Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 977808 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8460 on: March 03, 2017, 09:47:30 pm »

question:

i keep hearing references in horus books about tyrannid teeth, bones, or trophies. i hear about machine spirits and et al in these 30k, age of reason books.

what gives?  it seems almost sloppy for them.
Do what I do and assume that the HH books are an in-universe retelling of the Heresy collated from a wide variety of sources and influenced by in-universe bias.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: March 03, 2017, 09:50:00 pm »

question:

i keep hearing references in horus books about tyrannid teeth, bones, or trophies. i hear about machine spirits and et al in these 30k, age of reason books.

what gives?  it seems almost sloppy for them.

Machine spirits were a thing even in 30k. There were skeptics in the Mechanicus, but only a handful, the vast majority of the Cult believed in the existence of spirits in even the simplest machinery, and basically everyone else took them at their word, even planets the Imperium hadn't found yet believed in machine spirits because they had been in contact with Mechanicus Explorator fleets and settlements during the Age of Strife.

Trophies were just a common thing among the warrior cultures most of the soldiery came from. Most of the original Astartes were recruited from the nations that were formerly at war with the Emperor, many of which were still ruled by warlords who had capitulated to him and become part of the Terran bureaucracy. Marines kept them as mementos of foes that seemed significant when they beat them, human soldiers as something generally more primitive, like taking scalps or bones to steal some of the dead foe's power. The Emperor vaguely encouraged it, knowing of the totemic powers such things can have, the Primarchs likewise approved, and then the warrior lodges that became common among the military encouraged it further. Most marines had a small collection of trophies claimed from xenos and rogue human elements by the time of the Heresy.

Not sure if you mean you genuinely saw a reference to Tyranid teeth in HH, if you did that was either an anachronism or a reference to Hive Fleet Colossus, though they weren't known as Tyranids because Tyran hadn't been eaten by them, so the name would be anachronistic regardless.

It's important to remember that even the time of the Emperor was one of superstition and myth. Terra had only barely been lifted from techno-barbarism and wars between rival clans and nations. Most of the population was still nomads that bore a resemblance to something out of Mad Max, Mars had been soaking in indoctrinating waves from the Void Dragon for millennia, everywhere else had been ravaged by daemons, aliens, civil wars, insane AIs and stranger darker things on occasion. Knowledge and wisdom had been forsaken in the desperate scrape to survive and placate horrific beings.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: March 04, 2017, 06:08:25 am »

Lawl.

It's important to remember that even the time of the Emperor was one of superstition and myth. Terra had only barely been lifted from techno-barbarism and wars between rival clans and nations. Most of the population was still nomads that bore a resemblance to something out of Mad Max, Mars had been soaking in indoctrinating waves from the Void Dragon for millennia, everywhere else had been ravaged by daemons, aliens, civil wars, insane AIs and stranger darker things on occasion. Knowledge and wisdom had been forsaken in the desperate scrape to survive and placate horrific beings.

I picture it as an attitude mainly of privilege and education. The ones that scoffed at daemon or sorcery in 30k, like it'd had been figured out and beliefs like that were for rubes. The vast common human population supported the Imperial Truth probably without really understanding much of its higher precepts other than "Man good, God bad." And they were the first to turn back to the old ways, if they ever even left.

As for the Mechanicus, again with that same sort of enlightened ignorance, I think the secular body of the 30k Imperium probably viewed machine spirits as "a wholly technological basis which we don't understand and the Martian Priesthood chooses to surround in ritual." Stretching the Imperial Truth but not quite breaking it maybe. Their stance on the Emperor though....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: March 04, 2017, 06:39:54 am »

Which book(s) did you spot the 'Nid trophy references in? I'm surprised if something like that slipped past the editors.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: March 04, 2017, 12:33:00 pm »

actually this particular case is a carnadon.  which is a liger

so thats my b.  ill keep an ear out though
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: March 11, 2017, 09:12:58 pm »

Not mine, but I had to share this.

Within a day someone has converted Guilliman into the Emperor.  :D
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: March 11, 2017, 10:18:55 pm »

Haha within a Day. Of course!

Pose is very different too. That's some intense work.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8468 on: March 12, 2017, 06:32:13 am »

Praise!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: March 12, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »

Guess who's back, back again
Gulli's back, tell a friend
Guess who's back, guess who's back
Guess who's back, guess who's back
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: March 12, 2017, 05:12:45 pm »

Rumours on the web-

1. Armageddon might be next planet to die
2. Truescale Marines incoming?
3. Bellisarius Cawl is apparently tinkering with things outside his understanding.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: March 12, 2017, 05:27:04 pm »

Rumours on the web-

1. Armageddon might be next planet to die
2. Truescale Marines incoming?
3. Bellisarius Cawl is apparently tinkering with things outside his understanding.
If Armageddon dies, I fully expect it to be because the Beast has been Set Loose.

War! War! War! War! War! War!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: March 12, 2017, 05:57:02 pm »

hah you read that quest too
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: March 12, 2017, 06:00:10 pm »

hah you read that quest too
Red Flag is a bloody good writer, yes. Hoping that Skullkrak gets to kick the Beast's shit in in Segmentum Solar. Ripping great big chunks out of his character repertoire will help a lot.

I'm the guy who's been doing those big old analysis posts.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:04:02 pm by ArchAIngel »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8474 on: March 12, 2017, 06:43:57 pm »

Inb4 everyone gets saved by flood of Kriegers.
Literally clone wars.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 824