Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62

Author Topic: Corneroids  (Read 106618 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corneroids
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:25 pm »

Damn I was working on my own spacey minecraft game... although it had more in common with SS13 then anything else.  Or at least, that was my plan.  Didn't get much done other then placing blocks and physics.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 01:36:37 am »

So after even more playing I find this game is much better than minecraft in terms of mechanics, you have vehicles that can move at set speeds semi-realistically instead of teleporting about and it has a fair amount of minerals. My only complaint so far is how slow mining is even when you have an upgraded DRILL out of all things.

What was the developer's email? If you can't disclose that perhaps show him to the Bay12 forums so we can atleast give some suggestions.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:17 am »

BTW possibly unintentional satire here from Alexandertnt

There must be 50 of these minecraft blocks in space games by now; They keep popping up like moles in a whack-a-mole game.

I know. this, along with all the Doom-likes are getting annoying.

Anyway, Any game with construction has me interested. Are there any complex systems that can be built? (Eg anything turing-complete, or something like life support systems)

I can think of a good dozen Doom-likes that I just downright love, if you consider a Doom-like to be a fast FPS. Similarly, how many Roguelikes do we enjoy? I'm all for people making MC-likes.

Also it's an issue of resources. You can make voxels at about 1m scale right now which is cool and it's sort of what MC does. Saying something is MC-like in this sense is saying if it's got 1m voxels (or apparent equivalent), random proc-gen world, and environment modification (which is the primary reason why you would use voxels at all). Might as well say anything using textured polygons is a Commander-like.

(Yeah maybe MC doesn't exactly use voxels, but you know what it's pretty darn close)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:59 am »

Yeah, "Voxels" (Or whatever it is they may be technically called) work very well for building construction games, especially with small development teams (eg 1). And I love building stuff, so bring on the MC-likes.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 03:26:29 pm »

This game has a bit more than just the boxes as influence from minecraft. Most are minor, but still, for example: The UI is very similar to minecraft.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »

Minecraft UI is very simple.  There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something.  We also gonna complain that it uses WASD? :P

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 04:36:32 pm »

It also uses the mouse, and at least two of it's buttons and a scroll wheel.  All of which is totally unoriginal and no one should ever to it again.

Now can we stop the pointless discussion of what this game is like and move it towards what actually makes the game good and bad?

All my points on this game are summed up with, it needs multiplayer.  Good thing the dev is working on it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 04:54:19 pm »

If the game could use anything in mechanics terms, I'd say it's help with thrust and direction.  It's very tricky to set up engines and understand how they'll work, and with very few reference points in space it's hard to really practice either.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 04:59:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

some helpful tips someone made.

also, the developer's email should be on that earlier pic i linked.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »

My big problem was trying to use one engine for rotation.  Need a pair for it to work cleanly.  That guide also doesn't mention spiral engines, like z and x on a player.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 05:51:37 pm »

The last two diagrams are the rotational control thrusters.  I've found that you need at least two controls if you want to have enough control to not end up making a simple rocket.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »

Minecraft UI is very simple.  There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something.  We also gonna complain that it uses WASD? :P
If i could share this on facebook/twitter whatever and like that, i would and i never *like* anything or on VERY RARE occasion. As i cannot do that, i am sooo sigging this....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 08:43:53 pm »

Would be epic to see this become an MMO.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »

@girlinhat: that's one of the things i like about this particular project. just some of the details that let you know that some effort was put into it.

@zecro: some people are already emailing the creator to see if they'll continue developing it.

*edit*
and apparently there's been a response!

Checked all the photos and tried emailing "Mikko Pulkki", no die.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 02:15:19 am »

Its less "OMG THIS GAEM MINECRAFT RIPOFF!!!!11" and more "I'm kinda getting bored with all these blockbuildingshipmaking half done games"

Seriously, there like weeds. Maybe I just want a fully done blockbuildingshipmaking game and i'm kinda annoyed at the almost viral spread of "Its minecraft, IN SPACE! Play the alpha now, *soon* to be released in full!"

Hopefully once one comes out, like properly out, the alpha mushrooms will die back and i'll actually get to play a game, not test a concept/engine.

TL;DR: Space building "voxel" games need more polish, and less alpha shoveling.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62