Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717496 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7470 on: October 30, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »

I still have no fucking idea where Peoria is.

It's one of the larger cities in Illinois.  No, I didn't look that up.

There's also a Peoria, Arizona, that no one cares about... I went to school there.

And I've never heard of "Spic[k]" coming from "Hispanic". I always heard the "No espick englis" explanation.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: October 30, 2012, 02:26:16 pm »

Wetback refers mostly to the fact that the Rio Grande river runs along a large swath of the US-Mexican border. Hence the notion that any illegal immigrants had to swim across the river.

Used to be more true, because the idea of going through the Sonora Desert instead was insane. The slur for Italians was (don't hear it used much anymore) "dago", which is apparently an old slur for Spaniards, being a corruption of "Diego". No idea how that got transferred to Italians.

There are other slurs for Italians, like wops, greaseballs and eye-ties. The only slur out of those that was used in Scotland to my knowledge was eye-tie.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: October 30, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »

Also fits in the storm and WTF threads, but...
Bush’s FEMA Director During Katrina Criticizes Obama For Responding To Sandy Too Quickly

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: October 30, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »

Clearly now presidents must throw up a wall of psychic force BEFORE a storm surge hits, to meet their obligations.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: October 30, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »

Bush’s FEMA Director During Katrina Criticizes Obama For Responding To Sandy Too Quickly
Translation:

"WAAA! Stop making me look bad!"
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: October 30, 2012, 02:51:46 pm »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: October 30, 2012, 03:01:26 pm »

Why doesn't Mittens do something useful with his money for once and throw 100 million or so at the recovery effort?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: October 30, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »

Because that would openly contradict his philosophy about what should be done for those in need.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: October 30, 2012, 03:04:28 pm »

Also a dollar for hurricane relief is a dollar for FEMA death camps.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: October 30, 2012, 03:07:30 pm »

Because that would openly contradict his philosophy about what should be done for those in need.

Seems to be like it'd be... exactly what his social philosophy is, that one we hear all about when he talks about how things should be. The poor and the needy getting help from super-rich Americans [only when they really need it (aka when people are looking)] on their (the rich's) own free will since the government sucks at it [providing help].

Of course; I know he doesn't give a damn about helping anyone but himself. I'm just saying it'd be putting his money in his mouth so-to-speak.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: October 30, 2012, 03:12:02 pm »

URGE TO KILL....RISING.....RISING!!!

EDIT: Also, it speaks volumes that before clicking the link, I assumed it led to an Onion article. Because seriously?? Christ, what an asshole.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: October 30, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »

EDIT: Also, it speaks volumes that before clicking the link, I assumed it led to an Onion article. Because seriously?? Christ, what an asshole.

I really wish that I had thought the same thing. I suppose my cynicism about that administration still hasn't bottomed out quite yet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: October 30, 2012, 03:54:27 pm »

I really wish that I had thought the same thing. I suppose my cynicism about that administration still hasn't bottomed out quite yet.
By Jah... this guy is just airing his own incompetence for everyone to see ain't he?  I hope the media takes this and runs with it.  A marathon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: October 30, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »

I love how he compares a storm effecting millions of Americans as being on the same level as an attack on an embassy halfway around the world as if they're the same level of event. Um...not really, guy. One is a huge disaster that's causing billions in damages. The other was a tragic loss of life, including a prominent diplomat, but hardly counts as a national disaster.

I really don't see the President treating this storm more urgently as being anything other than sound prioritization. Yes, of course, it's right near the election and he'd be an idiot for doing anything else. But that doesn't make it the wrong thing to do or even completely politically motivated.

Not that it matters, since the hard right would be just as happy to condemn him for doing anything less.

I hate politicians. And political pundits. Maybe the pundits more, since they do even less for the country than politicians.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: October 30, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »

Translation: "How dare he do his job just before an election?! We were counting on him to fuck it up like we did!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 714