Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964412 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: A comparative biology of Beastmen.
« Reply #10095 on: February 01, 2018, 07:36:34 pm »

I bet it would be fun, but I don't know anyone who plays, and my entertainment money would probably be more efficiently spent elsewhere. Or not at all. Free internet videogames can be pretty good, turns out. :v
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: February 01, 2018, 09:12:33 pm »

The absolute madmen, they did it. They're bringing back the Squats!
My name is Games Workshop. This is my building; this is my business; this is my life. I am 43 years old; in less than a year I will be dead. Of course I don't know that yet, and in a way, I am dead already.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: February 01, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »

*Takes a drink*  SPACE DORFS NEVER DIE!!!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: February 01, 2018, 09:51:31 pm »

Uh... the clock broke.

I think this means that will be the squats last hurrah.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: February 02, 2018, 04:34:33 am »

so . . .

goofy planets at galactic center full of densely compressed humans with superior tech?

I'm not sure why they did away with all squats to begin with, since individual dwarves works fine and is realistic enough.  the planets full of memes in space were a bit much, but bands of dwarves works.

and what makes squats different than ratlings or a literal midget with a gun?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10101 on: February 02, 2018, 04:49:10 am »

so . . .

goofy planets at galactic center full of densely compressed humans with superior tech?

I'm not sure why they did away with all squats to begin with, since individual dwarves works fine and is realistic enough.  the planets full of memes in space were a bit much, but bands of dwarves works.

Memes.
Beards.
Technology.
DWARVES!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: February 02, 2018, 04:51:27 am »

I mean if they were a power-armored non-space marine faction that would be reason enough.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: February 02, 2018, 05:09:45 am »

so . . .

Basically what happened was that the designers working at GW sometime around the shift from 1st to 2nd edition, or 2nd to 3rd, I'm not clear on when, were having to update the various armies and they kept putting off squats because they were honestly a bit embarassed about what they had done with them. People get bugging them about getting updated rules and they were at the point where they wanted to scrap them and try again later, so they eventually just decalared 'they all died, go away and stop asking.' There's a quote from an interview floating around about it.

Essentially the guys who made the Squats all couldn't stand what they had done with them so they killed them off to try again later with the space dwarves concept because none of them actually wanted to sit down and update them.

They've been mentioned as existing in the setting here and there, in 6th and 7th the core rulebook had them listed under a short list of common abhuman strains.

I mean if they were a power-armored non-space marine faction that would be reason enough.

I'm not sure there's enough design space left for them mechanically. We already have Sisters to be humans in power armour, and Space Marines can do anything they want including the old mechanical roles of the Squats. They'd end up being what? S3 marines with worse morale and shotguns?

They might work as a carapace armoured T4 faction with an emphasis on short range shooting, but Stormtroopers already do that with T3 and Genestealer Cults do it with T3 and some assult focus added on.

Pretty much everything they did is already being done apart from train-tanks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:22:58 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10104 on: February 02, 2018, 05:20:54 am »

Basically what happened was that the designers working at GW sometime around the shift from 1st to 2nd edition, or 2nd to 3rd, I'm not clear on when, were having to update the various armies and they kept putting off squats because they were honestly a bit embarassed about what they had done with them. People get bugging them about getting updated rules and they were at the point where they wanted to scrap them and try again later, so they eventually just decalared 'they all died, go away and stop asking.' There's a quote from an interview floating around about it.
Not exactly. At first GW literally refused to comment, they just stopped talking about Squats at all, which resulted in all the "Games Workshop Inquisition necked squats" memes, but later they made a relatively okay story to explain why they're gone.

Essentially the guys who made the Squats all couldn't stand what they had done with them so they killed them off to try again later with the space dwarves concept because none of them actually wanted to sit down and update them.
Yeah because after 1st edition the game took a relatively more realistic stylistic, Squats were really... over the top, especially in vehicles.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: February 02, 2018, 05:23:01 am »

And now we have the first ever bows in 40k!
And actually the first ever non-power weapons with an AP mod as well.

grumble gruble bitterness grumble

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: February 02, 2018, 05:27:40 am »

Bows?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: February 02, 2018, 05:29:17 am »

Yea the floodgates are creaking.
Best be asking someone else lest you be drowned in vitriol and salt.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: February 02, 2018, 05:32:51 am »

And actually the first ever non-power weapons with an AP mod as well.

Pretty sure Chaos Daemons already had those. Especially if you count the more varied weapons they had under the old AP system.

Also Chainaxes, and I think some variants of the Ork Choppa, and various Tyranid bio-weapons.

Bows?

I think Tack's referring to the Tzaangor Enlightened. They can use magical weapons gifted by Tzeentch, one is a double ended spear and the other is a bow.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10109 on: February 02, 2018, 05:34:16 am »

Next time they will give us things like, I don't know, swords or spears or knives or other medieval weaponry! Preposterous!
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 824