Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566606 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3885 on: March 01, 2011, 05:53:52 am »

DF 0.31.20 now contains more fixes than any other 0.31.* version (according to the bug tracker). Go toady!

Wouldn't it be like .31.19A?

Its suppose to be just bug fixes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: March 01, 2011, 06:25:00 am »

DF 0.31.20 now contains more fixes than any other 0.31.* version (according to the bug tracker). Go toady!

Other bugfix releases also increased the release number.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: March 01, 2011, 06:27:51 am »

Other bugfix releases also increased the release number.
Those other bugfix releases also contained new content.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3888 on: March 01, 2011, 06:33:45 am »

I've dropped the letters since 0.31.01 as part of the overall simplification of the release numbering.  The main thing to aim for now is getting to 0.32.01 before I hit 0.31.99.  Hopefully that'll be happening after Release 1 on the schedule, or right around there, so rolling over the 2 digit counter won't be an issue.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:22 am »

Those other bugfix releases also contained new content.
Not really. 31.02, 31.06, 31.08, 31.10, and 31.15 pretty much were bugfix releases only. Depending on what you consider a feature rather than a tweak, you could add more to that list.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:19 am »

Say, Toady, what with the new trade improvements coming up, will it eventually be possible for traders to place orders or commission stuff from your fortress, such as armour? In that case, will it be possible for dwarves in Fortress mode to make armour fitted to the size of other races? This would be most helpful in adventure mode too.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: March 01, 2011, 11:21:50 am »

Say, Toady, what with the new trade improvements coming up, will it eventually be possible for traders to place orders or commission stuff from your fortress, such as armour? In that case, will it be possible for dwarves in Fortress mode to make armour fitted to the size of other races? This would be most helpful in adventure mode too.

This has come up a couple times:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg1088744#msg1088744
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: jpwrunyan
when will we be able to forge non-dwarf size weapons and armor?

Probably when agreements with humans become more interesting.  They just pay more for certain weapons right now, but it would be fun to have them commission several human breastplates, for example.

Have you planned further limiting the availability of plate armour? As far as I know, it is not 'one size fits all' equipment. So if we wanted to commission a set to our measurements, it'd cost a lot and take (a lot) of time make. Adventure mode in particular would benefit, fortress mode perhaps less so.

Making clothing size requirements more stringent is iffy:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg994813;topicseen#msg994813
having to size clothing for different dwarves [...] is a nightmare

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg698450;topicseen#msg698450
Quote from: ArkDelgato
Will there ever be size differentiation for clothes?

There might be size differentiation for clothes later, but only when we can handle it without it being a total nightmare for the player.

Quote from: rex mortis
Have you planned further limiting the availability of plate armour? As far as I know, it is not 'one size fits all' equipment. So if we wanted to commission a set to our measurements, it'd cost a lot and take (a lot) of time make. Adventure mode in particular would benefit, fortress mode perhaps less so.

How about proper shield damage to make them less reusable? This is possibly coming with item damage though.

I don't have any particular plans, but it sounds reasonable enough.  People have posted some relevant quotes and things here for the issues in fort mode.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:24:10 am by Footkerchief »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: March 01, 2011, 02:30:08 pm »

The oldest question in the book:  When you were editing the raws for all the new stuff, what did you add first, the chicken or the egg?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:51:04 pm by Granite26 »

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: March 01, 2011, 05:33:28 pm »

When moving parts are added, will it be possible to build things such as (off the top of my head) pier supports by dropping them into the water? That way we could have harbours, seaforts and towns on lakes, that are built more realistically rather than it all standing up by being connected to the shore via one floor tile..
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: March 01, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »

The oldest question in the book:  When you were editing the raws for all the new stuff, what did you add first, the chicken or the egg?
Good question. :o :D

As for which came first on planet Earth, I've started a thread on the debate (and I've got some wicked arguments!):
Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? (a debate)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:42 pm »

Well the actual question would be if we can get a selfhetching egg. We have now eggs and itemcorpses so could i create now a proper phoenix(?) that keeps killing stuff for centurys with fire?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: March 02, 2011, 02:26:54 am »

Well the actual question would be if we can get a selfhetching egg. We have now eggs and itemcorpses so could i create now a proper phoenix(?) that keeps killing stuff for centurys with fire?

According to the wiki, eggs won't hatch unless fertilized by a male, so I don't think you can make them self-hatching.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: March 02, 2011, 04:54:40 am »

even if that worked it would not be recognized as the same phoenix in history. you'll need also to transfer the soul for that to be a 'proper'* phoenix

* as usual with trying to properly defining fantasy stuff, your mileage may vary.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: March 02, 2011, 06:37:01 am »

Chicken vs. Egg in DF:

being litteral I guess the egg came before chicken.
taken more broadly, there were kobolds, lizards, reptiles and birds before they started laying eggs.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: March 02, 2011, 06:40:23 am »

actually, people were modding chickens in their games long before they could mod eggs, so chickens came first
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 342