Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963167 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #5850 on: August 22, 2016, 01:13:09 pm »

Nuclear weapons deal 1d4 or 1d6 x 100 at ground zero Neo, books are ten feet from me, and those are the pre-apocalypse versions, a CS nuclear multi-warhead can deal a combined 5D6x100.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: August 22, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

...Wait, did you guys think I was Vanu?
TR best, could probably beat up Imperium with enuff dakka.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: August 22, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »

Nuclear weapons deal 1d4 or 1d6 x 100 at ground zero Neo, books are ten feet from me.

1d6 x 100? Ohhh... So 1-6 Megadamage... so the exact same as the pistol.. Huh...

I am being SLIGHTLY unfair though. Megadamage isn't the EXACT same as hundreds of normal damage.

In that I BELIEVE being shot by 1 megadamage is survivable but being hit by 100 normal damage isn't (unless you have mega-armor to negate it)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: August 22, 2016, 01:15:42 pm »

That is the damage in MD Neo, nukes are specifically noted as being high-level MD weapons (which means exactly nothing when things have several tens of thousands of MDC.)

I can quote the exact passage if you need a reminder.

And you have that backwards, if you have the SD to tank the hundreds of SD attacks, you can survive it, but one MD makes everything that is SD dead.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:17:40 pm by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: August 22, 2016, 01:26:45 pm »

That is the damage in MD Neo, nukes are specifically noted as being high-level MD weapons (which means exactly nothing when things have several tens of thousands of MDC.)

I am pretty sure that a pre-apoc nuke is in normal damage (might have to check)... Given that Mega-defense represents a sort of level of indestructibility.

Especially since Full on Rift Nukes don't even do x100 damage they do x10.

---

But Rifts basically is a setting where everything is super powerful anyhow.

A ORDINARY Dinosaur that is human sized... Is bullet proof (except by Tank destroying weapons), and can basically eat tanks.

Basically Warhammer 40k doesn't stand a chance when even the ordinary docile wildlife can drill holes through the hull of a ship.

THAT and even the weakest of armors in Warhammer 40k can survive a point blank shot with a nuke (If they get lucky)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:35:10 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: August 22, 2016, 01:47:43 pm »

I would correct you Neo, but this is the 40k thread, I have a perfectly serviceable PNP RPG thread for in depth discussions of games like RIFTS.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5856 on: August 22, 2016, 01:54:40 pm »

To return to something more Wh40k related - all the time I paint that Tau Battlesuit I keep hearing this. I mean, Tau with dark painting schemes? Good God Emperor, maybe Rolepgeek will even tell me they're good at melee. :P
On a still related note - is there some "Tau themed" (as in, something that fits the style, not really made for Tau because lel who would make music for the worst race ever) music?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: August 22, 2016, 02:06:53 pm »

I never really got the 'tau are shit at melee' thing. Sure, the air or water caste would make sense. But the fire caste? The people literally bred to be soldiers and you're telling me they're bad at fighting?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:37 pm »

I never really got the 'tau are shit at melee' thing. Sure, the air or water caste would make sense. But the fire caste? The people literally bred to be soldiers and you're telling me they're bad at fighting?
I mean, modern soldiers are also trained pretty hardcore, but they're mostly trained with ranged weaponry, and would be pretty shit in melee compared to chainsword-wielding superhumans.
They're pretty good shots, though, which is what their combat doctrine is about.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:45 pm »

It comes down to two main reasons, one of which may not be canon anymore.

1) Tau view melee combat as chaotic and unpredictable, which it is, and seek to avoid it for philosophical and tactical reasons.

2) The Tau eye doesn't adjust well to rapid changes in lighting and sudden movements in exchange for better long distance vision than a human eye. Due to the fast paced and frenetic nature of melee combat the Tau are prone to mild disorientation when fighting enemies at close quarters. The Fire Caste may be bigger and stronger than any Tau that isn't a menial grade Earth Caste labourer (as opposed to an Earth Caste scientist) but they can't change the basic function of their eyes through selective breeding so easily.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: August 22, 2016, 02:13:55 pm »

Up close, yeah. It's just that most of the time no-one really gets there without a lot of numbers, like orks or 'nids.

@Grim: The second one would still be valid, given the abysmal initiative score of tau infantry.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: August 22, 2016, 02:14:05 pm »

Its my understanding that they are physically weaker than humies.

Then, in addition, their culture has lauded the value of individual life and focuses on ranged attack.

So its not that *they cant*, its that they are physically unconditioned to and their culture considers it an inferior choice and other races specialize in it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: August 22, 2016, 02:19:59 pm »

No, looking at the stats they're on par with regular humans in terms of strength. Then again, that's still enough reason to stay out of melee, what with space marines, orks and whatever else out there.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: August 22, 2016, 02:22:14 pm »

Not quite. There are Tau who engage in melee combat, other than radicals like Farsight, and that's Ethereals. In fact, honor blades are the primary weapon of Ethereals, when they do fight.

There are two basic approaches you can take to that. Either the Kot Theorm, which states that Tau are mind-boggling hypocrites who will accept anything they normally disagree with as long as the Ethereals do it, or the Rollpgeek Theorm, which states that the Ethereals are exempt not because of their status but because of the artistic grace and skill of honor blade combat.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: August 22, 2016, 02:26:24 pm »

Hey, Could someone give me odds that Ethereals are literally Eldar in fancy disguises?
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 824