Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Boiling Cook book challenge - A relic of insane world gen [fixed sadly]  (Read 19977 times)

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Boiling Cook book challenge
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 10:18:55 pm »

Sadly, I've managed to get 5 dwarves underground. The initial rush is fun but after that it's much the same as just locking your dwarves in for all eternity, minus a few food products. I haven't "conquered" it, but I could probably get close if I tried. Then again, no migrants... so it could be a long wait. Oh well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 10:20:23 pm »

The first two migrant waves are hard coded-you'll get them no matter what. And it all depends really, what did you manage to bring inside?

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:09 pm »

The first two migrant waves are hard coded-you'll get them no matter what. And it all depends really, what did you manage to bring inside?
I got the anvil and all the tools, dug to the cavern layer got some plants and rocks and water, set up walls all around, cut down some trees, made 5 rooms and let it sit for a while.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:46 pm »

I got the anvil and all the tools, dug to the cavern layer got some plants and rocks and water, set up walls all around, cut down some trees, made 5 rooms and let it sit for a while.
This in Sol?

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:16 pm »

This in Sol?
Yep, moment of embark set two miners, get them to dig a staircase and a somewhat large room, set the room to a meeting area and add upwards stairs where needed to retrieve things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »

pic/save? I managed to do the same by digging into the side of a mountain, but I couldn't dig deeper because of aquifers. I take it the caverns have water? And if you've managed that, you know what to do next :D

Pair off the Dorfs, and make them marry £:

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 12:15:25 am »

pic/save? I managed to do the same by digging into the side of a mountain, but I couldn't dig deeper because of aquifers. I take it the caverns have water? And if you've managed that, you know what to do next :D

Pair off the Dorfs, and make them marry £:

I'll put up a pic some time tomorrow if I have the time. Sadly it crashed and I haven't loaded it back up to see how far back I went, but I know they are underground and somewhat safe. And I probably will not upload the save because it might be a little funky as I copied my own raws onto it because I have no idea how you properly swap graphics, and that worked well enough. Except I forgot I had modded out andesite, so that messed stuff up a bit too. But yeah, if you just get dorfs underground fast enough they don't burn and die. This place also didn't have an aquifer so that is a plus.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:30 am »

I can cope with funky raws :P

Also, -1000 worlds have turned out to be quite a disappointment. Not nearly as apocalyptic as I hoped >__<

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 01:13:22 am »

Also, -1000 worlds have turned out to be quite a disappointment. Not nearly as apocalyptic as I hoped >__<

So dwarves don't burst into a ball of !!ice!!? I guess it would kind of be like embarking in a cold area. Just... colder I guess.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:47 am »

So dwarves don't burst into a ball of !!ice!!? I guess it would kind of be like embarking in a cold area. Just... colder I guess.

Yeah, the worst thing I saw was it engulfing the wagon (that's the only way I can describe it - it just disappeared), and destroying some bags.

Y U NO FREEZE DORFS

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2012, 02:24:10 am »

Sol... Owned.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

polanc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2012, 03:09:37 am »

It's too easy to stay inside the sun. For your next challenge you must build a tower to the maximum height possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:21 am »

Someone should make a planet Pluto one.
And Mars. And Mercury. And Europa. And Io. And maybe Ganymede. And possibly Titan. And hypothetically Ceres.
Pluto=really cold, icey, and so forth; Mars=less cold, not so icey; Mercury=not quite as hot as Venus, but much more barren; Europa=Something like a wet Pluto, but a bit warmer; Io=volcanic and fairly hot; Ganymede=Barren; Titan=IDK; Ceres=completely barren, rocky wastelands everywhere, almost no non-dwarven life.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 12:44:36 pm »

Spoiler: Pluto (click to show/hide)
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 03:13:50 pm »

One of the things I've learned from this challenge, is the strategic value of nakedness. I hypothesis that dwarves would be more magma-safe if they are naked. It seems that burning clothes is a death sentence to a dwarf, while merely getting burnt is sometimes survivable. This would seem to have applications for "magmanauts" and extremely dangerous extreme sports such as magma diving, along with everyday dangerous activities such as tapping magma pipes/seas.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7