Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717500 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9120 on: November 09, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: November 09, 2012, 04:13:54 pm »

Oh, I can't wait to see what Alex Jones says about this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: November 09, 2012, 04:15:45 pm »

That has to be one of the most ridiculous excuses for resignation ever.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: November 09, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

Petraeus 2016, perhaps?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: November 09, 2012, 04:20:06 pm »

GreatJustice I'm sure that nobody wants to hear us prattle on about economics, but if you want to take this into another thread I guess that I'll follow you. However you're not going to get a better answer for 1920-1928 besides "A huge-ass bubble burst and nothing could stop it from bursting."

Well, he is the director of the CIA. Who knows what juicy secrets he could give up on the pillow?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: November 09, 2012, 04:22:51 pm »

Oh, I can't wait to see what Alex Jones says about this.

Fearmongering!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: November 09, 2012, 04:23:43 pm »

Petraeus 2016, perhaps?

Possibly... although there was also speculation about him running in 2012, and furthermore I think this kind of incident would damage his chances for any future political involvement.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: November 09, 2012, 04:25:20 pm »

Petraeus 2016, perhaps?

Possibly... although there was also speculation about him running in 2012, and furthermore I think this kind of incident would damage his chances for any future political involvement.
After Newt Gingrich?
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: November 09, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »

Not really. Having an affair (and being found out) can pretty much destroy your intelligence clearance, because of the potential for blackmail. You don't get much higher clearance than the director of the CIA. Plus, from what I know of him (secondhand from a few friends/colleagues that have met the man), Petraeus is a good guy. If anything, he was probably holding this until after the election to keep it from becoming a problem for the administration before the election.

As much as I'd kind of hope for a Petraeus run in 2016, I don't see it. Everything I've ever read about the man says he has no aspirations to political office.

It's a damn shame. I thought he was our brightest general in the field in Iraq, and then in Afghanistan, and I liked him a hell of a lot better as CIA Director than I did Leon Panetta. I was hoping maybe Petraeus would become SecDef second term, but I guess not.  :(

EDIT: Gaaaah, and already hundreds of dumbasses all over the Internet are screaming "It's all about Benghazi!". As if the Director of the fucking CIA is going to make up having an affair in his resignation, to "cover-up" a relatively minor event. If this was a forced resignation (or even a voluntary one over some internal political conflict), it'd have been the standard "spend more time with the wife and kids".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:45:19 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: November 09, 2012, 05:53:54 pm »

Well, he is the director of the CIA. Who knows what juicy secrets he could give up on the pillow?

*Unf* We *unf* killed *whispers gently*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:33 pm »

The best part is that the CIA having killed Tupac would be way more of a controversy than if the Benghazi conspiracy theory was true.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: November 09, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »

I support Petraeus for everything. That is one awesome name.

Unfortunately, it's also a villain's name. So I also asupport him for everything.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: November 09, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »

Hey, just look what else the general public doesn't care about - planning for the war in Iraq having begun in 2000 (!), all that jazz in southern America, politicians calling science "lies straight from the pits of hell" (only in Texas :D ) , ...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: November 09, 2012, 07:09:08 pm »

I support Petraeus for everything. That is one awesome name.

Unfortunately, it's also a villain's name. So I also asupport him for everything.

No, no, you're thinking of General Betrayus.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: November 09, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/darwin-gets-4-000-write-votes-against-ga-232412954--election.html

Charles Darwin, the long dead biologist, won over 4000 write in votes in the the uncontested election of Paul Broun, who is notable for calling science "lies straight from the pit of hell" and for being on the House of Representatives Science Committee.

That thing is an idiot, plain and simple. How on earth does something like that get a position on the Science Committee?

http://news.yahoo.com/next-bush-makes-campaign-filing-texas-041025927.html

A new George Bush has decided to enter politics.

George Bush V3? Where are they all comming from?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 714