Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717390 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9690 on: November 19, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »

You're right. They would have to nuke a lot more than just Washington before we'd be good.

Advocating the deaths of tens of millions of Americans is hilarious.  Please keep contributing to this conversation.

Here in Belgium, we had no real government for over a year, and we did just fine. Of course, we don't have the kind of responsability that the US do, but still it's amazing how little input the bureaucracy doing the day-to-day running of the country need.

I was under the impression that Belgium just keeps continuing with the budget course laid out by the last government majority because no one can put together a coalition.  If this is the case it's nearly the exact same thing that the US has been doing for two years with the exception that three times a year the republicans throw a tantrum until the democrats agree to screw over the poor a little more.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:35 pm »

You're right. They would have to nuke a lot more than just Washington before we'd be good.

Advocating the deaths of tens of millions of Americans is hilarious.  Please keep contributing to this conversation.

Here in Belgium, we had no real government for over a year, and we did just fine. Of course, we don't have the kind of responsability that the US do, but still it's amazing how little input the bureaucracy doing the day-to-day running of the country need.

I was under the impression that Belgium just keeps continuing with the budget course laid out by the last government majority because no one can put together a coalition.  If this is the case it's nearly the exact same thing that the US has been doing for two years with the exception that three times a year the republicans throw a tantrum until the democrats agree to screw over the poor a little more.
That's certainly not the same as a government shutdown, that's when the bureaucracy can no longer afford itself. Complete and utter spiral. Only Local Governemtns exist. Wait a minute...

We need to stop this to defeat the libertarians. It's a fiendish plot! Think about it, who advocates the most for not rasing the debt ceiling? Libertarians! And who would get what they always wanted without a government? Libertarians! Fiends.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9692 on: November 19, 2012, 05:58:47 pm »

One advantage of the US political system is that even if the federal government was crippled, the country as a whole would continue functioning because each state has its own government to step in and keep things going. Yes, lots of areas would have issues, but it wouldn't be the end of the country or anything. Especially since the Military would be able to continue functioning just fine even if the Pentagon was wiped out. They have lots of contingencies in place for that sort of thing.
The american military is a snake with no head, just fangs, scales and assholes.

Lots and lots of assholes.

You would make a really awesome character in an apocalypse movie.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: November 19, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »

Tax collection is done by the bureaucracy, not the government.

Asking that is no different to asking if we had no government, how would we catch criminals or put out fires, whilst all those are "government agencies", not one of them requires the legislature or executive for day to day operations.
The collection is mandated by the government.  Otherwise it's called stealing (or bribary). 

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: November 19, 2012, 07:57:20 pm »

Tax collection is done by the bureaucracy, not the government.

Asking that is no different to asking if we had no government, how would we catch criminals or put out fires, whilst all those are "government agencies", not one of them requires the legislature or executive for day to day operations.
The collection is mandated by the government.  Otherwise it's called stealing (or bribary).
*puts on 18th century philosophy cap*
Well you see, It's all about legitamacy! Without a mandate of the masses, the bureaucracy is simply a organization of random people demanding money in return for unspecified services. With a mandate from the government, and by extension, the people, they cross the oborder from benevolent mafiosa to a actual governmental system. Without this, challanges in court regarding the legitamacy of the bureaucracy may actually get somewhere, as it does not represent the will of the masses.

Firthermore, in various areas in this ages of Auserity, many programs run low on cash. Without governmental intereference, these organizations, a american example being the postal service, woudl quickly cease to exist.

If you did not read this in the Voice of the Sir Bedevere of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, you missed a good bet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:03:12 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: November 19, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »

Did you forget to add something there? I didn't notice a comical fix, if that's what you were going for.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: November 20, 2012, 04:54:01 am »

That's certainly not the same as a government shutdown, that's when the bureaucracy can no longer afford itself. Complete and utter spiral. Only Local Governemtns exist. Wait a minute...

We need to stop this to defeat the libertarians. It's a fiendish plot! Think about it, who advocates the most for not rasing the debt ceiling? Libertarians! And who would get what they always wanted without a government? Libertarians! Fiends.

Unless this was purely humor, you're a bit behind on this.  "Starving the Beast" has been a known political strategy for decades, and multiple former republican insiders over the last few years have verified that these days they talk quite plainly about it in terms of deliberate sabotage in exclusive company.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: November 20, 2012, 07:36:06 pm »

Even with the government, it's stealing. Benevolent stealing, that is ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: November 20, 2012, 07:43:37 pm »

Even with the government, it's stealing. Benevolent stealing, that is ;)
Technically it's blackmail.

"Oh, what's that? You want publicly-accessible roads, police and fire protection, schools for your children, and the right to a public trial? Pay up, son. Otherwise you can GTFO."

:P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:53 pm »

Technically it's blackmail.
Whatever morality may say - at the end of the day, might makes right.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #9700 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »

The thread, it still lives!

Also, this election sort of gave me a game idea: sort of a Heroes of Might and Magic, except with political parties as factions.
Conservatives: Hateromancy.  Gain bonuses / fear power from destroying technology.  Little to no upkeep but units get sick and die depending on conditions.  Get bonus magic if you have large hordes of units, or if enemy is higher tech.
Liberals: Democramancy (raise dead, but you gotta pay for their healthcare!).  Upkeep on units gets higher the longer they are alive, but they also gain experience slightly faster and have higher health. Large negative cash when conquering enemy cities due to having to implement healthcare, but gain recruitment after the first few turns.
Libertarians: Anarchomancy (cause CHAOS fuck yea!): No gold reservoir, there is only income and expenditure (if you don't use it the same turn, companies get the rest as bonuses).  Gain more by expansion and digging/desecrating land. Cities can randomly produce units of other sides, and even when captured can still produce goods for the chaos player for awhile (go go free market).

This would probably be horrible, but still made me wonder how far you could take the archetypes in the name of gameplay/parody.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: November 21, 2012, 03:00:35 am »

I thought the Libertarians would be the independent AI, just sort of having stuff happen with no real centralized control. (They always get steamrolled early in the game, too  ;D)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: November 21, 2012, 08:35:56 am »

Unless! You stab your friend in the back early because he's building a nuke farm, and your blow isn't decisive and his counter-attack is stalled by your defensive wall. The computer then has time to harvest the resources inbetween while you ground your forces into nothing because your friend fails to lay down and die for the sake of killing the computer. Then your resources are depleted and forces weak without the ability to overwhelm the disorganized AI anymore. Then attrition eats away your defenses and the Artificial takes the victory!
Disorganization can sometimes win.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: November 21, 2012, 08:36:38 am »

Unless! You stab your friend in the back early because he's building a nuke farm, and your blow isn't decisive and his counter-attack is stalled by your defensive wall. The computer then has time to harvest the resources inbetween while you ground your forces into nothing because your friend fails to lay down and die for the sake of killing the computer. Then your resources are depleted and forces weak without the ability to overwhelm the disorganized AI anymore. Then attrition eats away your defenses and the Artificial takes the victory!
Disorganization can sometimes win.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: November 21, 2012, 10:17:33 am »

They say that when two sides fight, the third side wins.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 714