Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964500 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5055 on: July 23, 2016, 03:35:38 am »

It's not. Their infighting is worse than any other possible infighting because it isn't just fulled by an immortal conflict going back all the way to the Necrontyr, but the vast majority of the players are no longer sane.

They aren't rational actors. Even the Orks are rational actors, in their own Orky way. Plenty of the Necron Lords just plain cannot control themselves or have a...questionable interpretation of reality. As such, their infighting would be both ferocious and unending, due to the whole immortality thing. The Newcrons literally have no way of ever organizing into the Empire again, they wouldn't even be able to afford ever paying attention to the other races.

I still can't imagine even in that condition that any race would be able to muster for dominance. You are still dealing with warring factions each of which are powerful enough to take on all the non-necron factions.

If anything at that point the infighting would just end the galaxy. (well ok, I think they will go back to sleep before it gets to that point)

(I will ALWAYS love the misinformation I was given about the Necron. That they are actually the Imperium far far in the future where they have already dominated the entire galaxy... and sent themselves back in time to conquer it so they would never be bothered again... But overshot the co-ordinates and sent themselves a million years+ into the past)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:40:13 am by Neonivek »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: July 23, 2016, 03:50:08 am »

None of it matters, because GW is terrible company. :DDDDDDDD
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: July 23, 2016, 03:58:09 am »

Besides, that's the Borg, not the Necrons.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: July 23, 2016, 04:33:11 am »

I still can't imagine even in that condition that any race would be able to muster for dominance. You are still dealing with warring factions each of which are powerful enough to take on all the non-necron factions.

Considering several Necron dynasties have been destroyed in the past, no single dynasty has anywhere near the power needed to conquer the Galaxy. Hell, all it took to destroy the most powerful Necron warship ever seen was a single marine chapter landing on it and blowing up it's shield generators so other ships could exterminatus it, destroying it and all the Necrons on it (in part because their sarcophagi were on said warship, it being a mobile Tomb World and all, with them blown up they couldn't repair from catastrophic damage.)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: July 23, 2016, 05:54:54 am »

"landing" on it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: July 23, 2016, 06:35:00 am »

Since the setting is pretty explicit that not only are they stagnant but they are suffering from technological regression (I originally just thought they were stagnant but people told me that no... they lost tech too).
First, their technology has nothing to do with their psychic evolution. Second, whoever told you that is wrong. The Imperium's technology is actually increasing. They suffered a massive loss of technology in the Horus Heresy and the early Imperium afterwards, but since then their technical database has been slowly increasing. Some of their technological advances come from their Explorator fleets finding STCs (which is where they got the storm bolter and centurion armour, among other things) while others come from limited and cautious original research on Mars.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: July 23, 2016, 06:44:35 am »

"landing" on it.

Very well, crashing their flagship into it. From what I recall of the event most of the marines on board were able to deploy and fight their way to the command center of the Necrons.

I mean sure they all died, but sacrificing 1000 space marines and a battle barge is more than worth taking out a Necron dynasty, so by Imperial standards I'd probably call it a glorious victory.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: July 23, 2016, 07:35:15 am »

I thought they only succeeded because the chapter master released a large C'tan shard on board.

Also re: humans unlocking the next stage of evolution.
I don't think that current imperial society would even accept that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: July 23, 2016, 07:40:41 am »

Or that imperial society would survive it, what with possession being a thing. Chaos would have a field day if every human was a psyker.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: July 23, 2016, 07:54:21 am »

>Humanity becomes true psykers.
>The Enslavers return
>Most endgame endgame
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5065 on: July 23, 2016, 07:56:40 am »

In short - anyone you want. Except Tau because fuck Tau.
...Not really? Can anyone reliably defeat the Tyranids or Necrons? If no, they lose. So fuck literally everyone but those two. In fact I'd say it comes down to a fight between those two.
Basically anyone except Tau. Imperium finds complete STC, gets better at psychic stuff, or Emperor gets reborn and proably shitton other ways... and even without anything like that happening, Imperium is stronk enough to defeat any other faction, including Chaos, Tyranids and Necrons, the thing is that they can't defeat them all at once.
Eldar just fuck kill themselves a new God.
Chaos is Chaos.
Orks just need a new Beast.

Or that imperial society would survive it, what with possession being a thing. Chaos would have a field day if every human was a psyker.
Point is that those Psykers would be more in line with Eldar ones, so actually more resistant.

>The Enslavers return
>Most endgame endgame
Now this sounds pretty Grimdark.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: July 23, 2016, 08:02:30 am »

>The Enslavers return
>Most endgame endgame
Now this sounds pretty Grimdark.
Until mfw I realize it's just another soft Necron win; and then begins Warhammer 100k

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: July 23, 2016, 08:04:08 am »

The problem with that is that the eldar psykers are more resistant due to training, not any innate quality. Humanity isn't going to have that kind of advantage at the start of being fully psychic, and it'll be the death of them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5068 on: July 23, 2016, 08:46:00 am »

It's not. Their infighting is worse than any other possible infighting because it isn't just fulled by an immortal conflict going back all the way to the Necrontyr, but the vast majority of the players are no longer sane.

They aren't rational actors. Even the Orks are rational actors, in their own Orky way. Plenty of the Necron Lords just plain cannot control themselves or have a...questionable interpretation of reality. As such, their infighting would be both ferocious and unending, due to the whole immortality thing. The Newcrons literally have no way of ever organizing into the Empire again, they wouldn't even be able to afford ever paying attention to the other races.
It's still kinda possible if one particularly potent necron lord manages to corral the sane ones and kill the insane ones (integrating their forces into theirs) to create one vast cron Empire. Also a resurgent C'Tan could probably pull it off. The amount of effort it would take to make the Necrontyr great again seems itself, an apocalypse scenario, but they have definitely been nerfed the fuck out of so they're no longer a time based doom. (Unless you're counting in the scale of billions of years until everyone has died but sleepy crons)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: July 23, 2016, 09:01:40 am »

I feel like even amongst the newcrons, the silent king has a pretty form hold.
Sure there's the occasional faulty unit- but they aren't exactly heresy-levels.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 824