Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717384 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7365 on: October 27, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »

Time for some hypothetical guessing: is there any chance Hurricane Sandy could act as an October/November Surprise?

It's possible. Both Obama and Romney will end up having to reschedule/cancel some of their campaign engagements, and if the federal response is really botched if something bad happens (i.e. Katrinas it), it'll be held against Obama- but at the same time, if it goes remarkably well, he could get a boost.

And given that both Washington and Boston are on the eastern seaboard, the campaign offices might find some more-direct influence.

P.S. How come everyone here talks about the Green Party when they mention third parties? I'm more fond of the Justice Party myself, although it's even tinier.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: October 27, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »

Time for some hypothetical guessing: is there any chance Hurricane Sandy could act as an October/November Surprise?

I'm calling it: Romney blames everything that happens on Obama.

[While it's still occurring.]
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:39 pm »

It's true, us gays have been using our homosexual magic to create hurricanes. Hurricanes of love.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: October 27, 2012, 07:32:58 pm »

And then we hold orgies while all the breeders are hiding in the storm shelters.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: October 27, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »

It's true, us gays have been using our homosexual magic to create hurricanes. Hurricanes of love.

/American/Quick, send the homosexual soldiers to hostile countries. Let us kill our enemies with hurricanes. Of love./American/

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: October 27, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »

I'm gonna' go ahead and pre-emptively blame any damage that occurs on living on/near the coastline of a meteorological active ocean. It's what I do whenever a hurricane uproots a tree and lands it somewhere unpleasant down here in Florida, so... yeah. Not sure why people feel the need to blame it on something else, unless they're trying to avoid the white elephant in the discussion... [/pseudo-faked cluelessness] More seriously, any blame that's to be partitioned for disaster damages is better placed on people in the past (building construction and maintenance, preparedness, etc.) than anything reactionary, imo. Though borking things up as badly as Katrina went doesn't exactly help things, I'll give that.

Am kinda' suddenly curious, though. Any election historian buffs know if major weather stuff-things have gone down previously on or around voting periods and if there were any notable impacts 'cause of it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »

Then you'll have some guys blame it on homosexuals, then some on something equally stupid...

then you'll have a large majority blaming it on obama because, since he is the man at the top, he should have been able to coordinate the entire effort by himself!
then there'll be people blaming it on plain old bad luck/the government in general.

But political stupidity goes both ways... you'll probably find your [albeit small] share of arch-liberals claiming Romney paid a billion dollars to some Central American government to send up a hurricane and sabotage Obama.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: October 27, 2012, 07:51:54 pm »

Then you'll have some guys blame it on homosexuals, then some on something equally stupid...

then you'll have a large majority blaming it on obama because, since he is the man at the top, he should have been able to coordinate the entire effort by himself!
then there'll be people blaming it on plain old bad luck/the government in general.

But political stupidity goes both ways... you'll probably find your [albeit small] share of arch-liberals claiming Romney paid a billion dollars to some Central American government to send up a hurricane and sabotage Obama.

False equivalence much?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: October 27, 2012, 08:00:32 pm »

False equivalence much?

Of course it's false equivalence! But that's acceptable when you're joking about an equally fallacious claim.

I don't know if anyone caught my slight bit of sarcasm there.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: October 27, 2012, 08:01:35 pm »

SealyStar: Of course not, it's the Internet. See Poe's Law. :P

About the political parties: I looked at the wikipedia articles on just about all of them. The Green Party appealed to me the most; It helps that they're not a party which only exists in one state. From what I can see from Wikipedia, they have the most ballot access out of all the third-parties in the US, and I like Jill Stein's platform: http://www.jillstein.org/issues

It helps that there's also no chance of my vote throwing the state to Romney (unless something spectacularly unexpected happens).

About the storm:
If you look at (non-fox?) news, you'll see reporting that stronger and deadlier storms have been expected as a result of climate change. You'll also see Governers already making plans, doing things (including Republican Governors) to prepare, and in some cases even pre-emptively declaring states of emergency, and power companies preparing as well. A lot of it is going to come down to roads being cleaned up and power companies having their shit in order to get any damaged infrastructure (what with our power lines all being above ground) fixed as soon as possible. Which, judging by precedent, may be up to 2 weeks after the hurricane leaves, or more due to it hitting a larger area than past disasters - unless they've really improved their numbers, amount of equipment, and time needed to get stuff working again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:03:13 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: October 27, 2012, 08:18:53 pm »

The radio says that stuff up in the New England area is better prepared.  They've already been bit by Irene... and Irene was weaker I think?

Governors/Utility Companies are going to get their arses chewed if their emergency response plan does not pull through, especially since they have some experience and expectations as to what could go wrong under their belt.

What could the President/Obama do anyways?  Other then send in some sort of federal aid and declare some kind of emergency or some such?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:43 pm »

Obama has control over FEMA if I remember correctly.

But FEMA also possesses the ability to enact an emergency situation, suspend the Constitution, and place the nation under martial law, so Obama might not want to remind people of that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: October 27, 2012, 08:59:36 pm »

Obama has control over FEMA if I remember correctly.

But FEMA also possesses the ability to enact an emergency situation, suspend the Constitution, and place the nation under martial law, so Obama might not want to remind people of that.

The FEMA camps! THE FEMA CAMPS!

I guess FEMA is doing a great job censoring the web, as the only records I have about their ability to declare martial law exist on black-background websites with all-white text that haven't been updated since 1997 [basically... you know what I mean]. While martial law is a threat in the US nowdays [coughNDAA2012cough], I don't think FEMA would be the agency responsible for such a declaration.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: October 27, 2012, 09:01:23 pm »

The camps are a stupid conspiracy theory, but the martial law thing isn't. They've just never used it and probably never will. Someone posted the law in question some time ago, but I don't have the will to go looking right now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: October 28, 2012, 12:20:27 am »

And say that any errors in reporting, no matter how trivial, made by The Weather Channel (owned by Bain Capital) were deliberate.

Ultimately though, the best way for Obama to spin this hurricane if it does a lot of damage is to blame the severity of the storm on global climate change.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 714