Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!  (Read 28238 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story - Better than TerafirmaCraft!
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2023, 12:41:28 pm »

Well, you may want to check out Secret Foxfire's stuff. https://www.youtube.com/@SecretFoxfire

He does the official Vintage Story events (one is happening this weekend, actually), and runs a server for his patrons to play on.

Also an old-school dwarf fortress player, and in fact I started following them because I knew him from here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2023, 06:12:52 pm »

So 1.18 stable was just released. Haven't gotten to try it much yet cause I'm waiting for prospector mod to update.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2023, 07:17:13 pm »

Holy shieeet, that looks like a good update.

Shame I'm already backlogged as it is.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2023, 10:20:43 am »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it out. Love the new world gen stuff it's got in it this update.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2023, 07:14:47 pm »

Have they ever gotten around to dialing back the hostile mobs? I remember rather liking the various crafting activities but I hated how wolves and those weird goblin things would just never leave you alone; they spawned frequently and were so hyper aggressive your only choices were to kill or be killed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2023, 07:41:32 pm »

Not really by 1.17. They'd changed the Drifter spawn mechanics so they spawn out of rifts unless you disable that, but rifts seem to spawn waaaaaaay too often for me to be happy.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2023, 08:20:11 pm »

Eh rifts only spawn where there isn't light, so with a few [hundred...] little oil lamps, you can rift-proof wherever you live so its safe. [note, this doesn't keep the bloody wolves and bears from tearing you apart]
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2023, 08:28:37 pm »

I'm sorry, they added BEARS?! Because wolves weren't awful enough?

Guess that copy I bought is going to languish for a few more years at least, given how the devs appear to be doubling down on the issues I had previously rather than addressing them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2023, 11:23:17 pm »

When you create a world you can change creature hostility to 'passive' or 'off' which might help. You can also change what happens to your items when you die (whether you drop them or not). There's also modifiers for how much damage they can deal to you.

You can also just set your spawn to be in a more tropical environment. Panda bears aren't very hostile and hyenas are easier to deal with than wolves.

Your best bet is to find a plain of some sort to build in that's a decent distance away from forests. Last time I played I built right next to a forest and the constant wolves were not pleasant. I'm not entirely sure the criteria for bears to spawn so I can't advise about that.

E: There may also be mods that can make things less annoying but I don't know which ones they'd be.

Also you can increase your default hit points too...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:29:53 pm by Ozyton »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2023, 12:05:58 am »

Have they ever gotten around to dialing back the hostile mobs? I remember rather liking the various crafting activities but I hated how wolves and those weird goblin things would just never leave you alone; they spawned frequently and were so hyper aggressive your only choices were to kill or be killed.
Yes.  And, via normal in-game menus for creating a new world, you can make the world as temporally unstable/aggressive or 100% peaceful as you wish.  And anywhere in between.
You can vary the world size (length/width), depth, realism, precipitation, temperature, surface deposits, and more.
If you want a massive desert world, no problem.  Tropical jungle? Sure. Snowy wasteland, all good.
You can also have something remarkably earthlike, or something with huge floating islands in the sky and patchwork adjacent biomes.
You can also have a world that is 1M x 1M x 256 (yes, 1 million blocks squared x 256 blocks thick) and it's perfectly fine.  Game runs great.  You can also shrink that down to ~5000x5000x128 if desired, and anything in between.

This is one of the most easily user-adjustable or user-customizable games I have come across in the past 10+ years.  Almost everything you could want to modify or adjust for all aspects of gameplay can be adjusted simply be editing a .json text file.
And the best part?  Most of the time, you don't have to regen your world.  It just works the next time you load it.  Often, you don't even have to exit to desktop, just back to the main menu and reload.
1.17 and 1.18 in particular added some really nice features to avoid the ridiculous lethality of night-time, if desired.  I mean, yes, it was terrible.  Drifters would spawn and kill you non-stop.  Players would get permanently pushed into the rust world and not even know it.  Not ideal.  Totally optional, now.

Another thing.. the crafting system in this game is one of the most immersive I have ever come across.  It's really good.  You actually dig up the ore, smelt it in a crucible, and either cast it into hardened clay molds, or into ingots for smithing later.  The forge/hammering process is great, too.  It's all so consistent in it's contextual implementation that you believe it.  You feel like your avatar is doing it.  Sure, it's all voxels/micro-voxels, but.. I am sold on the theme.  If ECO could take anything from Vintage Story, I would hope for the crafting system.

Farming is straightforward, and easily moddable/adjustable.  You don't have to be a programmer to mod this game.
Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend fans of DF, Minecraft, Portal Knights or Voxel fans in general check it out.
You can even pour water onto magma and make obsidian.  8)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2023, 10:05:45 am »

I agree. While the game dev's vision for the game is truly nightmarish, they are at least kind enough to allow easy configuration for those of us who would rather just enjoy the nifty crafting aspects of the game.
Come play Mafia with us!

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2023, 11:55:33 am »

1.18 has an experimental "Homo Sapiens" mode that outright attempts to disable all lore content, presumably for just that sort of person. It does remove ruins because they're related to the lore, last I heard, so that does make you have a bit less easy loot. (I believe it would remove both surface and underground ruins but I'm not sure, not having tried it myself. The latter is much more lore-related, you can get lorebooks from panning bony soil from surface ruins though, and the books contain snippets of lore.)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2023, 04:04:27 pm »

One thing I learned the hard way, you now need tongs to handle a hot crucible. The tongs need flax twine(made from 4 fibers) and 6 sticks. I didn't see it in the 1.18 notes since it's only mentioned in one small-text line.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2023, 03:33:01 am »

I should really check out the game again, think it's been nearly a year since I last played. It is such a nice and pretty game.
But yeah, temporal storms can be annoying if you are trying to focus on building something nice.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2023, 08:35:20 pm »

I always disable the storms and stability. They're just not what I'm after.

Although you can now see *something* in the distance when you're in the Rust World. Apparently the files call it a Storm Lord or something similar to that.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16