Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678190 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2385 on: May 19, 2016, 11:56:16 am »

In regards to this cluster spawning:

My past three attempts at whooping this game's ass have seen me start with a large amount of unsettled between myself and my nearest neighbors.

In regards to my latest game:

Created a hyperdrive species for a HD-only galaxy, and I happen to spawn in a system with only one connection, which leads to two more systems with colonizable planets. I feel confident in my ability to defend this amazing position from any and all Ayylmaos. And I've started to use hyperdrive a bit more, since it gives the universe more of a structured feel, and makes the game feel completely different. Warp Drive saw me expanding rapidly, quickly pushing onto the borders of other empires. Now every move is calculated, every planet weighed not only for the value of resources but also it's strategic value.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 19, 2016, 12:18:09 pm »

So the AI is much smarter then I first thought, In response to my gigantic genocidal enslaving empire that was beating the everloving hell out of them. Sadly for them when your fighting someone who mass produces battleships and you don't have enough minerals to rebuild a fleet it doesn't quite matter.  :P
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: May 19, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »

Stations in general need some improvements. The ability to customize them is a must for this type of game.
Here. This lets you upgrade the main types of station to your flavor. You still need to remove and replace them for post-construction upgrades just like defense stations, though.

Stations are really generally useless at the moment yea, but the game's combat seems to be heavily biased towards numbers rather then quality. You can easily take down a single ship/station using a fleet of corvettes of the same or ever lower firepower.

Also, you should be able to set priority targets during combat or something. At the moment, the AI will often focus fire single ships in your fleet, while your own fleet likes to spread he damage across several targets, meaning you'll likely never win engagements against a fleet of similar numbers/firepower.
Ignoring that Corvettes are broken (well if you break them)... They are sort of meant to be effective chaff and I'd even go as far as to say the more "armored" version of what is available.

Battleships as silly as this sounds are meant to have support to be really effective. Being, in essence, more fragile then Corvettes.
The problem is that Corvettes are flat out more efficient on pretty much every metric. They're more effective at a given fleet weight, cost less and require less infrastructure to produce, and even casual upgrading still skyrockets their evasion to make them more resilient than cap ships slathered in shields and armor.

This is the ship rebalance mod I'm using right now. Here's what it does:

Small weapons: -25% damage
Large weapons: +40% damage, +50% cost
Corvettes: -15% evasion, removed S1M1 module
Destroyers: Removed L1 module
Cruisers and Battleships: Slightly increased build time, increased HP.
Strike Craft: Drastically increased range.

This is pretty much perfect. There were several issues with vanilla combat:
1. Evasion-stacking was too effective, to the point where it overshadowed everything else defensively, and Corvettes were the worst abusers-nobody playing the meta used anything heavier in MP. Ergo, evasion nerf to Corvettes.

2. Ten 1-damage weapons were equivalent in every way to one 10-damage weapon, except that they had higher net DPS because of their increased accuracy and could be fielded on cheaper platforms. The damage shifts mean that picking things to death isn't optimal, and you have an actual reason to mount Large weapons instead of 4S>2M>1L being the order of the day.

3. Strike craft were broken. Carriers don't brawl any more. Duh.

4. There was no actual durability advantage to building cap ships, they had the same HP as the equivalent fleet weight in light craft. Hence, HP buff. Build time and L weapon cost/time nerfs to keep things stable.

Fuckin' love it.

Here's some other good shit:

More Technologies: Makes Fallen Empire war demands usable by all empires. A bunch of new, relatively balanced, techs. Caste system for internal racial management. Extreme planet terraforming and colonization. New policies. Includes the ability to research the other FTL methods. Ho-leee shit. A+.

Remove stranded stations. Didn't get the chance to stomp enemy wormhole and defense stations in your territory before they surrendered? Don't want to start another war just to blow them up? Get this.

Extended Traits: Wondering why vanilla felt like it was missing a bunch of racial traits? Turns out that they were hiding in the workshop.

UI Mod 1080p: REQUIRED REQUIRED REQUIRED

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 19, 2016, 02:38:51 pm »

Can wormhole species have stations/fortresses that act as a wormhole station? I could see that being useful for defensive purposes.

Not without mods, afaik. Wormhole stations are just what they are... if you could have wormhole fortresses, that would be an awesome option for turtling mode.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 19, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »

@ Flying Dice:

I can understand the logic behind reducing the damage of smaller weapons, but doesn't that just make early battles take much longer?

I'm also concerned about what sort of effect this will have on battles against hostile creatures. Many of those things have large weapons which will likely massacre any fleet of corvettes given these changes, but quite often these creatures also block expansion and so you almost have to deal with them. Hell, quite often a 150 power amoeba can wander into your starting system and begin wrecking stuff, and good luck stopping that with three measly base-level corvettes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 19, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: May 19, 2016, 03:01:09 pm »

Warscore needs tweaking. Just because I lost a spaceport on day one doesn't mean I must be forced into white peace as I blockaded enemy's only planet.

The whole war system needs tweaking. Why can I only take what I've agreed upon beforehand if I'm a militaristic fanatic xenophone despotic empire hellbent on wiping this species out and taking all their planets? It limits me to taking 2-3 planets, and if I'm in a federation I'll be lucky if I even get one out of the war. It's so silly, "oh, sorry enemy alien race whose language I didn't even decipher until right before the war started, I blew up all your fleets and have control of all your planets and aim to wipe you off the face of the galaxy. But hold on, I'm only going to take the three for myself that I was limited to asking politely for. I'll be back in ten years for three more, and then ten after that for the last two."

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 19, 2016, 03:10:23 pm »

Some screenshots to share.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure what's going on in the first picture since I've never actually played this game, Iceblaster asked me to share these for him :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2393 on: May 19, 2016, 03:13:20 pm »

Warscore needs tweaking. Just because I lost a spaceport on day one doesn't mean I must be forced into white peace as I blockaded enemy's only planet.

The whole war system needs tweaking. Why can I only take what I've agreed upon beforehand if I'm a militaristic fanatic xenophone despotic empire hellbent on wiping this species out and taking all their planets? It limits me to taking 2-3 planets, and if I'm in a federation I'll be lucky if I even get one out of the war. It's so silly, "oh, sorry enemy alien race whose language I didn't even decipher until right before the war started, I blew up all your fleets and have control of all your planets and aim to wipe you off the face of the galaxy. But hold on, I'm only going to take the three for myself that I was limited to asking politely for. I'll be back in ten years for three more, and then ten after that for the last two."

It's been a problem since Crusader Kings. Speaking of which!

Gonna play a game of CK2, then export to EUIV, then I guess I'll have to get Victoria and HoI, then finally take whoever is the largest power at the end of that game and make them into the human faction of a game of Stellaris.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 19, 2016, 03:38:15 pm »

War demand limits are especially annoying after huge federation vs federation wars which takes decades just to accumulate significant war score and change little of the status quo

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 19, 2016, 04:16:44 pm »

The devs are big Futurama fans if you didn't know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also I would love to be in DOoP

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 19, 2016, 04:20:32 pm »

Some other mod

Remove sector modification costs and let them build less military stuff
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682730778&searchtext=

Makes AI more dynamic
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682730778&searchtext=

Expanded war demands
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=684037552

For reference, the last one is part of what More Technologies does. That said, the author of Expanded War Demands has said that they're going to try to find out how to do more custom work on war demands and such in addition to unlocking the special ones.

@ Flying Dice:

I can understand the logic behind reducing the damage of smaller weapons, but doesn't that just make early battles take much longer?

I'm also concerned about what sort of effect this will have on battles against hostile creatures. Many of those things have large weapons which will likely massacre any fleet of corvettes given these changes, but quite often these creatures also block expansion and so you almost have to deal with them. Hell, quite often a 150 power amoeba can wander into your starting system and begin wrecking stuff, and good luck stopping that with three measly base-level corvettes.
Actually I've found that they're generally shorter. The evasion nerf means that corvette vs. corvette action resolves roughly at the same pace, while fighting hazards with too few corvettes tends to end very abruptly. The only real slowdown would be if you're taking on something like an amoeba with barely enough corvettes to kill it. In most cases, the decreased effectiveness means you're going to need to build more corvettes for them to live long enough to win, which tends to overcompensate for the lost per-weapon damage.

TBH I like the increased difficulty and risk. The potential for something nasty to steamroll your early military or block expansion is a lot more interesting than having to build an extra three corvettes to take care of the problem.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 19, 2016, 04:50:09 pm »

It's been a problem since Crusader Kings. Speaking of which!

Honestly, I'd be happy with the system from Vicky II, where you have wargoals, but you can add wargoals as the war goes on if you're doing well.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2398 on: May 19, 2016, 05:57:05 pm »

It'd be interesting to have a trait like "incomprehensible" that makes it so that other aliens can't learn your language, and it takes you a lot longer to learn other languages.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 19, 2016, 06:03:50 pm »

It's been a problem since Crusader Kings.
It's not a problem in Crusader Kings, exactly. It's reflective of the rules that Catholics followed after the Pope decreed that they couldn't just go and attack other Christians because they felt like it any more. Of course, CK2 added a bunch of other religions through DLC, where it doesn't fit as well, but they still generally make the CB system work broadly enough that it's only a bit awkward. The problem is, Stellaris doesn't have CBs and the war goals are not at all a well-developed system at this point. It should be something more along the lines of Vicky 2, where you can add war goals as things go along.  But with the way fleets work, a war is pretty much decided by the first big engagement, so if they did that the only limit on blobbing would be how long you feel like eating war exhaustion.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 632