Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282949 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #1965 on: March 10, 2014, 09:27:32 pm »

I'm not exactly an artist, but it's pretty good. The only real change I can think of is giving a bit more definition to the hand by making a black line where the thumb meets the rest of the hand.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 10, 2014, 10:18:01 pm »

Here's a random thing I made for a game I will soon be running. Advice on how to be less bad at pixelart would be greatly appreciated.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder what the chat window layout is inspired by? :P

No, but really, that looks fine. Maybe you could widen out his chest near the top or at least give him a beer gut to even out the biceps.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1967 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:39 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAA hi there's one thing i would like to point out re: pixel art

Be careful with outlines like that. In a few cases you'll need to do like that, but those cases are usually limited to single pixels on small sprites (yours could be one, for example on the inside of the fist). Allow me to illustrate what i mean:

If you hypothetically were to alternate colours for each "line" in a curve, they shouldn't border up to each other like on the left, unless it's a special case (read: sharp corner, blocky shapes...). It looks a lot more smooth when you make the outline as thin as you can, like on the right.

Also, as freeform said, i'd expect a troll to have a thicker torso, possibly a beer belly, especially since he's threatening to eat me. :U

Also also, one last thing:

In other words, bigger difference in light value between light, midtone and shadow! It feels odd at first, but trust me, it looks better. If you look at things in reality, you'll also notice fairly significant jumps in brightness when going from light to shadow.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 11, 2014, 09:16:34 pm »

I drew a...Er...I guess I'll call it a thing.

I have no idea what it is. All I know is I wanted it to be vaguely threatening. Despite that, I still find it adorable. Probably doesn't help that I made it a literal puffball.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 12, 2014, 07:02:40 pm »

Here's a random thing I made for a game I will soon be running. Advice on how to be less bad at pixelart would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder what the chat window layout is inspired by? :P
Yeah, I wonder too... On an entirely separate topic, I hear that there's this one forum game called the Warrens of Oric the Awesome. I think you should check it out. [/deadpan sarcasm]

I drew a...Er...I guess I'll call it a thing.

I have no idea what it is. All I know is I wanted it to be vaguely threatening. Despite that, I still find it adorable. Probably doesn't help that I made it a literal puffball.
This reminds me of a chainchomp, except different colors and it has ears and not a chain for a tail... So it's like a chainchomp, but different.
Now that I think of it, lots of things are like that.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 13, 2014, 06:31:56 pm »

Character for a game I had in my head. Probably never going to make it, but I like the drawing. I'm not too great at making distinctive characters, but I think I did an alright job with this 'un. Might do the other characters later. They're all based around primary colors (Since the game would be almost limbo-level desaturated and the colors would help add distinction).
Betcha can't tell it was meant to be a she. She's meant to be wearing multiple layers of clothing and a hood though, and basically everyone looks the same under those.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 13, 2014, 07:30:33 pm »

Character for a game I had in my head. Probably never going to make it, but I like the drawing. I'm not too great at making distinctive characters, but I think I did an alright job with this 'un. Might do the other characters later. They're all based around primary colors (Since the game would be almost limbo-level desaturated and the colors would help add distinction).
Betcha can't tell it was meant to be a she. She's meant to be wearing multiple layers of clothing and a hood though, and basically everyone looks the same under those.
She has really short legs.

Looks cool, though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:16:35 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 13, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »

Yeah, I tend to make oddly proportioned torso/leg things (See: my avatar). Now that I think of it, I'll have to adjust it in the next draft. Funfact: this is the second character on which I've done multiple drafts.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 13, 2014, 08:54:45 pm »

The Warrior, the Paladin and the Thief basic designs for my game. I love pixelly styles, so...

Critise it, I need to get better!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:05 pm »

The Warrior, the Paladin and the Thief basic designs for my game. I love pixelly styles, so...

Critise it, I need to get better!
The rounded bottom of the body works on the warrior and paladin, but on the thief it looks like s/he is just fat.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1975 on: March 13, 2014, 11:05:02 pm »

It's mostly a shading issue. Take off the shadow at the bottom of the tunic and that'll be a good start.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: March 13, 2014, 11:06:36 pm »

Huh, yeah. does look kinda like she has a beer belly.

Any problems with the knight or the paladin?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 13, 2014, 11:28:17 pm »

Each of them could probably use a more defined right hand grip than shown. Try to make at least a lego grip, but a little more definition than that is ideal. The viewer's eye is lead down to the weapon, so they're going to notice each warrior is holding theirs in a very ambiguous way.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: March 13, 2014, 11:54:24 pm »

I did try, but it just ended up looking really messy each time. I suppose it would be a bit much to ask for an example?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 14, 2014, 12:44:39 am »

That's about what I'd do. It took a bit of fiddling, but basically you want it to look like the hand is wrapped around something. Based on the way the blade is being held off to one side like that, the comfortable way of doing it (I think, anyway) would be to position your thumb straight down and wrap your fingers around behind the handle. I just realized I messed up the sword handle, though. Oh, well. Also, since you've got a third color for the armor, you should make more use of it - it's good for indicating joints that are too fine for full black to look quite right,  I think.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 845