Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282459 times)

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #9240 on: March 08, 2018, 02:48:04 pm »

Raw image seems squished but that's really neat and she's super cute!

it IS squished. The test image was stored at half-height to be displayed with tall pixels (1:2 aspect) to save on disk space usage if there's lots of portraits or large animated things.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: March 08, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »

That's a 100% better canoe than I could make tbh. By double jointed, do you mean you need to split the sail down the middle so it can curve more naturally?

Thanks. By double-jointed I mean that as-is, the sail will only bend outwards, like in the images above. I want it to be able to bend inwards as well, like if the wind were to suddenly reverse directions. I could just rotate the joint, but that might not look as nice.

Though splitting the sail in half for some extra flexibility probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:18:27 pm by BlackFlyme »

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #9242 on: March 09, 2018, 02:37:32 pm »

here's a tree:

and here's a video of me drawing the tree:
https://youtu.be/0mgx0EMAzjQ

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: March 11, 2018, 05:00:54 am »

Was trying to wake my kid up in the morning a couple weeks ago.  He was being especially difficult.  After like 10 minutes, I dragged him partway out of bed.  Hanging off the side of the bed, he still wasn't waking up.  So I did was any responsible parent would do.  I left the room.  Got my phone.  Took a picture.  Then I traced and colored the picture on my phone whenever I had idle moments.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: March 12, 2018, 12:41:15 am »

Just a beach view.

And some particles. Fire, snow, and water.
The water's awful.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:32:31 pm by BlackFlyme »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: March 12, 2018, 12:48:12 pm »

Been trying to accurately portray the colours of late evening sky (looking out of the window):
It's a pretty good challenge, as the lighting changes very rapidly and you have to be quick.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: March 12, 2018, 02:41:45 pm »

Spoiler: "Star Squad, star up!" (click to show/hide)

So as of late I've gotten into D&D (5e), and it's great fun! Really helped me get more social with some of my friends.
However, while fantasy is fun and all, I've had an itch to do something more sci-fi – and for a while I've had this soft sci-fi, somewhat heroic setting, that I could use.
So ultimately a friend suggested me to basically use D&D 5e as a framework for this, and since last week I've been slowly but surely picking away at making it into something more suited for SF - in some cases, it's merely re-flavoring of existing rules and content, in others it's something a bit more handcrafted.
(Also been developing a setting and campaign plotline to go along with it...lotsa stuff, I know.)

In any case, I ended up drawing concept art for the new, nine core character classes (though I have a few ideas for more, but that's for another time), and for that matter, some of the playable species (races).

I can provide some broad overviews of each of these for the interested.

SigurnFonShnaps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: March 12, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:40 pm »

Just a little walking animation. Thoughts on how to improve it? I'm trying to get some base spriting/animating done so I don't have to take too many breaks mid-programming to sprite something new.

EDIT: More bouncing/expansion & compression needed???
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:08:37 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: March 15, 2018, 05:02:24 pm »

It's passable, though some of the movement is a bit awkward.

I'd focus on skeletal movement. Some parts of the body should be rigid and move in sync. Pay attention to where the shoulders are, and how the hips should move; this will help the movement look more natural. Currently, for example, the head bounces a lot more than the shoulders do, so it looks like the neck is stretching like a spring. Necks don't stretch (outside of wacky cartoonish stuff). Bodies bounce up and down a bit when walking because the whole torso goes up and down due to how legs move.

It's cool that you're giving the cloak some inertia, though it'd look better with an obvious anchor point. The fuzzy collar part looks fine; right below it should perhaps have some detail that moves in sync with the rest of the body to show where it's anchored.

Regardless, if I saw that sprite in a game I wouldn't think twice about it. It's not bad.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:06:58 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: March 15, 2018, 05:16:14 pm »

The body looks alright to me, but the legs seem way off. The back leg in Frame 2/5 reacts like the character is running by going too far back. I can't really tell what's happening in Frame 3/7, and as a result it looks like they're just hobbling forward, keeping one leg in front and one leg in back at all times. The Frame 4/8 bit where they stick their leg out is also kind of over-the-top and jarring.

Also, what's up with the legs being different colors? I couldn't really tell until I opened the image in GIMP because the colors are too similar and the animation is too fast.

I would suggest making the part where the legs pass one another a two-frame process, replacing the exaggerated back leg movement in Frame 2 with a bit where the back leg approaches the front, and making Frame 3 be a moment before the one leg comes out ahead of the body but after it's passed the other leg.

(This doesn't sound too harsh, does it? I'm not trying to be mean or anything; I just want to help you make the animation better.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: March 15, 2018, 05:20:23 pm »

Welp, time for some march of robots spam I guess:

Missed a couple of days by completely forgetting this was a thing :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: March 15, 2018, 05:35:09 pm »

It's passable, though some of the movement is a bit awkward.

I'd focus on skeletal movement. Some parts of the body should be rigid and move in sync. Pay attention to where the shoulders are, and how the hips should move; this will help the movement look more natural. Currently, for example, the head bounces a lot more than the shoulders do, so it looks like the neck is stretching like a spring. Necks don't stretch (outside of wacky cartoonish stuff). Bodies bounce up and down a bit when walking because the whole torso goes up and down due to how legs move.

It's cool that you're giving the cloak some inertia, though it'd look better with an obvious anchor point. The fuzzy collar part looks fine; right below it should perhaps have some detail that moves in sync with the rest of the body to show where it's anchored.

Regardless, if I saw that sprite in a game I wouldn't think twice about it. It's not bad.

Woo! I will definitely clean it up.

The body looks alright to me, but the legs seem way off. The back leg in Frame 2/5 reacts like the character is running by going too far back. I can't really tell what's happening in Frame 3/7, and as a result it looks like they're just hobbling forward, keeping one leg in front and one leg in back at all times. The Frame 4/8 bit where they stick their leg out is also kind of over-the-top and jarring.

Also, what's up with the legs being different colors? I couldn't really tell until I opened the image in GIMP because the colors are too similar and the animation is too fast.

I would suggest making the part where the legs pass one another a two-frame process, replacing the exaggerated back leg movement in Frame 2 with a bit where the back leg approaches the front, and making Frame 3 be a moment before the one leg comes out ahead of the body but after it's passed the other leg.

(This doesn't sound too harsh, does it? I'm not trying to be mean or anything; I just want to help you make the animation better.)

Not at all! I am very appreciative of this advice actually! IMO, good character-movement animation is ultra important for pixel games, so I am really trying to refine it as much as possible. As far as the legs go, ya they are a little aggressive, so... let's see what I can do to clean them up.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:56 pm »

and right away, it's a massive improvement.

EDIT: original for comparison:

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: March 15, 2018, 06:27:51 pm »

Much better :D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 845