Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964535 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3300 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:17 pm »

Exterminatus is a double-edged sword when it comes to dealing with Chaos. Obviously, the potential constantly exists for all that death to either get dedicated to Chaos or just to just straight-up tear open a rift. On the other hand, two-stage cyclonic torpedoes are pretty much the only weapon the Imperium has capable of making a Daemon World stop...being.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: March 03, 2016, 07:26:35 pm »

I haven't given the players a specific date/age of the city, nor its inhabitants, and I've pretty definitely told them its a pre-Imperial human world.
As said previously, the Imperial dating system is the same as ours, so the year 40,000 in the IDS is the same as 40,000 AD. The Dark Age of Technology started between M15 and M18 (15,000-18,000) and ended between M23 and M25 (22,000-25,000). So set the age of the AI as 15-25k years old and you'll be right.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3302 on: March 03, 2016, 07:38:36 pm »

Tau run around in suits that might be protected against those threats
Nanocrystalline mesh armor; marginally better than cardboard.
 -Earth Caste development team slogan
Well, you should expect it to at least be KINDA air tight since it's mesh armour (except the hooves, because I still have no fucking idea if Tau have hooves or feet in the end, and those hooves might be either their own or shoes or something) and it would be kind of retarded if their flashy cyclops helmets didin't have some kind of air filter in them. I mean, if Imperial Guard gets rebreathers as standard issue, you would expect the "oh so elite freedom warrior samurai" to not have something that's worse. And it's hard to be worse than Imperial Guard in terms of standard issue personal equipment.
And even then there are battlesuits, and if those don't have at least basic CBRN defense then Tau are literally the most naive guys ever. I mean, there are totally things out there that specialize in all kinds of those attacks (maybe except nuclear but eh...) and it's not like they aren't going to run into them one day or another.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: March 03, 2016, 08:14:00 pm »

Man, rebreathers suck. I have a squad of veterans with 'em. They are insanely difficult to glue together.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: March 03, 2016, 08:23:50 pm »

Might just easier to use some green stuff and mold your own. Then you can have those sweet half-face rebreather masks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:33 pm »

GUYS! NEW TTS!
Wait... WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD EMPEROR IS THIS LOYALTY?
TWO NEW TTS!!!
They both kinda sucked, unfortunately. A lot of stuff happened but not a lot of it had substance. Not to mention that they both dragged on for too long.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: March 03, 2016, 08:48:42 pm »

Well, you should expect it to at least be KINDA air tight since it's mesh armour (except the hooves, because I still have no fucking idea if Tau have hooves or feet in the end, and those hooves might be either their own or shoes or something) and it would be kind of retarded if their flashy cyclops helmets didin't have some kind of air filter in them. I mean, if Imperial Guard gets rebreathers as standard issue, you would expect the "oh so elite freedom warrior samurai" to not have something that's worse. And it's hard to be worse than Imperial Guard in terms of standard issue personal equipment.
And even then there are battlesuits, and if those don't have at least basic CBRN defense then Tau are literally the most naive guys ever. I mean, there are totally things out there that specialize in all kinds of those attacks (maybe except nuclear but eh...) and it's not like they aren't going to run into them one day or another.

Tau do indeed have hooves rather than feet. They serve as the design inspiration for battlesuit feet as well.

The basic Tau helmets have a rebreather system in addition to a bunch of other useful gizmos, and Battlesuits are environmentally sealed. Conventional atmospheric problems like smoke, conventional chemical weapons and the like don't really work on them.

40k versions of such weapons usually do work, even on protected enemies, because they dial up the psychotic to 11 and then rip the dial off. Bane Wolves use toxins that can melt through space marine power armour and the sort of atmospheric contaminants that exist on a 40k death world will melt a rebreather as easily as the lungs it was protecting.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3307 on: March 03, 2016, 09:03:41 pm »

GUYS! NEW TTS!
Wait... WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD EMPEROR IS THIS LOYALTY?
TWO NEW TTS!!!
They both kinda sucked, unfortunately. A lot of stuff happened but not a lot of it had substance. Not to mention that they both dragged on for too long.
Yeah, tbh it stops being "Emperor complains about shit and ocassionaly explains how universe works with additional stuff happening in background" and turns into your regular fanfiction, except a bit more refined. The Big E wasn't even that relevant during most of those two, like... did he actually say anything of real importance during all this? Also, everyone starts to suffer from severe Flanderization, even if some characters are totally new (Rogal Dorn).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: March 03, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »

Oh they do. Tau tech places as emphasis in safety (...yes I know Ion rifles whatever look at the plasma rifles though) for the operator.  Usually. Experimental tech and prototypes tend to be the exception.  But yeah,  their suits are pretty well sealed,  and their basic combat armor (not Recon armor) is sealed (they do have hooves, and I think their armor seals against them or something on the idea that out would be useless to armor them anyway). Broadside armor is protected from radiation damn well too, judging by the description of neutron blasters (why not give them ion weapons? Emperor take you!(GIVE THE DRONES FLAMERS YOU BASTARDS AGGGGHHHH)).

I was just making fun of the fancy name/description and just being cars page armor. I suppose the other day to look at it is that it's only a bit worse than power armor. Excuse me while I rant internally about drones.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3309 on: March 03, 2016, 09:19:00 pm »

I suppose the other day to look at it is that it's only a bit worse than power armor.
I'm not exactly convinced of that claim, but what we see here might be just universal laws (as in, Tau suck in melee combat) in effect. I mean, I'd agree that Tau cardboard armour is way better than Imperial Guard cardboard armour, mainly due to the amount of technology (fucking aim assist) in it, but when it comes to actual protection I'd say it's closer to Carapace Armour than to actual Power Armour, since I always considered that actual Space Marine armour is closer to a light tank than to something you could actually wear nowadays, while Tau armour just doesn't fit in that slot in my mind (maybe except the pauldrons, but this is already Pauldronhammer40k, so...). I may be wrong though.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: March 03, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »

I suppose the other day to look at it is that it's only a bit worse than power armor.
I'm not exactly convinced of that claim, but what we see here might be just universal laws (as in, Tau suck in melee combat) in effect. I mean, I'd agree that Tau cardboard armour is way better than Imperial Guard cardboard armour, mainly due to the amount of technology (fucking aim assist) in it, but when it comes to actual protection I'd say it's closer to Carapace Armour than to actual Power Armour, since I always considered that actual Space Marine armour is closer to a light tank than to something you could actually wear nowadays, while Tau armour just doesn't fit in that slot in my mind (maybe except the pauldrons, but this is already Pauldronhammer40k, so...). I may be wrong though.
Oh no it's definitely carapace armor. That wasn't what I meant; I just meant that my first comment was about how it's only a point better than imperial guardsmen armor,  but it's also only a point worse than space marine armor.
We have our own power armorbattlesuits.

[Insert DYNAMIC ENTRY photo here]
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: March 04, 2016, 05:26:15 am »

In the table top do tau fire warriors get some kind of armour save? Do regular space marines get one?
There are any mentions to how good is tau armour in any novel? If I recall correctly I might have read something about effectively stopping a few rounds of lasgun fire direct hits.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:29:19 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: March 04, 2016, 05:42:44 am »

I believe the reason Tau suck in melee is less armor more they have shitfuckterrible reaction time compared to a human.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: March 04, 2016, 06:34:01 am »

In the table top do tau fire warriors get some kind of armour save? Do regular space marines get one?
There are any mentions to how good is tau armour in any novel? If I recall correctly I might have read something about effectively stopping a few rounds of lasgun fire direct hits.

Tau Fire Warriors have a 4+ armour save. Space Marines have a 3+. Impeial Guard flak armour has a 5+, carapace armour is a 4+.

Tau armour is strong enough to repel the same sort of weapons that carapace armour can in the fluff. Smaller caliber bolt rounds, lasguns, autoguns, pulse weapons, Ork shootas and similar weapons can be deflected, though the more powerful ones in that list can punch through if they score a direct hit. Heavier duty weapons like heavy bolters and autocannons blast right through the armour without any trouble.

Tau also suffer very badly in close combat against marines and other strong enemies, since their armour doesn't do much to alleviate the kind of damage caused by a power armoured knee to the chest. When marines get into close combat with Tau they can more or less bullrush through them to shatter their bones.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: March 04, 2016, 08:02:37 am »

So in TT SM power armor is one "level" above them? Saves are better the lower they are I assume.

Also if I recall right they don't have the same strength compared to an average human, as in they are weaker than us physically or something like that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 824