Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677302 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1995 on: May 12, 2016, 06:48:59 am »

I've had no problems with energy, but I put energy mining stations anywhere. Plus those strategic resource power plants are really good combined with the power hub. If you are short of energy maybe the solar panels are worth it, but I prefer using the station slots for something else. For example, having an engineering bay at the place you keep your battlefleet can save you more energy than the solar panels would generate in the first place.
Wow, I totally misunderstood how engineer bay works. I thought it was a bonus given to ships built there?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: May 12, 2016, 07:20:12 am »

Full scale bombardment with no restrictions is pretty meh, no virus bombs, nanobot clouds or at least nuclear fire to just clean planet of civilian population.
Ehm, do vassals actually work? Vassalized empires refuse to let me research their tech faster unless for insane prices( after getting fleets wiped out and planets conquered by robotic hordes those guys still refuse to love me ;-;7)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 12, 2016, 07:26:14 am »

Question, since the game is so new I'm still very confused about the pace early on. Maybe I'm just being bad about efficiently constructing resource collectors, but it seems to take a very long time to get the ball rolling. How long does it usually take for you peeps to get planet #2?

No matter who you start as, there will be two planets suited for your race within very close range. As soon as you get colony ships (which should be the first society tech you go for), send one out to the closest one. Yeah, you'll probably go into the negatives in energy while it builds up, but you should've saved up a bit by then because there's no much to spend energy on until you start expanding. So it should only really take as long as researching colony ships and building one does, which isn't too long in the grand scheme of things. Getting minerals for it is slow at first, but while the tech is researching, plop down some mining stations in your home system to get a flow of at least a few energy credits and at least 5 but preferably 10 minerals, and when you see the tech is close to finishing, save up and splurge on it when it's done. Then use the minerals that build up over its build time to finish setting up the mines in your home system and any others withing your borders at that point.

This whole time you should have your science ship surveying systems. I've only played with wormhole so far, so I try to hit up all the ones in the first ring as soon as possible. Don't build a second science ship or constructor until you get your second planet, and build a science ship before a constructor. Science ships are good ways to get a boost in the early game by finding anomalies and whatnot, and they'll also give you a clear idea of where you should expand to and where you should build frontier outposts to grab some good shit. Make sure your science ships have scientists in them, and try to grab ones with traits relating to either survey speed or anomaly chance. If you get any maniacal ones, set them to be research scientists, it's worth it.

Oh, and make sure you set up governors for your first two planets, you won't need an admiral at that point so you can use your leader slots to eke every bit of productivity out of your planets as possible.

Ninja Edit: Yeah, full scale bombardment is lame. I don't get why it's a policy at all, I bombarded a planet for a year or so while I was waiting for my ground forces to finish leapfrogging their way there, and nothing really happened to the planet - no buildings destroyed, no pops dead. Keep in mind this is a 30k power fleet, so they've got a decent amount of firepower. I was expecting to glass the planet and all I did was make everyone unemployed.

EDIT2: With that said, the planetary side of war is lame as fuck. It feels so barebones, I'm sure there'll be a DLC focusing on it. Why can't I do anything with the planets after I've occupied them? I've got a massive fleet hovering around and I've filled the slots on the planet full of xenomorph troopers, I'm a maniacal xenophobic miltaristic empire whose sole goal is to enslave or purge everyone, and for some reason I can't touch the buildings or the people on this planet I've taken? I want to be able to sic my army on the populace, purge them all or enslave them all and ship them off to some far flung colony, do some actual damage to my opponent. But the military aspects of this game feel very poorly thought out and designed for multiplayer only, so I'm not too surprised.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:30:48 am by Glloyd »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1998 on: May 12, 2016, 07:27:13 am »

The price gouging is real

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1999 on: May 12, 2016, 07:38:38 am »

Ninja Edit: Yeah, full scale bombardment is lame. I don't get why it's a policy at all, I bombarded a planet for a year or so while I was waiting for my ground forces to finish leapfrogging their way there, and nothing really happened to the planet - no buildings destroyed, no pops dead. Keep in mind this is a 30k power fleet, so they've got a decent amount of firepower. I was expecting to glass the planet and all I did was make everyone unemployed.
Sounds bugged? Dunno. I've got full bombardment in my current game but haven't got in a war yet. I'll try it out myself and see.

Trade is pretty fucky in general. To wit:

"Hey what do you want for that terraforming gas?"
"What are you offering, bug?"
"Uh 20 EC/month?"
"We will not accept that deal, bug"
"Okay how about 1 mineral?"
"OH FUCK YES TAKE ALL THE GAS YOU WANT"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: May 12, 2016, 07:55:33 am »

Trade is pretty fucky in general. To wit:

"Hey what do you want for that terraforming gas?"
"What are you offering, bug?"
"Uh 20 EC/month?"
"We will not accept that deal, bug"
"Okay how about 1 mineral?"
"OH FUCK YES TAKE ALL THE GAS YOU WANT"
If you think TRADE is fucked, try getting an alliance sometime. Not "get invited to an alliance" but start one from scratch.
Its basically impossible if your potential ally isn't rivalling anyone.
In my Star Fox game I've been sitting at over 100 opinion with my federation builder neighbor for the entire game, with ALL THE TREATIES but they just REFUSE to join my space party.
There REALLY needs to be a bigger correlation between opinion and alliance modifiers.

EDIT: OK, WHAT IN THE SHITTING FUCK IS HAPPENING? TWO FLEETS OF VOID CLOUDS HAVE JOINED A IRON AGE PRIMITIVE CIVILIZATION. IN ALL THE GALAXY THERE EXISTS NO ABILITY TO EVEN.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:16:08 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 12, 2016, 08:20:54 am »

EDIT: OK, WHAT IN THE SHITTING FUCK IS HAPPENING? TWO FLEETS OF VOID CLOUDS HAVE JOINED A IRON AGE PRIMITIVE CIVILIZATION. IN ALL THE GALAXY THERE EXISTS NO ABILITY TO EVEN.

I had that same thing happen to me but they have never moved and are completely neutral. At one point I caught one of my constructor ships in their party ball, just hanging out until I ordered him to move again.

I've also had a similar issue with an invisible primitive race that doesn't show up on the planetary map but does mess with colony happiness on the planet. Clearly we're dealing with a race of super space druids.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: May 12, 2016, 09:28:17 am »

Wow, I totally misunderstood how engineer bay works. I thought it was a bonus given to ships built there?
Oh yeah, I mixed it with crew quarters. Crew quarters give -20% upkeep to ships in orbit of the planet with the starbase. Engineering bay gives -10% upkeep to ships built by the starbase with the improvement. Sadly it has no effect on your old ships.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #2003 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:13 am »

Edit: Now that I think about what is bad about Stellaris, I think Paradox failed a little by going to differences in numbers instead of difference in actions regarding values/governments/species. What I mean by this is that some +10% bonus to something might be mathematically big thing, but it doesn't come across to the player that different to -10% malus. If instead the player had a different ship class or diplomacy action or something, it would give the player the impression of larger difference between those choices. Even if the actual difference would be less.

So I think the differences that exist are appreciated by those with a mathematical approach to games or with a lot of past experience about Paradox games. But people coming in from more accessible games have a feeling that the game is bland regarding the options available, because numbers don't come across intuitively in the same way.

This is a pretty good observation and some strong points you make. Even as a numbers guy, this would make the game a lot better for me. It's something I really like about Crusader Kings 2 - playing as a tribal pagan chief is a lot different than playing as a Catholic feudal king. Even something as "simple" as giving nomadic races a free pop resettlement every X months or having militarists be able to upgrade their ships without blocking construction of new ones. Mechanical differences are cool.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 12, 2016, 09:37:24 am »

AI technology is so awesome, already outresearching neighbours and fleet of just 6 cruisers and two battleships outguns everything.
And robobros seem pretty chill and dont riot at all, how do you observe the game after game over,huh?
How ai fleets encountered by you, guys, even look like? 4/4 ai fleets I had seen were  lasers + some tiny bit of shielding + some tiny bit of armour + good engines + fine sensors, this is just rockpaperscissored by torpedoes.
Did anyone use carriers? Do bombers make any damage at all? Their range is 8, it is something to laugh at.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2005 on: May 12, 2016, 09:58:17 am »

My current strategy is to build craploads of corvettes and zerg rush anything in the immediate vicinity. It works.

And apparently the way to stay on par with technology is to spam labs everywhere.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 12, 2016, 10:38:06 am »

So, from what I've skimmed on the current page, the game on release is as buggy and incomplete as every other Paradox title on release?

Color me surprised.
._.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 12, 2016, 10:39:36 am »

Buggy, arguable.
Incomplete, yes.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 12, 2016, 11:36:00 am »

Ok, here are my 2 cents after first finished play (2nd largest map, max ai):
Game feels awesome as long as you are 'exploring the game' starting to build empire, even the first invasion on enemy to enslave them feels awesome. But at that moment you start to notice quirkiness. I have won my first war to capture a planet - enemy capital - by just jumping my fleet into their homesystem and winning a fight with their fleet, not even destroying their shipyard. Both me and enemy had similiar power and he was 'fanatical purifiers'.
As soon as you start interacting with AI game goes downhill with speed of light. Also the engine (still clauswitz) feels really unoptimized for what it achieves (not talking about graphics).
I'm still hoping that fixes this game really needs (there is a lot) will not come as DLC.

Somehow they managed to make a 4x game that is completely non-replayable. Apart from few (3?) different end-game scenarios, which of course neither AI nor game engine can handle.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 12, 2016, 12:35:13 pm »

I would not call engine badly optimized, it runs perfectly fine on my 2gb ram ultrabook with intel video card perfectly fine, EU 4 runs much worse for some reason.
AI is weird, but in all strategy games ai thinks in some strange way.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 632