Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1279167 times)

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #1530 on: November 09, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »

That's damn cool. How expensive is a home forge/metalwork to set up? I've always been really interested in metalworking.

A coal forge will probably cost you around $50 if you're willing to construct it yourself. Mine is made out of a semi break-drum, a small grill at the bottom, a few plumbing parts and an automotive heater fan. I use anthracite which runs me about $8 for a 50lb bag.

The raw materials for mokume can be virtually anything, copper and iron are a big nono though, since they are reactive to each other but pretty much every other nonferrous metal is good even more exotic metals such as titanium or blue bronze (good luck finding any). Some metals also require very precise environments for them to bond making some of the more fanciful combinations impossible without something like a vacuum sealed induction forge, like aluminum. If you plan on making any in a coal forge fluxing the edges is probably a good idea, not the center as that might trap some flux when you hammer.

more mokume gane for your viewing pleasure (these were made with a 3 to 1 ratio of pre-1982 pennies to nickels)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: November 09, 2013, 07:43:47 pm »

Ugh beautiful. That last one looks like abalone shell to me. How quickly do you run through that 50 lb bag of coal?

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 09, 2013, 07:49:19 pm »

Ugh beautiful. That last one looks like abalone shell to me. How quickly do you run through that 50 lb bag of coal?

It depends on what I'm doing, lots of small stuff lets me run the forge cooler, but if i'm forge welding or working with something larger than an inch I use much more. I'd say a bag on average gives me about 24 hours worth of forge time, a propane tank (like the kind used with a grill) gives me about 10. Both are useful for different things.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 11, 2013, 03:06:37 am »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 11, 2013, 03:37:28 am »

It depends on what I'm doing, lots of small stuff lets me run the forge cooler, but if i'm forge welding or working with something larger than an inch I use much more. I'd say a bag on average gives me about 24 hours worth of forge time, a propane tank (like the kind used with a grill) gives me about 10. Both are useful for different things.

Can... Can I get a few pictures of your setup if it's not too much to ask? This has always reealllyy interested me and I'd like to learn a little more.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 11, 2013, 01:58:47 pm »

Can... Can I get a few pictures of your setup if it's not too much to ask? This has always reealllyy interested me and I'd like to learn a little more.

+1. Fascinated with the prospect of DIY shinies.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50:24 am »

I woke up one day thinking about stock photos

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:57 am »

I know, right?

But seriously. Buying photos of smiling people to adorn your business even though the photos are completely unrelated to what you do is truly a strange concept when you think about it. Was that what you were trying to express?
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 12, 2013, 12:26:08 pm »

~snip~

I find this so amusing. Thank you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 12, 2013, 07:26:46 pm »

I'd also be interested.

Also, this isn't quite the same, but it might interest you all the same, Pufferfish. A guy makes a small forge out of a soup can, some plaster-stuff and a blowtorch, and uses that to make a knife. I'd liek to try something like that myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVa2bw3r_k   : making the soupcan forge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_teUu22sGQ  : making the knife
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1540 on: November 12, 2013, 08:47:36 pm »

introducing the kingest lizard i have ever drawn

wow

Also, fancy thing i've discovered about my own artings: If i draw the eyes first, the rest of the head comes MUCH easier. I did that with this guy; drew the visible eye first, and then i could just like immediately visualize the rest of the head and draw it without doing any construction. It also went unusually well compared to most other things i draw without constructing.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 12, 2013, 08:53:55 pm »

I know, right?

But seriously. Buying photos of smiling people to adorn your business even though the photos are completely unrelated to what you do is truly a strange concept when you think about it. Was that what you were trying to express?

it's that, and there are just a lot of stock photos that I can't imagine anybody would ever use, lots of bizarre images that will never have context. I thought it'd be fun to take a few of them and make them look weird + spooky.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 12, 2013, 09:28:14 pm »

I'd also be interested.

Also, this isn't quite the same, but it might interest you all the same, Pufferfish. A guy makes a small forge out of a soup can, some plaster-stuff and a blowtorch, and uses that to make a knife. I'd liek to try something like that myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVa2bw3r_k   : making the soupcan forge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_teUu22sGQ  : making the knife
Aw, you beat me to it. I remembered watching that video a while ago today at school (why, I'll never know). If I was truly more interested in metal working than I am, I would try to make one. Seeing other people's stuff is the next best thing.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1543 on: November 15, 2013, 03:54:56 pm »

getting my paint mojo on

B|
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: November 15, 2013, 05:54:21 pm »

AUGH scary! But really well made :0
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 845