Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964220 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8760 on: May 07, 2017, 07:29:00 pm »

Was playing some Dark Crusade earlier, and noticed that while my Necron Lord was busy playing Operation on a Word Bearers Sorcerer, both of them had the exact same staff.

Is it likely that a Chaos sorcerer would be using a Necron weapon? Or is that just lazy modeling by Relic?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: May 07, 2017, 07:35:50 pm »

Visually they might be similar, but no.  Chaos and Necrons are about as opposite as sides can be, even in WH40K. 
In a time before time, the Necrons and their stargods warred against the Old Ones.  The Old Ones created the Eldar and the Orks, creatures of the "Warp" as we now know it.
The Necrons hate the warp, and all who wield it.  Humans who revel in its use are their anathema.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: May 07, 2017, 07:44:51 pm »

Visually they might be similar, but no.  Chaos and Necrons are about as opposite as sides can be, even in WH40K. 
In a time before time, the Necrons and their stargods warred against the Old Ones.  The Old Ones created the Eldar and the Orks, creatures of the "Warp" as we now know it.
The Necrons hate the warp, and all who wield it.  Humans who revel in its use are their anathema.
That said, there is nothing stopping anyone from using a necron weapon if they get their hands on one (and figure out how to fire it).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: May 07, 2017, 07:46:20 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPtGqoMcMow

Salamanders are pretty chill guys.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: May 07, 2017, 07:47:38 pm »

That said, there is nothing stopping anyone from using a necron weapon if they get their hands on one (and figure out how to fire it).
Well, stabbing someone with something pointy never gets old.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: May 07, 2017, 11:27:37 pm »

-snip-
-snip-
Cheers for the C&C guys. Hadn't originally planned on a muddy look, was going for something like "very old bone". But if it works I'm inclined to run with it.
I have a lot of details to pick out and trim to go over, too.

Definitely interested in the neon. Should I have done my black highlights before putting on the neon and what density of stuff should I be going for? I was worried about having them intersect but now I'm not sure.

Thinking of re-doing the model and undercoating him in wild colours and then putting the black over the top so there's more continuity between shapes, which might look less jarring.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:48 am »

My method is always: messiest --> most detailed work.

So for me it typically goes base coat --> primary color scheme --> washes --> highlighting/dry brushing --> detailing --> free hand work --> touch up. I try to work so that screwing up something on my current layer can't drastically hurt anything on the previous layers.

Thinking of re-doing the model and undercoating him in wild colours and then putting the black over the top so there's more continuity between shapes, which might look less jarring.

I would think black would obliterate most of those color choices by going on second. Black can be hard to give a nuanced look because it's, well, black. It also mutes the saturation of anything going over it, and so takes a lot of the punch out of colors. Going the other way....not many colors can alter the saturation of black unless you do a really, really thin coat.

Black works as long as you have enough sundry detail picked out to break it up. (Also why drybrushing on black models is fairly important to bring out the details.)

If you're going to strip him down and start again, consider base coating in white, and only doing black for the sections of his armor you actually want to be black, then doing the non black sections by hand. That will make the non-black sections pop more if they're going over a base coat of white.

Also just a question: is that like black spray primer then a coat of black paint? or is it just black paint as the primer? I ask because the coat looks a little thick on that Slaanesh marine, and very thick on the guy above.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:54:04 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: May 08, 2017, 03:04:49 pm »

Clarification: I mean use black to block out everything Except the shapes I want to keep.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: May 08, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »

Can also do black base, white base for the sigil, then go over the white a couple times with your preferred color. Depends on how thin you can keep your paints.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: May 08, 2017, 11:45:07 pm »

Now I've had more time to read, I usually paint over the primer on models I want to keep black, because touc-uups can look very conspicuous over the prime-coat.

The neon is done with a few coats of white and then coats of color over the white.
If the black can eliminate a color-coat easily it might be better.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: May 09, 2017, 10:25:41 am »

Honestly, Im happy with whatever video game the pump out. As long as i have Vermintide and Mordheim im fine.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:21 pm »

I am currently reading a (not that great) book about titans, and I got to thinking: Instead of pretentious latin names they should name titans after planets.

I can just see the dread "Titan Uranus" stomping by while the IG troopers chuckle.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: May 10, 2017, 01:15:40 am »

Titan Mars and Titan Terra would have to be pretty special

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: May 10, 2017, 02:27:37 am »

Sounds moree like Titan versions of Sailor Moon tbh.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: May 11, 2017, 11:24:09 am »

So yeah every forum in the 'verse has been doing daily dumps of 8th ed teasers.
For anyone who was looking out for it, you're probably already aware.

However I've only just realised that they aren't here, and there might be that niche of 'people who like the lore of 40k and sort of want to get into the game, but don't really follow it' here.

So here's a random dump of the last few weeks' daily teases from GW.
It's mostly rules, but there is a tiny bit of new lore.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 824