Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282700 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #4485 on: April 04, 2015, 11:02:34 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to do vector art, but I can't seem to upload it to imgur. Do I have to export it as a .png first?

Yeah, as some sort of rasterized image format.
Alright, thanks. I was hoping there was an easier way, but it's not like it's a lot of work, either way.

edit: well, here's one of the things I vectored.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:50:49 pm by ShadowHammer »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: April 05, 2015, 03:33:23 pm »

So, in my infinitely salty nerdrage over Dragons of Tarkir, the most recent Magic the Gathering set, I tried to put together something that avoided the problems I had with the real set. In the process, I did start to realize why they did some of the things they did, but I also think they still wound up making an aggressively bland and safe set that failed to deliver on the promise of a Dragon set despite the number of cards with Dragon in the typeline.

Obviously, what I posted is a very rough draft. I shouldn't have taken the time to do this much; I certainly don't have time to playtest it and smooth out the edges, fix obvious holes or broken interactions with other sets, and the other stuff that you'd expect of a real set, especially given that it will never be played, but it at least serves as proof-of-concept that things could've been more interesting, and that's what I really wanted. I'll take feedback if anybody is (for some reason) insane enough to actually look through the thing, but mostly I'm just glad to have done with it. Now it can stop consuming headspace.

Requires Magic Set Editor to view.

EDIT:

Spoiler: Major Changes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:43:17 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: April 05, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »

Our Electronic Overlord suggests you read and follow the instructions on the terminal.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: April 05, 2015, 06:47:12 pm »

I'm obeying but I'm afraid my attempts to cartwheel like that have been met with failure, and also bruises.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: April 07, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »

Are you the sort of person that has an existential crisis when faced with yard work?
Yes, yard work is amazingly pointless. Your objective is unclear (Really, you're never going to have as nice a lawn as you think you're going to have), the failure state similar (No-one is going to arrest you for having a shit garden), and success limited (Even if you have a really nice lawn it will inevitably fall apart and require your intervention). This is why most memories of being outside for me consist of me angrily raking leaves while wondering why anyone can assume that life has meaning and that justice is even a concept.
Finally, we have a game (created by me in Flash with Stencyl and sounds from SFXR) that models that feeling accurately!

Existential Yardwork!
Featuring: random generation (Exactly one thing moves around), simple controls (arrow keys, bump into things to interact), graphics (That are less aesthetically pleasing then most classic Atari games) and one (awful) sound.
Hope you guys enjoy my first game which I made in four hours. Have a meaningless and ultimately unfulfilled day.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: April 07, 2015, 05:25:07 pm »

Now with added watching electronic eye.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4491 on: April 07, 2015, 06:13:04 pm »

BIG BROTHER IS looking violently from side to side IN YOUR DIRECTION

I like the scanline effect, it's pretty neat. One thing that bothers me slightly though, the diagonal sides of the circle has some EXTRA THICKNESS going on!! Am i entirely wrong in assuming that it's at least partially made via the circle tool? :v (also disclaimer: whether you used it or not, i'm okay with using the circle tool due to how annoying it is to make circles manually, just gotta clean up them lines yo)

Existential Yardwork!
NYARGH THAT VIOLENTLY REPEATING SOUND

Have to say though, it feels surprisingly tight otherwise. I wouldn't expect such a game to feel tight, but it does. Nice work. :v
And in other news, i went to arting course today (again again), and this time i brought my ACRYLIC PAINT SET. This means i could get some good pointers on how to use the stuff, and finally get off my arse and actually legit paint a couple of things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mixing colours with meatspace paint is SO MUCH HARDER than the digital equivalent. :v (also potato cam doesn't quite capture the colours right, but eh)
also also here's a dinosaur i drew while waiting for the stuff to dry completely

Spoiler: ??? (click to show/hide)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: April 07, 2015, 08:04:10 pm »

Actually, it's all one pixel thick.

All handdrawn. Not some tool using... tool!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: April 07, 2015, 08:25:22 pm »

Did you resize/scale the image at all? By the time it lands on our screens, it definitely has variable thickness.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:55 pm »

Did you resize/scale the image at all? By the time it lands on our screens, it definitely has variable thickness.
The scanlines are thicker than the green lines, but I think Gig means that he made the circle pixel-by-pixel.

I see what Shook means, though; at 45°, 135°, etc., the pixels are directly touching each other, rather than being only adjacent diagonally. This gives the effect of looking thicker.
I edited it a little, making it a more typical circle-pattern (original version is the left side, for comparison):

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: April 08, 2015, 12:53:41 am »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:20:03 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:04 am »

I'm trying to figure out how to do vector art, but I can't seem to upload it to imgur. Do I have to export it as a .png first?

Yeah, as some sort of rasterized image format.
Alright, thanks. I was hoping there was an easier way, but it's not like it's a lot of work, either way.

edit: well, here's one of the things I vectored.

I'm a fan of vector art myself, and I'm always happy to see others trying it out as well. What program are you using, because it looks like it might be Inkscape.

edit:On another topic still relating to vectors, those characters are really nice. They're quite smooth and defined.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:35:23 am by coolio678 »
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: April 08, 2015, 11:47:02 am »

Vector art is indeed nice. What program did you use?

Also, cake. German chocolate cake.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: April 08, 2015, 12:27:16 pm »

The scanlines are thicker than the green lines, but I think Gig means that he made the circle pixel-by-pixel.

I see what Shook means, though; at 45°, 135°, etc., the pixels are directly touching each other, rather than being only adjacent diagonally. This gives the effect of looking thicker.
I edited it a little, making it a more typical circle-pattern (original version is the left side, for comparison):

Ah, I see what you mean.

has it fixed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: April 08, 2015, 01:23:29 pm »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:19:37 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 845