Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282994 times)

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #3285 on: October 17, 2014, 09:32:29 am »

its funny how everything becomes easier when you have drawn it once :) i spend lot of time with that previous mech. and did this one under 15 minutes. its a sketch of quadroped.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:11 pm »

can i throw my hand drawn ASCII maps on here?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3287 on: October 17, 2014, 05:52:20 pm »

It's just stuff you made. Could be anything as long as you made it.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: October 17, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »

Well let's see how this works
I think it side ways though

online photo sharing

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: October 18, 2014, 12:31:49 pm »

its funny how everything becomes easier when you have drawn it once :) i spend lot of time with that previous mech. and did this one under 15 minutes. its a sketch of quadroped.
That looks like when people try to emulate dinosaurs or whatever using their hands. The middle finger being the head, and the other four being the legs.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: October 18, 2014, 12:33:44 pm »

That's pretty neat, have you considered getting some coloured pens/pencils to make it even cooler?

Anyways after my last piece I realised my comps are rather crap for the most part and decided to give them a bit more thought and practice. Here I've mostly tried out different approaches to create a more interesting composition. From value and size shifts leading the eye to details and human figures to try and guide the eye across the image. Any thoughts on how un/successful I was? And more importantly why would say that they do or don't work?

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: October 18, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »

The cave one and the water one look pretty amazing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3292 on: October 18, 2014, 01:49:46 pm »

Photographer advice incoming. I think most of it transfers.

The first one is nice, because the cave entrance leans to the right and the light shines in towards the right. The eye naturally follows it, signposted by the figures which is good, and then upward along the wall to the column, where the lighting and squiglly things that may also be lighting lead it nicely back into the center. I'm not sure about the bit on the far right, to the right of the column - in one sense it's nice because it gives a sense of depth to the cave (it makes the column not look like a wall), but it kind of gets cut off by the column acting as a frame for the main area.

The second one is a bit different, but I like it too. It has a clearly defined center - the figure with the white lines above their head. The eye is nice and naturally bounded to that area by the ring of boulders. I'm not sure about the angle, though. With the figures all standing straight, it feels like the viewer is at an angle, which may or may not be good.

The third one (weird four-legged machine one) is not as good - the buildings and white sky keep making me look at the horizon instead of what I feel should be the centerpiece - the woman (man?) in front of the machine (creature?). The bushes also break up the line of the ground that the eye follows along to the woman, adding to the upward-jumpiness, I think. Basically, the main problem I find is that it's a long flat picture but it has a lot of vertical lines in it.

The last one (tower one) is nice in a lot of respects - my eye starts at the top left and leads in nicely to the top of the tower, and the background details don't interfere with the focus - but then the rays shining downward lead it into the empty black bottom right corner, which is not good. The effect is, I think, amplified by the shining edge of the hillside also pointing into the corner.

I hope some of that applies and helps you. Like I said, this is photo advice - my dad is an avid photographer, and I dabble - but I think that most of it is relevant, especially to your style of realism/landscapy stuff.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:18 pm »

Colored pencils for the 4 legged mech or the map?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3294 on: October 18, 2014, 02:58:38 pm »

The first one is really good. I'm not sure how to judge if you've accomplished what you were going for, but I like it. The third one is also really good. It has a great sense of distance - those towers in the background look both really big, and really far away. The second one was alittle confusing, at first, I couldn't tell whether the figurs were people or writing for a bit. The fourth one is kinda meh, the perspective seems kinda strange and it seems either too focused on the thing in the center. Or not focused enough, depending on what you were going for.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: October 18, 2014, 05:54:25 pm »

It counts as something I made! I get to post it here!

A move breakdown of the character(s) that I really, really want added to the new smash bros via DLC:
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: October 19, 2014, 04:45:12 am »

Coloured pencils was for the map, didn't notice the extra post when I wrote that, sorry.

@ rest

Thanks guys, that's helpful stuff.
The right part of the cave image, around the pillar was supposed to be filled with some humanoid figures, I probably should've given them more time with the highlights to point out what they are. So in a way the framing would be somewhat desireable to show a difference between the folks at the entrance and the folks coming out of the depths.
To improve this I guess I'd need to up the detail work and lightning around the secondary subjects, but not too much so they don't take away the inital attention from the folks at the entrance.
The second one is supposed to be a tilted horizon image so we are seeing the figures at an angle. I think I could've made the background a bit darker though so the figures stand out a bit more as separate entities.
The stuff about the third one is good too. I guess I could darken everything up a bit and then use atmospheric perspective a bit more on the towers to make them feel secondary (basically darken the sky a bit so there's less contrast between it and the towers), maybe add some highlights so they still catch the eye as it goes from the ship/dude. I'm not sure how I'd get rid of the verticality though as the towers are kinda a big part of the image. I guess I could make the hills more flowing to the left, maybe combined with some better positioning of the subject it would lead the eye better.
Finally the fourth one does have a somewhat wonky perspective, mostly because I eyeballed it. The idea was that you start at the tower, then follow the lights down to find the lower left corner with a person, which I've made low contrast so it isn't immediately noticed, he's hiding after all. Maybe upping the contrast will make him more obvious, or even moving him to the right/center, but that makes the comp right-heavy. After spotting him the eye can wander to the left side to spot the other towers in the distance. I could possibly widen it to the right and add some detail there so once you spot the figure you can go right or left before turning back to the central tower. Not sure, I'm pretty sucky at vertical comps since I never do them.

Anyways, thanks for the thoughts guys, I'll try and make a second batch today to see if they're any better :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: October 19, 2014, 01:20:48 pm »

Here's a shield i made

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: October 19, 2014, 02:25:39 pm »

Here's the colored map(s)

The first is a map of the cities in my game

The second is a map an environment map

Green is temperate
Red is tropical
Yellow is desert
Light blue is tundra (or ice)
Dark blue is river

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: October 19, 2014, 07:43:34 pm »

GRORIOUS KATANA

facing wrong way
Nuh nuh don't worry his doing it right.
GRORIOUS HONORABRU SUDOKU
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 845