Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720802 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10290 on: December 12, 2012, 12:55:51 am »

So who are we looking at as an early lineup for the GOP? Because I'm too burned out on electoral wankery to keep up with campaign 2016.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: December 12, 2012, 01:01:01 am »

So who are we looking at as an early lineup for the GOP? Because I'm too burned out on electoral wankery to keep up with campaign 2016.

I'm guessing the only real candidates they have are Jeb Bush and Chris Christie. They could try a Marc Rubio or Bobby Jindal but I'm doubtful they'd win the primaries once the Republican base realizes their only chance of getting a president into office rests with the former pair.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: December 12, 2012, 01:12:16 am »

Jeb, huh... what's he got going for 'im, exactly?

I'm definitely a little biased when it comes to that guy (Floridian and a teacher parent, and insofar as I can tell pretty much every teacher in florida hates JB's guts. Only minor exaggeration, there.), so having an outside view of what he's got going for 'im would be illuminating.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: December 12, 2012, 01:14:11 am »

I'm guessing the only real candidates they have are Jeb Bush and Chris Christie. They could try a Marc Rubio or Bobby Jindal but I'm doubtful they'd win the primaries once the Republican base realizes their only chance of getting a president into office rests with the former pair.
Bush has a tainted family name amongst both the Republicans and the Democrats, Christie is a refreshingly moderate and practical Republican....which makes him a traitor in the eyes of the party leadership.

Jindal is conservative and party loyal enough for them, so I'd consider him a possibility.

And then there's Santorum, whom I pray will get the 2016 nomination because he is so batshit that there is no way in hell he could ever come close to winning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10294 on: December 12, 2012, 01:28:27 am »

What about the GOP's favorite ladies, Bachmann and Palin? Think they've got a shot?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: December 12, 2012, 01:30:11 am »

Palin is far too happy with her golden parachute to go back into politics.  Running for president requires a lot of work.  Bachman will probably take a shot but will probably not amount to much.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: December 12, 2012, 01:32:15 am »

Shame. Either one of those would have been almost as good as Santorum getting the nomination.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:30 am »

What about the GOP's favorite ladies, Bachmann and Palin? Think they've got a shot?
Not really. For one thing, the GOP does not have the best record with gender egalitarianism. Even if it isn't explicit, I think they'd be biased against a female candidate. Palin is a walking media disaster, but unlike Who The Hell Is Joe Biden her antics are facepalm worthy instead of amusing. Bachmann is a psycho anti-vaxxer who wants to nuke Iran. She can't survive in the mainstream. Hell, she can barely survive in an extremely conservative area of Minnesota. She only kept her seat this election by 4298 votes.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:38:08 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:43 am »

Bush has a tainted family name amongst both the Republicans and the Democrats, Christie is a refreshingly moderate and practical Republican....which makes him a traitor in the eyes of the party leadership.

Republicans are quick to distance themselves from GW's presidency but the libertarian-leaning ones who actually hold Bush accountable are very slim compared to those who still think he had the right idea but distance themselves from political poison. The Democrats/Independents who might be swayed will do so because it's incredibly doubtful the moderate mind wouldn't give Jeb a chance just because of his family relation, especially if they didn't really mind Bush Senior's term.

And Christie's "moderate" status is exactly what he's got going for him. Think about the last few elections in the Republican primaries. McCain was seen as a liberal-leaning senator, a maverick. He got the nomination. Romney was a blue state governor (just like Christie will be) known for his somewhat liberal legislation. See Romneycare. He also got the nomination. This is because despite all the hand-wringing a Republican base might do, they ultimately recognize that they need to actually get their candidate elected into office and that requires winning the general election. Those who are still recalcitrant can be won over enough during the far-right pandering of primaries.

EDIT: Because I forgot, but Christie also has a large degree of charisma. Maybe not an 18 but it's pretty up there.

Jeb, huh... what's he got going for 'im, exactly?

I'm definitely a little biased when it comes to that guy (Floridian and a teacher parent, and insofar as I can tell pretty much every teacher in florida hates JB's guts. Only minor exaggeration, there.), so having an outside view of what he's got going for 'im would be illuminating.

As an anti-Republican, I'm not really sure what people see in him besides being a strong establishment candidate, even if he's not nearly as strong as Hillary in that department. I just see him mostly pushed forward because he's got a somewhat friendly history towards immigration (which the GOP believes will help them close the Latino vote) and more moderate, providing a face of "compassionate conservatism" which the party desperately needs to put forward after this latest shellacking.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:43:54 am by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: December 12, 2012, 01:39:41 am »

Not really. For one thing, the GOP does not have the best record with gender egalitarianism. Even if it isn't explicit, I think they'd be biased against a female candidate. Palin is a walking media disaster, but unlike Who The Hell Is Joe Biden her antics are facepalm worthy instead of amusing. Bachmann is a psycho anti-vaxxer who wants to nuke Iran. She can't survive in the mainstream. Hell, she can barely survive in rural Minnesota. She only kept her seat this election by 4298 votes.
What, and Santorum was the reincarnation of Gandhi? Let's not forget his record on gay rights and wonderful theocracy he wants the US to be. He was an idiot before the election and only seems to be getting worse.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: December 12, 2012, 01:46:15 am »

Republicans are quick to distance themselves from GW's presidency but the libertarian-leaning ones who actually hold Bush accountable are very slim compared to those who still think he had the right idea but distance themselves from political poison.
That isn't actually what I meant. A lot of the GOP, most strongly the Tea Party, see Bush Jr....as a RINO.

Yes, I know, but they do.
And Christie's "moderate" status is exactly what he's got going for him. Think about the last few elections in the Republican primaries. McCain was seen as a liberal-leaning senator, a maverick. He got the nomination. Romney was a blue state governor (just like Christie will be) known for his somewhat liberal legislation. See Romneycare. He also got the nomination. This is because despite all the hand-wringing a Republican base might do, they ultimately recognize that they need to actually get their candidate elected into office and that requires winning the general election. Those who are still recalcitrant can be won over enough during the far-right pandering of primaries.
And we all saw how well that went for Romney. Fact is, the party leadership will never allow a moderate Republican to have the nomination for anything less than going full-tilt far-right and worshiping the altar of God, Guns, and Gays. It's a losing strategy, but there are few within the party who want to abandon it.

Anyway, Romney's moderate cred was all the way back in the 90's, for the most part. Christie got called out by the GOP just now. I think it's too soon for people to forget his positions when they get replaced by the party line. His shift will be even more obvious than Romney's was.
As an anti-Republican, I'm not really sure what people see in him besides being a strong establishment candidate, even if he's not nearly as strong as Hillary in that department. I just see him mostly pushed forward because he's got a somewhat friendly history towards immigration (which the GOP believes will help them close the Latino vote) and more moderate, providing a face of "compassionate conservatism" which the party desperately needs to put forward after this latest shellacking.
The GOP's beliefs about the Latino vote are kind of hilarious, and this election has been a very interesting demographic ground for the Latino vote. Before this, most analysts kind of lazily saw the Latino vote as a carbon copy of the Black vote with immigration sympathies: socially conservative, fiscally liberal.

Then this election came along, and now we know quite clearly that Latinos are actually a socially liberal demographic. And you know how skilled the GOP is at swaying those social liberals. Yep, so many social liberals vote Republican. So many.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:48:04 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: December 12, 2012, 01:55:54 am »

It's pretty saddening that parties pick candidates who could get elected, rather than candidates who should get elected. Can we have a meritocracy? Please?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: December 12, 2012, 01:57:26 am »

...Huntsman? No chance?
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: December 12, 2012, 01:59:11 am »

It's pretty saddening that parties pick candidates who could get elected, rather than candidates who should get elected. Can we have a meritocracy? Please?

Democracy is the least meritocratic form of government except for all other forms of government that have ever been tried.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: December 12, 2012, 03:34:31 am »

What, and Santorum was the reincarnation of Gandhi? Let's not forget his record on gay rights and wonderful theocracy he wants the US to be. He was an idiot before the election and only seems to be getting worse.
Remember, Santorum wasn't even close to becoming President.

I think Huntsman stands a pretty good chance if he ran again. I wish he'd done better this time around, but I suppose he hadn't the name recognition.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 714