Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282618 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #7455 on: July 17, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »

As for the armour: it looks like if he tries to lift his legs or bend over, the cuisses will lock against his breastplate. Also, his breastplate is all one piece down to the hips, so he can't bend at the waist. Similarly, if he tries to raise his arms above flat, his breastplate will catch his arms.

In large part, you've drawn it all as being pretty chunky, where armour generally fits pretty tightly. The breastplate and greaves, for instance, should track the body shape very closely.
Here's a good video about exactly what Arx was talking about.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: July 17, 2016, 10:40:52 pm »

Been getting into Low-Fi 3D lately, and decided to develop it into a visual style for a game I'm prototyping. Here's some experiments:

...I'm a little late, but wow that box-house you rendered Soli, reminds me so much of the textures from Megaman Legends. Greatest game of the early 2000's.

Funny you say that!

Megaman Legends, is basically my primary visual inspiration. I love how they use low-poly and low res textures, but make it look super stylish! I definitely want to go for a feel like that.
Ooo, games-inspired :3
Games inspired me a lot into drawing realistic art due primarily to all the concept art places along with it.
Cheers to that, dude \o/

Would love to get back into drawing given the inspiration I get daily ._. But then HUGE THESIS STRESS.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: July 18, 2016, 06:21:13 pm »

This just in, IINL has no idea how to make clothes that look interesting and just drapes his characters in random shapes.

It's supposed to be a leather breastplate sort of thing over a tight-fitting tunic. I was going for a Korra water tribe-esque look. It looks like I just globbed play-doh on the model, even before I put the preliminary materials on. I do intend to texture it, but I'm not sure that texturing it would make it look any better.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: July 18, 2016, 06:52:13 pm »

It looks very smooth and shiny - too much so - both tunic and breastplate, and breastplate especially.
If it's leather, it should probably have a texture.
The shape as well, conforming to the body shape like that, doesn't look rigid (And if it was, it seems like she'd have a hell of a time putting the thing on) which doesn't help it seem like a breastplate, either. It should probably have straps and buckles if you want it to be wearable.

Standard fantasy breastplate shape is also in full effect, but eh. Fantasy stuff is fantasy.

The tunic doesn't seem a natural colour, either - not something they'd have with modern dyes.
It should also probably go over her shoulders and up closer to her armpits, if not over the top part of her upper arm.
A tunic isn't a strapless dress.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: July 18, 2016, 07:02:19 pm »

I think the breastplate might go. It was the first thing I thought of to distinguish the outfit from Link's (there's going to be pants/tights under the tunic as well, and elf ears makes one too many similarities) but it's really kind of stupid; if you're going to wear armor, why would you only wear a single not-very-strong piece of leather?
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7460 on: July 19, 2016, 12:09:25 am »

What's your goal with this character? If you're designing this character you might try sketching her first to try out some ideas until you're sure of what you want.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7461 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:05 am »

If you drop the shoulder parts, add shoulders to the tunic, and throw on vambraces the breastplate will look more sensible and less isolated without changing the aesthetic too much.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: July 19, 2016, 01:43:07 am »

What's your goal with this character? If you're designing this character you might try sketching her first to try out some ideas until you're sure of what you want.

I was thinking "medieval labcoat". So the breastplate would prevent glass from cutting vital bits (mostly heart and lungs) if a beaker exploded, and the tunic was originally a robe with a section that buttoned over, but I couldn't think of how to do that without making it look too much like a modern garment.

I'm awful at drawing clothes, so alot of the conceptualizing for this happened with making different patterns and using Blender's cloth simulator to drape them over the model.

The shoulders/chest aren't intentionally left white, that's just where I decided to call it quits for tonight. I'm not happy with the leather bits, but that's the best of five attempts and I'm sick of picking out leather textures to use as brushes. Besides, I will remodel it to add some belts and buckles as Gunin suggested, it'll add some much-needed interesting detail.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:53:31 am by itisnotlogical »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7463 on: July 19, 2016, 11:54:08 am »

If you want medieval labcoat, why not a blacksmith's apron and some long-sleeved gloves?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: July 19, 2016, 12:05:44 pm »

Probably she'd wear a longer robe, something that'd cover her legs for more protection.
A leather apron would work, yeah, along with gloves.
If you look at paintings of alchemists, generally they're just wearing, well, clothes.
No need for armour in a lab.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: July 19, 2016, 01:52:20 pm »

I'll just drop this here...
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: July 19, 2016, 04:47:33 pm »

That reminds me a bit of the Banner Saga art.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7467 on: July 19, 2016, 07:19:01 pm »

Interesting semi-abstract style you got there, i like it! c:

Also, i've finally decided to get off my arse and try Krita's new animation feature good and proper. It's not done yet, but i guess it's not ENTIRELY terrible??

A scant few people may recognize what it is i'm trying to (re)make. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: July 19, 2016, 07:33:13 pm »

Hoh hoh, I remember that.

Gonna be honest here, I found your stickmen of yore while lurking many moons ago and thought they were utterly hilarious; they were a pretty large part of the reason I got DF in the first place.

Do I see hamstone's face on that anvil? Hamvil, if you will?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: July 19, 2016, 07:41:46 pm »

That's a blast from the past, blimey.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 845