Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282621 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #2850 on: August 17, 2014, 05:05:25 am »

dat globe

The bottom line on the globe kind of seems to curve the wrong way though, i'd expect it to curve "towards" the center instead of away from it. Very very nice circles though, did you use one of those... Circle making thingies? I can't remember what they're called for the life of me. :v

Right. My sprite there is a bit larger than most other sprites used in the game, even. I'm even worse at large sprites, so I don't know why I said that.

Never mind. Ignore me.
naw dude naw don't feel bad

fortunately GUNIN saved it with a quote

It's a nice sprite, actually! It is astonishingly hard to work with tiny sprites, due to the unique set of challenges that they pose, and 18x18 is really not an awful lot of room to cram an entire creature into (although it is doable, as you've proven). This is (probably partly) why people often end up doing the super-deformed style, so they can get in all the important bits (face and such). You did quite well in that small space; there are games with individual body part sprites much bigger than that! (funnily enough, i've been approached about making sprites for one such game, and suffice to say, the HEAD sprite is to be approximately 64x64 pixels)

Sure, your sprite might not be as small as those in various texture packs, but comparing yourself to others is never a fair comparison, even if you're on the favourable side. People have different art styles, to the point where the classic "apples and oranges" saying is applicable. It's only ever fair to compare your art to your past art, because in that case, the only variable is going to be your ability/the end result. Even then, constantly comparing yourself to your past self is just going to stress you out, so in general i'd advise against comparisons in general. :P

I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say that it's less technically demanding to make bigger sprites (at least up to a certain point), since you have all the room you need for details (provided that one knows what details to make, of course, which i often don't), you don't have to make compromises, and the square shape of the pixels doesn't matter nearly as much. This does come at the cost of an exponentially longer working time, though, so you just have to arm yourself with patience. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 17, 2014, 05:11:58 am »

Well, it did curve away from the center when I was sketching it, since it was above me. I guess I did mess up on the perspective and made it seem to be on eye-level though.

E: also yes, i did use a compass to draw the circle :3
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:16:16 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 17, 2014, 05:20:23 am »

My character on Urist McStation.

man I despise hands...
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Ta_veren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 17, 2014, 10:50:19 am »

man I despise hands...

I agree; hands are one of the worst things to draw. Along with feet.

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 17, 2014, 11:30:28 am »

Now I'm doing some actual drawing. Scary. This one came out a little small, but overall much better than expected.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2855 on: August 17, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »

Now I'm doing some actual drawing. Scary. This one came out a little small, but overall much better than expected.
-snip-
What the heck is that it's super interesting to stare at.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2856 on: August 17, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »

Sorry for DP but I drew a thing:

Call it fanarts. Don't sweat sprite sizes Flyme everyone's got their own preferences. *hugs*

The bottom line on the globe kind of seems to curve the wrong way though, i'd expect it to curve "towards" the center instead of away from it. Very very nice circles though, did you use one of those... Circle making thingies? I can't remember what they're called for the life of me. :v
A compass. Someone was giving me crap for not knowing what a compass is a while ago. *facepunches that guy mentally*

The globe looks very pretty I must say. The only thing that bothered me was the two line things that hold it up since they *holds up a pen to the image* are off just by a little bit.

Right. My sprite there is a bit larger than most other sprites used in the game, even. I'm even worse at large sprites, so I don't know why I said that.

Never mind. Ignore me.
Noooo you do goodthings. It's a very bootiful skele.

I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say that it's less technically demanding to make bigger sprites (at least up to a certain point), since you have all the room you need for details (provided that one knows what details to make, of course, which i often don't), you don't have to make compromises, and the square shape of the pixels doesn't matter nearly as much. This does come at the cost of an exponentially longer working time, though, so you just have to arm yourself with patience. :v
Yeah what he said.^^ Though personally I prefer much smaller sprites because it's easy to make changes and stuff.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 17, 2014, 04:50:41 pm »

Interesting. But what is it?

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 17, 2014, 06:47:01 pm »

Spoiler: haaands (click to show/hide)

man I despise hands...
The most noticable issue with the hand is how the fourth finger, left hand isn't being punched by a demon is shorter than the index finger. The ring finger (or at least mine is) is nearly the same length as the index finger.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:15 pm »

-cutted-

man I despise hands...
The wrist should probably be thinner, too. The forearm becomes smaller towards the wrist. Also the thumb should probably be more "out" or something. I'm not sure how to explain it.
Here's a tutorial/reference you can use: http://qinni.deviantart.com/art/Hand-Tutorial-Tips-Reference-187433101

EDIT: I made a silly Dota2 gif:

Entitled "TP SUPPORT INCOMING"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:13:19 pm by Jack_Bread »

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 18, 2014, 11:37:35 pm »

Bleh, this took far longer than I wanted it to.
Spoiler: Kinda large (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 18, 2014, 11:39:08 pm »

Wow, I love it!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 19, 2014, 01:22:18 pm »

Nightcrafter is that purely digital or did you scan a sketch and then paint it?

In any case, it looks really nice, I hope you have more of these :D

Also somebody, that is pretty damn good, there's some issues with perspective on the tower and the shadows cast by the fire could be a bit more defined but the overall piece is quite solid, keep at it :D

Anyways, I think I've gotten myself into a nice habit of doodling on a daily basis, if not my sketchbook (which is getting full dangerously fast) then some PS. Today  I discovered a Russian folk metal band and they had some neat stuff which inspired this doodle thingy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:48 am »

Nightcrafter is that purely digital or did you scan a sketch and then paint it?

In any case, it looks really nice, I hope you have more of these :D

Thanks! It was purely in PS. I'm trying to get at least a little bit of skill using my drawing tablet.

The technique is inspired by much better work. Basically, you use a very light grey calligraphy brush to lay down a large shape, and you use the strange shape as a sort of guide or silhouette of the ship. From there it's filling in details and specifics with linework. You can see some evidence of where I ignored my shape on the right side, and around the fins on the top.

And yes, I am working on some more in a higher resolution.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 20, 2014, 06:55:17 pm »

I tried drawing a random shape and then turning it into something. I think I failed the exercise, but I find it funny so I'll post it.

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 845