Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963157 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8445 on: February 24, 2017, 07:51:21 am »

Bitching about mediocre balance in 40k should be done everywhere! Let all know of our suffering!

EDIT: Just finished this, more or less anyway, figured I'd share it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's a WE Chosen Champion. Got quite a few models to make to finish his unit, so far it's him and 2 guys with chainswords. Going to add 3 meltaguns and either another power axe and a power spear or two power spears to the unit, plus a couple more chainsword guys to bump the full unit to 10 models.

Also WE with power spears is pretty hilarious on the charge. S6 AP3 and 5 attacks is no laughing matter for marines. Sucks if you don't wipe the enemy out first turn though when you get kneecapped by AP4 in the following turns.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:14:52 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: February 25, 2017, 04:46:20 pm »

you know unsubtle criticism from the tts guy?

im using the Lord Inquisitor's line from it as a text recieved notification.

"UHH OHH!  SMASH IT.  bwanh bwanh bwanh bwanh"

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: February 25, 2017, 05:29:22 pm »

That was funny, but my eye twitched every time he mispronounced Arbites.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: February 25, 2017, 07:55:40 pm »

I took it in stride, because one of the jokes of the setting is that they misuse Latin at every opportunity :P
It *has* been ~35,000 years, TBF...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »

Pretty sure that was intentional. The Arbitrator was not meant to come off as smart, after all.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: February 25, 2017, 09:14:46 pm »

Pretty sure that was intentional. The Arbitrator was not meant to come off as smart, after all.
Is there...any common way to pronounce things, all said? :-\ I don't want to mispronounce these but from exposure to several videos, there's a lot of ways to pronounce these x.x

I took it in stride, because one of the jokes of the setting is that they misuse Latin at every opportunity :P
It *has* been ~35,000 years, TBF...
Oh. :-[

you know unsubtle criticism from the tts guy?

im using the Lord Inquisitor's line from it as a text recieved notification.

"UHH OHH!  SMASH IT.  bwanh bwanh bwanh bwanh"
I liked that humor. :P
I also like how Bruva Alfabusa works with that art style of 'probably cut out figures' that I don't know the name of. And the voice work!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:16:22 pm by Tiruin »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: February 25, 2017, 09:17:37 pm »

It's also not actually meant to be latin, but a completely unrelated language that just gets written as garbled latin for our benefit.

Latin and English died out a long time ago in 40k, to the point that's the only race that still speaks any modern era languages or their derivatives are the Orks, who have a few loan words from English they picked up a few tens of millenia ago.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: February 25, 2017, 10:43:03 pm »

indeed, alpha busa is entertaining.

i actually find a few other people who channel 40k to be funnier, but i think he does his best work on short, nontts skits.

like meeting the felinids.

but, i can imagine how much time they save using a few 'cutouts' of each character and wiggle them to and fro.
hes also good enough to make cegorath, however his name is spelled, actually jerk his hand as if he were puppeting whatshisname rubrikguy. arhiman i think.  back in the episode about the black library.

p:

if you were wondering.  most people would pronounce 'arbites' as R-bite-ees instead of how the non-native english speaker did in the skit, as ar-bits.  made it sound like a plural to 'arbite'. which is reasonable for english, but not for latin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:47:46 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: February 26, 2017, 01:56:14 am »

Also the silly 'skitaree' pronunciation.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: February 26, 2017, 04:48:48 am »

Oh, I'm aware it's most probably intentional, but that doesn't change the fact that I still find it rather iritating.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: February 26, 2017, 11:22:21 am »

Just finished Master of Mankind - damn, this was a good book. Probably my favorite HH book so far (given their usual mediocrity, it kinda stands out). Interesting characters, delicious topic, probably the most tragic ending of any 40k book, even if it's all a foregone conclusion. The portrayal of the Emperor reveals interesting things but nicely also leaves a lot ambigious, which according to the afterword's was the author's intention. Bonus points for a really good-looking cover.

Also read Angels of Caliban - also surprisingly good. The characterization of Guilliman and Lion is fairly strong and their interaction interesting to follow, though the Night Haunter is mostly reduced to a cackling caricature and Sanguinius once more fails to live up to the hype of my imagination. Oh well. The Caliban subplot is pretty engaging too.

Is Praetorian of Dorn or the Corax book any good? Might go for them next.

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: February 26, 2017, 11:36:55 am »

Ive listened to the one where he makes genebabies and apharius v1,800.0 fucks it up.

that one was enjoyable.  idk if theres more to be heard of them though.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: February 26, 2017, 02:49:00 pm »

Is Praetorian of Dorn or the Corax book any good? Might go for them next.

Part 1 of Praetorian of Dorn is pretty good. Lots of the ins and outs of infiltration in the Imperial Palace (I generally enjoy anything set on Terra where the author tries because there's so much material to work with.) Lots of Alpha Legion goodness if you enjoyed their schtick in previous books. Part II is mostly made up for flashbacks and I felt dragged a bit, but it's got a good Imperial Fists origin story thing thrown in there. Part III is under way.

Spoiler: Part 3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:40:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: March 03, 2017, 09:23:39 pm »

question:

i keep hearing references in horus books about tyrannid teeth, bones, or trophies. i hear about machine spirits and et al in these 30k, age of reason books.

what gives?  it seems almost sloppy for them.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: March 03, 2017, 09:38:32 pm »

Machine Spirits are contemporary for 30k, as it's a Martian doctrine and they were doing their thing then. Even people outside the Mechanicus could plausibly be aware of such a thing. In addition, there's a weird disconnect between the books canon where the Emperor advocated the atheistic Imperial Truth and the rarely seen classic tabletop canon where he was always God-Emperor. Hence you'll occasionally get references to "that's heresy!" in 30k even from BL, which I assume is meant to be taken as a more secular condemnation.

Ironically you could justify having some Tyranid trophies in 30k as long as they weren't called that, because the Nids stranded some creatures the last time they visited the Milky Way who became infamous xenos-beasts.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 824