanna talk about it.

The progressive thread exists for a reason. The new topic button exists for a reason. This is waaay too controversial an issue to discuss in the general election thread.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7181 on: October 24, 2012, 04:42:06 pm »

Abortion is probably the only philosophically reasonable difference between democrats and republicans.

The difference is, I think, entirely in the definition of "human". There is agreement that not everything which is alive and which has human genes, such as cell cultures and tumors, is a human being.

I believe that there is a non-discrete but important gradient between the not-yet-human and the fully-human. Some feel that there must be a sharp dividing line, which is reasonable insomuch as subjective definitions leave uncomfortable room for later injustices. The place they often choose for this line is conception, which certainly is a momentous event and the first moment at which a specific human genome will come into existence.

The severity of this philosophical divide should not be understated. Consider those who bomb abortion clinics. While if one considers full humanity an accumulated property, rather than an inherent one, the act of violence against provisors of abortion is abhorrent. In the opposite case, it is no less reasonable than violence against someone attempting to execute random adults.

Considering this, the best way to convince someone of your position about abortion is to convince them to share your definition of humanity. Compare this to the arguments generally made for or against abortion. For, the argument is that it is the pregnant woman's choice as to what they define life to be (which, while noble-sounding, is contrary to most law's objective definitions). Against, the arguments are usually biblical, which is insufficient for the majority of Americans and contrary to the constitution.

I would very much like to ask each candidate exactly how they define a human being.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: October 24, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »

I'm one of the "strict dividing line" people but I cannot decide on where exactly to draw that line. So, I try to remain as neutral as possible, and let the cards fall where they will. No blood on my hands, that way.

My current expectation is they will eventually fall on the more liberal side.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:02 pm »

I'm one of the "strict dividing line" people but I cannot decide on where exactly to draw that line. So, I try to remain as neutral as possible, and let the cards fall where they will. No blood on my hands, that way.

My current expectation is they will eventually fall on the more liberal side.

I feel the same. I think there's a certain point where it becomes immoral to kill the fetus, once it becomes more of a live human- but since I don't know where the cutoff is, I'm not going to argue it.

I suspect that it will eventually land on the liberal side- and that's probably closer to what I think than the conservatives' "only in cases rape or incest, or for the life of the mother".
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: October 24, 2012, 05:01:51 pm »

Considering this, the best way to convince someone of your position about abortion is to convince them to share your definition of humanity. Compare this to the arguments generally made for or against abortion. For, the argument is that it is the pregnant woman's choice as to what they define life to be (which, while noble-sounding, is contrary to most law's objective definitions). Against, the arguments are usually biblical, which is insufficient for the majority of Americans and contrary to the constitution

This is very true and it's something that annoys me about discourse in pro-abortion camps. Not that they don't also talk about personhood on occasion, but the choice part dominates the conversation.  Back in Highschool when I was still against abortion my hang-up was that I considered the fetus a person and from that frame of reference all the pro-choice arguments sounded insane (because "they're killing babies!") even though I could understand why a woman wouldn't want to be forced to give birth and the inherent unfairness of it. I also know where people like Ryan and Mourduck are coming from, even though I vehemently disagree with them today. It's really a consistent position on their part and I grow tired of attempts in the media to simplify it as 'extreme' anti-abortion, as if positions are simply based on a dial and we should all seek a happy middle-ground.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 714