Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282630 times)

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #1950 on: March 09, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

Sorry for the double post in advance.

Anyway, I tried to give my pixel-art skills a go and tried to make some sort of map layout sketch in relation to my previous sketches here, which started off pretty fine but later on just turned into a massive fragmenting and blurring spree. :P

I used a self-made grid when making that, and I'm satisfied with the results, mostly.

It could use more detial, and I see I made many mistakes (the exterior part looks atrocious, I know), but I'm too lazy to go and fix them.
Also a 200% version.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At worst I could turn this into a Gang Garrison 2 map or something...

Huh wow. How long did it take you to do that?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 09, 2014, 12:57:17 pm »

A few hours, maybe.
But I was doing it rather slowly, so...

Plus Paint.NET had a few handy brushes (did you expect me to paint all those bricks myself? Pfft.)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 09, 2014, 03:40:23 pm »

Alright, more randomness for unnamed mutants game! (I really need to find a name for it and possibly organize all my stuff into a seperate thread, any ideas?)

I found some pretty decent pixel artsy designs for all 3 races (the bird ones were pain in the ass to get right though, but ultimately I went with Rambo storks - come on, everyone knows that storks are the most badass birds in the universe), using a slightly edited version of my previous map. (pretty heavily edited, actually, but it looks way cooler and has that post-apocalyptic theme going for it now)

This is 600% zoomed in. Shows how fine pixel art this really is.

Also I just noticed that essentially you now have storks eating frogs. Coincidence, I think not.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: March 09, 2014, 03:50:04 pm »

I also made pixel art (400% size), showing City Loser, Country Loser, Country Loser with Shotgun, and Country Loser with Pistol.

I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 09, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »

I also made pixel art (400% size), showing City Loser, Country Loser, Country Loser with Shotgun, and Country Loser with Pistol.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 09, 2014, 03:54:48 pm »

They have proportionally huge heads, thick bodies, and short legs, and the one proportional distortion you pick out to critique is the relative length of their arms?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: March 09, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »

They have proportionally huge heads, thick bodies, and short legs, and the one proportional distortion you pick out to critique is the relative length of their arms?

Yes, because it's more striking than all of the others - the other things you mention are fairly standard to amateur pixel art characters.

No need to be defensive. Constructive critique is good because there's other people not saying it who are thinking it. Always.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 09, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »

They're meant to be kind of cartoonish - you expect realistic depictions of stereotyped characters introduced as "city loser" and "country loser", the latter of whom is wearing overalls and a wife beater while smoking a cigarette and holding various firearms?

But anyway, I guess you have a point. It's an easy change.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: March 09, 2014, 04:09:51 pm »

If you follow a model, you create expectations in the viewers' mind. For a cartoonish human, with an otherwise properly proportioned body (excepting small deviations like thick chest and large head), your average viewer is still going to expect Vitruvian Compliance. This is not just for you but for anyone interested in doing pixel art. It's a good thing to understand.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: March 09, 2014, 04:11:05 pm »

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice, I suppose.

Also, I just realized the Pistol Hick is missing his left shoulder anyway.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: March 09, 2014, 04:17:46 pm »

Also he looks kinda weird with this left arm just being perfectly straight like that...
Also not to sound like an attention whore, but anyone mind commenting on my works?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:56 pm »

Your map is awesome. Ever been to the cartographer's guild forums?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 09, 2014, 04:25:57 pm »

I've been trying to improve the Losers. I tried to make a girlfriend for City Loser (so he could be City Slightly-Less-Loser), but trying to do female proportions with that scale of pixel art is hard, because one pixel on or off is pretty much the difference between a boxy masculine shape and an uncanny wasp waist.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 09, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »

Huh?
No, I haven't, though I might at one point.

Speaking of that map, a bit of fiddling got me a bit more awesome and more atmospheric version (if only from a desert during daytime it turned into nighttime winter), which you could see in the character group shot.

Also, making weapons on this scale is hard. Either that or I can't draw SMGs.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:31:29 pm by DarkDXZ »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »

Here's a random thing I made for a game I will soon be running. Advice on how to be less bad at pixelart would be greatly appreciated.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 845