Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 301263 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »

A story idea has been knocking around in my head for a while, I think it's time to let it free.  It's hot off the presses, enjoy.

Neat idea; I'd like to know how the heck they managed to catch him, even if they are able to track virtually every molecule and are specifically looking for voids - gassing him while he slept, maybe? They mentioned toilets, so maybe they got him there... although that probably wouldn't work, since it's been established that it takes a while for things to uncloak, even after they've left his body.

Since no one's complained, and I've gotten some really good feedback, I'm going to continue posting my story:
Previous bits are here:
Part 1: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63632.msg3183722#msg3183722
Part 2: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99160.msg3190389#msg3190389
Minor revision to Part 2 here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99160.msg3240957#msg3240957

As always, criticism (constructive preferred) and/or pleas for me to stop will be considered.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: Always an advantage to posting something - You'd think you'd notice something like repeating the phrase "know where you’re coming from" twice in as many sentences, but apparently not.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:41:49 pm by AlStar »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2012, 07:38:32 pm »

Here's another one of those rare posts, It's a man describing one of his experiences with war:

Criqitue, if you please.

It's always appreciated.

Also, AlStar, that almost seems like an Aurora fanfic... good job
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:41:15 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 07, 2012, 06:49:46 am »

I realise this is kinda late, but I did it anyway :< plz feedback and don't ask what I was smoking.

I like how you worked on getting a non-human (or even humanoid!) view, and I think, for the most part, you managed admirably.

My only issue really was with this bit of description:
The torso of a woman, bare flesh, navel and sculpted breasts. The hair flew freely, golden, amidst two black antennae that waved in the air, as if tasting it. The limbs were insectoid, a thick carapace that ended in formidable thorns. The thorax was striped a gaudy yellow and black, and a stinger dripped with milky poison.

It just doesn't gibe with how you had the slimes describe things before, like you did with the bats:
The cavern shook softly. The leather-wings nested in the caves, feasting on fruits of the cave-peach tree. Teeth that could shred a man right down to the bone, but nothing to a slime.

I think that the bit that really breaks the immersion for me is the "sculpted breasts". These are slimes which, as far as I can tell, are nothing more then amorphous blobs of protoplasm encased in a thicker membrane. How would something like that know what "sculpted breasts" (or, for that matter, "woman") would look like?

The ending also bothered me - you've squished two different ends together that shouldn't be able to coexist:
1) Our hero slime flees from the Beegirl, then hides in a crevice for a goodly time before coming out, small and weak from hunger.
and
2) Our hero slime runs into the Beegirl again, but the two other slimes, mortally wounded, appear and save our hero.

If other slimes are so badly wounded, they should've died off a long time before the hero stopped hiding.

Alternatively, I'm misreading, and the "A crash and blinding light" is a hallucination brought on by the Beegirl killing the hero, and the hero grabbing the Orb is all just in the hero's head(-like protuberance) as its membrane dissolves.

Alternatively, I'm really off, and your use of (shim/zhe/zer) has completely befuddled me.

Wow. Never expected someone to reply to this. I agree with you about the perceptions of the beegirls being off. I think I was getting tired at that point and just wanted to finish the story without reworking it... pure laziness. There should probably have been a scene in the middle where the hero slime regains its strength, but slimes are pretty durable anyway as long as they can close their skin over the wound. Fire is their enemy.

Maybe it was a hallucination, who knows? :)  Re: shim/zhe I have no idea how to use inter-gender pronouns, so I just used all the things. They're probably made up too.

Thank you for the great insight!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2012, 09:49:28 pm »

I may come back here and post some stuff- do not take dialouge hints from me. Ever. I rarely remember to use "X said" or anything of that nature, the Enter key being my "X has shut up and Y has begun to speak".
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2012, 09:57:08 pm »

Just posting to say how glad I am that this thing is still alive despite the neglect I've given it. 

I should be able to start managing it again and giving critiques in a week or so when I'll finally have significant amounts of free time again.

I'll look through the thread and actually get around to adding the resources that have been submitted, in the future though: PM any you want to add to me so that I don't miss any as I won't always have the time to read through the entire thing.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2012, 10:09:07 pm »

And...I really should put down that huge post someday.

Watching this with happiness at all the stories in.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »

Hello, people in this thread. I'm wondering if anybody'd be interested in me elaborating on my thoughts about the application of the scientific method to writing, and how, because of this, collaboration is better than non-collaboration. It sounds sort of dumb to write it, and I know I'm not a renowned genius, and I guess I'm using this as a way to avoid wasting too much time and space on elaborating on it without at least some ensured interest. But on a very remote chance of interest I'm asking.

Secondly I wanted to ask what you think about that other thread. Myself, I'm sort of confused. I was even more confused when that thread got resurrected after this thread had been created. Admittedly, I used the occasion for my own nefarious means (the poll there). I guess my problem is that I think really this kind of threads is about the community, and I don't like when this community is spread thinly. A couple days ago a guy posted his... sketch in that thread and has got no reply, and I feel kind of bad about it, but on the other hand it is not my responsibility. So I guess I'm also asking in this thread if it's okay if I lock that one. And your opinion on the thread, although I know sort of the "official position" stated in the OP, but in case your opinion is different.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:09 pm »

So, you will, in essence be elaborating on the techniques of (hopefully well-to-do) writing?

I think everyone would benefit from any teachings on the subject, so I vote 'yay'
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

xRDVx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:24 am »

A story idea has been knocking around in my head for a while, I think it's time to let it free.  It's hot off the presses, enjoy.

Spoiler: The gap that's missing (click to show/hide)

As a reader, I liked it. It kept myself from doing anything other than breathing. I did take the "we know where every single atom is" is an exaggeration, while they knowing everything not being. Suspension of disbelief takes care of the "we can't see you nor hear you". The president shooting him without checking where we was, I assume has to do with "Rule of Cool" and because our man was tied up, thus in predictable posture.

I'd like to hear more about it :D

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
My thoughts about writing
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2012, 03:09:28 pm »

My understanding of scientific method:

You've got a natural phenomenon. You make a hypothesis to explain it. You test the hypothesis experimentally. If the hypothesis consistently predicts the results, you tell other people about it. If their experiments corroborate your results, you make the hypothesis a working theory.

How I used to see the writing process:

Spoiler: Continue (click to show/hide)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »

I've got a piece here. It's 1540 words long, so it's a little lengthier than what one usually seems to find here, but it's not a tome.

I considered posting it in the Writer's Guild thread, where I've had workable feedback given to me before, but decided to place it in the more active thread instead. Namely, this one.

I'll share my thoughts and further details on it (and the opinions of one or two others I've given this piece, should you wish) after I've heard a few opinions; I hope you don't mind.

Spoiler: Clinic (click to show/hide)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2012, 02:59:23 pm »

Haven't written any stories in a while, definitely need to get back into that.

Wrote a nice philosophical observation this morning though, after playing piano.

http://maximilian-aurea.deviantart.com/art/Datastream-303258045
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:29 pm »

I rewrote a rather famous story. Please rate it.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0ZZF4O0K4

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2012, 02:06:14 pm »

I've got a piece here. It's 1540 words long, so it's a little lengthier than what one usually seems to find here, but it's not a tome.

I considered posting it in the Writer's Guild thread, where I've had workable feedback given to me before, but decided to place it in the more active thread instead. Namely, this one.

I'll share my thoughts and further details on it (and the opinions of one or two others I've given this piece, should you wish) after I've heard a few opinions; I hope you don't mind.

“Clinic.”

I enjoyed reading this - I think it offers an excellent insight into the perhaps not-too-distant future, and the complications that come from being 'only' human.

I think the only question I have about it is that at the end of the story, the protagonist decides to get an ocular upgrade, which would apparently give him a leg up on his peers and somehow give him the chance to help build that tree house he was always putting off for the kids... except that I don't see how an ocular system would help those things. The benefits of other upgrades that we're told about before: perfect memory or only needing to sleep a couple of hours a day (reminds me of the web comic Power Nap, which deals with the same thing,) provide obvious benefits to the average working Joe. But improved eyesight? I'll admit, I just don't see how that'll give him a leg up.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »

I rewrote a rather famous story. Please rate it.
"No John"

Some issues that I came across as I read:
While very descriptive, I'm having a really hard time figuring out exactly what's going on with the lights. They're letting out a final spark... but then "bursting into the air like fireworks into the night sky" - it just doesn't seem to make sense, unless John is tripping his balls off.

I'd probably mention that his name tag has him as John Stalvern, but that his medals, or something else, shows him as a fourteen-year veteran. It'd be an odd nametag that reads "Joe Smith, 20 year veteran"

Cernel = Colonel, I assume? Rank, not a name?
"the spacecrafts" should probably just be "spacecraft".
"earth, and soar" should probably be "Earth to soar"
"I want to be on the ships daddy.", should probably be "I want to be on that ship, daddy."
"you will be kill by" -> "you will be killED by"

Why does he target, of all things, the WALL? Is it a demonic wall? You're going to have to give some kind of reasoning behind him wanting the wall dead, otherwise it just looks odd.

"He going to kill us!" -> "He'S going to kill us!"

"I will shoot at him!" I'd nuke this piece of dialog, personally. Alternatively, if it must be spoken, have the Cyberdaemon shout (not declare) "I'll shoot him!"

but too late, when he fired the rocket-missiles, the marine plasmaed at him, trying to blew him up.
Did you stop trying? Admit it, you totally stopped trying here. I'd say "but too late, before he was able to fire off his rockets, the marine's plasma rifle fired with deadly intent."

I'll leave the rest alone, but I'll note that it's generally hard to look down at yourself when you've been crushed by metric tons of concrete and steel.

Note: I can't get to the youtube link, so if the story is supposed to be a little campy and confusing (KILL ALL THE WALLS!), then my bad.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:50:49 pm by AlStar »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 130