Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964406 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8085 on: January 20, 2017, 09:23:11 am »

Humanity would have steam rolled everything else. That would mean no Tau, no Eldar, no Dark Eldar, no Chaos, probably no Orks (or at least no Waaaghs), Tiranids slamming against an unified, competent galaxy and Necrons woking up against the same.

On the other side it would mean most of Imperial institutions would not exist or would not have men or women at arms, that would mean no Sisters of Battle, no Inquisition, Ecclesiarchy, and any of their militant branches.

Who knows what might have been of the Mechanicum, probably it would have been fully integrated into the imperium once the former grew huge enough to not really have use of a separated faction to run technology and most manufacturing. Maybe it would have been something gradual and pacific or a violent conflict.

The game would then have only a few factions:
- Imperium of man: With the imperial army, with numberless well equipped and trained soldiers, and vast, ultra high tech navies as the bulk with several special operations groups, the most glorious of all being the Space Marines. With competent officers to use all this resources, it would have been ridiculously over powered. Probably geared towards extra galactic colonization once all the Milky Way was tamed.
- Tyranids: All the same, but probably much less successful.
- Necrons: Probably doing better than the Tyranids, but not as well as right now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:09:51 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: January 20, 2017, 09:47:32 am »

Well you'd probably have the tau as a client species or something, mostly since big E would've clamped down on xenophobia towards 'non-threatening' species.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: January 20, 2017, 09:50:09 am »

But seeing as the Tau are "recent" species, most probably some colonization fleet would have taken up the planet, established an imperial colony and either make the Tau go extinct or have them in zoos/museum of sorts or whatever the policy on sentient, tribal level indigenous population was at the time.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: January 20, 2017, 10:06:40 am »

Not sure about the Tau surviving. After seeing human auxilia within their ranks and their rapid technological growth, emprah would prob not think twice about exterminating them. Keep in mind that the xenos race most similar to humans in the galaxy are the eldar, and that never stopped the pre-horus heresy imperium from skirmishing with them. Granted, the eldar are sanctimonious dicks, and maybe if they weren't so dickish, there would be possibility for peaceful cohexistence, but even then its a slim possibility. This could only happen since the emprah himself has an interest in the eldar and they aren't exactly a huge threat to the imperium, since the eldar are extremely wary of letting themselves fall into decadence again, plus their tech would be very useful to the imperium, not to mention the fact eldar and humans, while eons apart in evolution, are oddly physically and genetically similar, etc.

Tau tech still pales in comparison to archeotech, and their xenophilic policies would be at odds with the imperium, specially since their lack of knowledge about the warp and chaos could cause them to recruit xenos psykers into their ranks, plus them kroot be scary, scarier then the tau themselves.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: January 20, 2017, 10:12:43 am »

But at the time the Tau where only at a savage or tribal stage. Remember the Mechanicus fleet that explored the planet, finding out the savage Tau species (somewhat cavemen level) and cataloged the planet for colonization, but the colonization fleet was lost to the warp and the Tau where saved by plot armor (and GW need of a new faction).

Quote from:  Warhammer 40k Wikia
What is known is that only 6,000 standard years ago, in the 35th Millennium, an Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator fleet had discovered the Tau homeworld of T'au and determined that its population of sentient xenos were a primitive people at the Stone Age level of development who had only just mastered fire.
Warhammer 40k Wikia, Tau entry.

Hence in the year 34K (or before), under the rule of the emperor, the Tau would have quickly become yet another cataloged and extincted species of primitive local xenos to make way for human colonists.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:22:14 am by LordBaal »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:17 am »

:U

Well, I imagined the scenario of the emprah surviving the HH and how the imperium would be at the current years, which would mean the tau would be the same as now, unless they got exterminated before that.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: January 20, 2017, 11:09:40 am »

Heh, I'm imagining The Emperor personally visiting the stone-age Tau and just, to everyone's confusion, bombarding the planet into space dust.  Or throwing it into their sun with his mind.  "None shall speak of them.  Ever."

'Course that's from my desire for the Tau to be significant, even if they're doomed :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: January 20, 2017, 11:34:08 am »

I imagine if the E was taken to see the Tau as they were when first discovered he'd have just said something like 'Who cares about a bunch of xenos cavemen? If the planet is useful enough colonise it, otherwise let's leave the primitives to linger here and come check on them in a few millennia and see if they'll make an acceptable vassal species.'
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: January 20, 2017, 11:36:42 am »

lets not forget that the Tau only came together from the influence of the Ethereals, who are all-but-outright-stated to be / the result of extra-tau intervention by another species (eldar?) who might not have gotten a chance in  Emps'hammer 40k
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: January 20, 2017, 03:18:05 pm »

E is a founding myth character in 40k

even in HH he does fuckall.  because hes plot moving strong.
he has to be out of the picture in order for real conflict to happen.

hes somebody's marysue manifested.
hes unnecessarily strong for his importance to plot, to be blunt
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: January 20, 2017, 03:19:59 pm »

id go as far as to entertain an arguement that he is a poorly designed character.  :|
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: January 20, 2017, 03:24:45 pm »

Forgive me if I don't keep up with 40K much, but what is this "plot advancement" thing the title speaks of? (a link to something detailed I can read would be nice)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8097 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »

I'd go so far as to argue the Emperor is not a character, but is pure plot

Forgive me if I don't keep up with 40K much, but what is this "plot advancement" thing the title speaks of? (a link to something detailed I can read would be nice)
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Advancing_the_Storyline#Yep.2C_They.27re_Doing_It

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: January 20, 2017, 03:27:19 pm »

id go as far as to entertain an arguement that he is a poorly designed character.  :|
heresy etc
And I see your point, but it is rather important that this one man was able to unify Earth.
We could have had the Imperium be run by a successful world-conquering oligarchy- oh wait it essentially is, but the backstory is that this guy did it.

I do like the idea that the Emperor really wasn't that exceptional, just a mid-high range psycher, who happened to win the unification wars.  Inevitably, someone would.
Would actually work with his "No I'm not a fucking god, just the best human" agenda.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: January 20, 2017, 03:33:07 pm »

A lot of the Warhammer stuff has an alternate interpretation.

One side is that the God Emperor really isn't anything special and that his death really represents more strongly his death in the eyes of the people... He is put into quite literal life support by the very life and soul of his people.

Yet the reason they don't just let him reach his natural death is because his is needed far too much as a symbol.

Add in that the Warhammer universe is a "Belief = Power" universe... and now you understand how the Emperor protects the imperium just by existing. He is important because everyone believes he is important. His undue importance is his greatest strength and asset.

But the better part? The Emperor is quite unimportant. If anything he is a detriment to the entire imperium. He has reached near figure head levels yet him getting as much as a sore throat gets national news (not that they would ever let him show weakness... Nooo... Likely they will post some sort of new hobby he has)
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 824