Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 301264 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:41 pm »

Well, yeah... but that was the kind of bitter sarcasm... kinda maybe martyrdom. Like "Come on, take me, put me on your cross, I've got nothing more to lose," plus the sense of this being a very important drama... At least it seemed that way (hey, I wonder if I'm the author of my own actions).

Not that I can come up with something reasonable to answer to Willfor... Except maybe follow his advice. But that doesn't leave much to my replies, does it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 12, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

I really don't want to make you feel bad, Mikhail. There just needs to be some balance. The problem here is that we're all writers here. Writing is probably one of the most ego-intensive art forms there is because our words can tie so closely to who we are. We all have egos, every one of us. We all need criticism to make us better, but we all have to remember that there is a whole world out there ready to hate what we write. We need criticism, but we also need that construction while we're still in the apprenticeship stage. We need to build each other up to face the literary world.

We're all crazy here, so let's all be crazy together.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #332 on: June 13, 2012, 01:13:32 pm »

Oh, so this is why the writers' guild thread closed. I suppose I should update my signature...

I'm delighted to announce that I've actually finished a story for the first time since NaNoWriMo 2006. This one is shorter than that one and took a lot longer, but it's done and I'm mostly satisfied with it. It's yonder at Many Words. I'm probably going to try to sell it as an ebook via Smashwords with some extra editing and some extra content, but I'm pushing that down the road a little. Right now I'm writing a 1920s Nazi-punching globetrotting zeppelins-and-strange-airplanes skypirate adventure archaeology pulp short, about which I'm fantastically excited.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 13, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »

I haven't been writing at all. I need to get on that. <_<
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 13, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »

I'm probably going to try to sell it as an ebook via Smashwords

Tell me more about this - for instance, why Smashwords over Amazon or some other service? Do you have any previous experience with selling online? How was it? Any tips/tricks?

I've just finished the draft on a 10k word short story/novella, and (after I've cleaned it up) I was planning on looking into e-publishing, and I'd really like to hear from people that have experience.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:23:16 pm by AlStar »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #335 on: June 13, 2012, 01:40:45 pm »

It would be my first self-published piece, too, but I've done some comparison shopping, and I'm going with Smashwords at least for now for these reasons:

• Availability in lots of stores. Amazon's not on the list (there was some issue that they're still clearing up, and it takes some manual effort for them to get something listed on Amazon), but they'll put it practically everywhere else for you.
  • Decent royalty rate. Presumably you're making a little bit less than you would if you went to each store individually, but having everything in one place is handy for keeping track of sales and income (not that I think that'll actually be a concern for me)
  • Easy typesetting. It's nice that I don't have to work out how to convert flat text into .epub; I don't think it's all that hard, but it's still nice just having to turn it into .doc with some styles applied, since anyone monkey or better can work that out.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 14, 2012, 05:29:55 am »

Want me to insult you into action? Otherwise, it's good practice to put a draft away for a couple of months and then approach it with a clear head. Have you tried that?

I've heard of that. Maybe a few months break from it invading my every waking thought will be helpful.

I am curious about the 'insult into action' thing, though. :p

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 14, 2012, 05:56:53 am »

Insulting into action really works... :P

My teacher used to do it, if he didn't like a piece he'd insult the writing and it would galvanise you to write better, using your anger/embarrassment at the insult to fuel it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2012, 09:54:35 am »

Insulting into action really works... :P
Not when I do it, apparently...

Maybe it's about being really honest about it. When I do it I put in lots of disclaimers that I realize that it's all subjective, that it may depend on my mood and various other bias... I guess I should work on it. Pure unadulterated hate.

Decent royalty rate [...] (not that I think that'll actually be a concern for me)
I wonder why it's not a concern for you.

Your words have suddenly connected to something Douglas Adams wrote. He said that there'd be one day magazines publishing e-fiction which would collect good stories. And from this I deduce that the secret to success in the world of online publishing is to make someone important plug your writing... So you probably don't know anyone important who would plug your writing. Is that the problem?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2012, 10:33:31 am »

Oh, I have an idea.

I'm going to post the embarrassing excuse for an incomplete short story (and accompanying annotations made gradually over the years) I wrote when I was around 12. :P As you may have noticed, I've *always* sucked at conversations... ADHD didn't help me keep this on track either. LOL.

Enjoy Grammar-Nazi-Rage, I know I do! (I can barely keep a stable track of what the hell I myself wrote in this.)

Spoiler: Desolatus (click to show/hide)

———————————

——————————-

Spoiler: Random Lore (click to show/hide)

——————————

Spoiler: Fun Lore Ideas (click to show/hide)

————————————–

Ta-daaaaaaaaaa~

An absolute CLUSTERFUCK of confusing ideas that are all practically useless unless I decide to make a precursor novel to my actual space-based Scifi in which the Earth is long-dead due to all this stuff, effectively making years of Lore useless. :P
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2012, 11:36:52 am »

Oh, I have an idea.

I'm going to post the embarrassing excuse for an incomplete short story (and accompanying annotations made gradually over the years) I wrote when I was around 12. :P As you may have noticed, I've *always* sucked at conversations... ADHD didn't help me keep this on track either. LOL.

Enjoy Grammar-Nazi-Rage, I know I do! (I can barely keep a stable track of what the hell I myself wrote in this.)

**stuff**

Ta-daaaaaaaaaa~

An absolute CLUSTERFUCK of confusing ideas that are all practically useless unless I decide to make a precursor novel to my actual space-based Scifi in which the Earth is long-dead due to all this stuff, effectively making years of Lore useless. :P

Did you want any kind of feedback on any of that, or is it just for our reading pleasure?

edit: Ok, I can't help but offer comments, I think it's in my blood or something:

Desolatus - Not GrimDark enough. Needs angels weeping blood over the landscape or something.
(seriously) You overuse the word 'crimson'. Yes, crimson is a cool color, but you can also use red, or many other names in that family.
as brooding shadows of decadent empires hide the dust-ridden memories of a people long-deceased – the Remnants.
This line is both confusing and doesn't really relate to the sentence before it.
...and capable of withstanding crushing explosive blows...
If it's explosive, I don't think it'd be a crushing blow... I mean, I guess there is a crushing component to an explosion, but generally people are more worried about the shrapnel... or, you know, the explosion.
Even more confusing, he's remembering being told how these things are nigh-impossible to kill - "they are impossible to take down with small-arms fire", except for a shot to the eye, or by severing the spine... then he takes one down with a pistol that he "aimed at her chest." Huh?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:55:16 am by AlStar »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2012, 11:49:16 am »

Hey, concerning insults.

Re Ehndras's revelation: what the fuck? What is this supposed to do for this thread? What is bringing in an outdated piece of work supposed to accomplish? It's a thread for improvement, not any random words. In a math class, would you bring a (wrong) solution to a problem you did several years ago? You know that nobody would be impressed and your teacher wouldn't waste his/her time explaining it because he/she already knows that you can do better. If you think it's so hilarious, by all means post it in general discussion, in "things that made you happy today" or on bash.org. >:(

Thank you for your time, and please, continue. ::)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #342 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12:53 pm »

Quote from: Supermikhail
I wonder why it's not a concern for you.

Your words have suddenly connected to something Douglas Adams wrote. He said that there'd be one day magazines publishing e-fiction which would collect good stories. And from this I deduce that the secret to success in the world of online publishing is to make someone important plug your writing... So you probably don't know anyone important who would plug your writing. Is that the problem?

It's a question of realistic expectations, I think-- I wouldn't self-identify as anything better than a mediocre writer even on a good day, and (as you noted*) I don't know anyone to plug my writing.

More than that, though, it's simply vanishingly unlikely that I'll ever make enough money off of writing to make it my day job, and even if I were to happen to beat the odds I think I'd still regard the situation with a sort of cautious suspicion. :P

*As an aside, there actually are some online-only speculative fiction magazines, so Adams got that one right.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 14, 2012, 01:02:12 pm »

More than that, though, it's simply vanishingly unlikely that I'll ever make enough money off of writing to make it my day job
What about one of part-time jobs? Although I can certainly understand doing what you like and having a perfectly stable source of income besides; and having a somewhat easier process to receive paycheck / pay taxes.

I wonder what your day job is, though (if that's alright to ask).

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 14, 2012, 01:05:05 pm »

I posted the actual story because I'd like it to be taken apart for what's good and bad. You know, like what's the point of this? The other spoilers I added just in-case someone wants to read up on some Lore.

I still can't do dialogue for absolute shit, I'm at that very same level quite honestly. Also, if you don't want to read it then don't, quite simply. I'll read something someone posts even if I think its utter shit, but maybe that's just me.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 130